Absorption vs Compressor Fridge

moiuk

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, dmr said:

Not sure about that, a Genius is a man who has at least two good ideas, and the absorption fridge was not a good one. :).

Relativity was quite clever but has still found no practical applications,

................Dave

I think Mike's reference was to Frank Einstein if you missed it ....

/bolts for the the neck door!

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think Mike's reference was to Frank Einstein if you missed it ....

/bolts for the the neck door!

Quite right, and DMR is normally right on it with my type of humour!!  I think hes bin on the porter again, or something....

:giggles:

Definitely no fan on my 12V fridge.  The control unit does have a connection labelled 'fan', but this is for connecting an external fan, only required if extra ventilation is required.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why should I? It runs quiet as a mouse!

All I said was, it doesn't have a fan....

Maybe you can't hear the fan cos its seized from all the dust ? 

Actually, modern ones have the heat-exchanger underneath (crazy idea cos heat rises) so need the fan. If yours has a conventional heat-exchanger up the back, it may not have a fan.

Edited by Stephen Jeavons

1 hour ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Maybe you can't hear the fan cos its seized from all the dust ? 

Actually, modern ones have the heat-exchanger underneath (crazy idea cos heat rises) so need the fan. If yours has a conventional heat-exchanger up the back, it may not have a fan.

Our shoreline fridge just had the condenser circuit built into the sides and back of the fridge cabinet, as is typical with most domestic fridges. No fan. Shoreline just purchased a brand of domestic fridge, forgotten which, less 240v compressor, and installed the danfoss 12/24 volt unit instead. In my experience the danfoss unit is a good bit of kit but needs an adequate supply of volts. Do not under feed.

Edited by DandV

59 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I am a fan (not computer) of gas fridges but my (large) gas absorption fridge/freezer is NOT silent.

What on earth sort of noise does it make then?!

Is it a GURL fridge perhaps? 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What on earth sort of noise does it make then?!

Is it a GURL fridge perhaps? 

We had an off grid property with two Electrolux, now Dometic small cabinet fridges. Chomped thru the gas. In  hot weather nearly 500gm per day each, and could be heard from metres away as a gentle hiss. If you missed the clack of the flame out release it was lack of that gentle hiss that was the first indication of an empty gas bottle. The danfoss shoreline was only slightly noisier except for the shudder the danfoss emitted prior to resting for a bit.

2 hours ago, DandV said:

Shoreline just purchased a brand of domestic fridge, forgotten which, less 240v compressor, and installed the danfoss 12/24 volt unit instead.

LEC,  I have been reliably informed.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'd rather pay £100 for solar than 3 bottles of propane ...

... and in winter you don't need to be running the fridge because it's cold outside!

That buys me over 300 watts of the latest solar panels, excess from a solar farm perfik

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

That buys me over 300 watts of the latest solar panels, excess from a solar farm perfik

We replaced the gas fridges  and a heap of candles with 800w of solar, a Victron combi Inverter and a bog standard 230v 300l fridge freezer and led lighting. Brilliant, but the new fridge was noisier then the gas units. Went from changing a 9kg bottle every ten days to every two months for cooking.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Interesting suggestion, it never occurred to me that accumulated dust could make a compressor more noisierer. 

If our fridge is anything to go by, the compressor noise level increases dramatically when the appliance manages to migrate a few centimetres, and makes contact with the kitchen unit beside it. The cure is to drag it out again, just those those few cm!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

If our fridge is anything to go by, the compressor noise level increases dramatically when the appliance manages to migrate a few centimetres, and makes contact with the kitchen unit beside it. The cure is to drag it out again, just those those few cm!

Mine likes to wind one of its feet up!! then it gets noisy in a big way, a few seconds screwing the foot out sorts it, time for threadlock methinks

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

LEC,  I have been reliably informed.

Both my Shoreline fridge and freezer came in cartons with Shoreline stickers over the makers name (they have no shame).

The maker is AMICA. They come from Poland. I doubt Shoreline has much input. Danfoss units are probably installed at the factory

https://www.amica.pl/en/page/15-Amica_in_Europe

Edited by Stephen Jeavons

8 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Both my Shoreline fridge and freezer came in cartons with Shoreline stickers over the makers name (they have no shame).

The maker is AMICA. They come from Poland. I doubt Shoreline has much input. Danfoss units are probably installed at the factory

https://www.amica.pl/en/page/15-Amica_in_Europe

The danfosse compressors are made in China according to the sticker on my shoreline fridge/freezer

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I disagree.  Propane is now £30 a refill and solar is cheap.  A good inverter lets you run a 3-way fridge on 240V  though, and they are much better at that than they are on gas.

No dispute that absorption fridges suck on 12V though :D

This sounds totally illogical to me.

They are appallingly inefficient on 12 volts, but they are surely equally appallingly efficient on 240 volts.

If you are not connected to a shoreline the amount of 12 volt battery power needed to run them through an inverter at 240 volts is surely not going to be less than what would be needed if run at 12 volts.

In fact, having just pulled up a manual for a small Electrolux example, it says its power usage 120 watts run on 12 volts, and 125 watts run on 230 volts, so definitely no better run through an inverter than directly.

The evidence is you are wrong, I think.

You would need an awful lot of solar to deal with something consuming 125 watts continually!

I think the difference is that on 240V and gas the thermostat will cycle the fridge heater so it is only drawing power when it's cooling, which in the summer maybe half the time.  On 12v the designer assumed it was in a vehicle travelling to the site and so a fast cool down is maybe a good idea so it stays on 100% of the time.

Therefore on 12V it is terrible, but on 240V it is only half terrible for power consumption.

Feel free to tell me if I am talking rubbish

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I think the difference is that on 240V and gas the thermostat will cycle the fridge heater so it is only drawing power when it's cooling, which in the summer maybe half the time.  On 12v the designer assumed it was in a vehicle travelling to the site and so a fast cool down is maybe a good idea so it stays on 100% of the time.

Therefore on 12V it is terrible, but on 240V it is only half terrible for power consumption.

You may or may not be talking rubbish, depending on exact model. ?

On some the 12 volt is actually thermostatically controlled, on some, (maybe most?), it is not.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

That was my understanding of the one we used to have.

@alan_fincher obviously has/had a different model, if his runs continuously on mains.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

That was my understanding of the one we used to have.

@alan_fincher obviously has/had a different model, if his runs continuously on mains.

Mine doesn't run continuously on mains, but the manual quotes a wattage, which I take to be what it is using when the thermostat is on.

I'm not on the boat to check right now, but from memory (even though it is not connected to anything!) ours is one of the models that is also thermostatically controlled if run off 12 volts.

Obviously if 230v has a stat, but 12 volts doesn't, it will use less run on 230v, but still not, I suggest, be any good with solar, unless you have an absolutely mahoosive array.

I would still say that away from a land-line they really can only practicably be run on gas.  Not cheap, but totally silent, and with absolutely no worries about batteries.

I have never seen a 12/240v/gas fridge that doesn't  have a thermostat on the 240v side.

Certainly the one in our tin tent has a stat on 240v, as did the ones I had on previous boats.

Edited by Loddon