Llangollen Closed

MHS

Featured Posts

My wife was walking some of the canal a bit further south of Wrenbury today and commented when she came in that the canal looked rather high, close to overtopping in some parts.

They will have reduced the flow at the horseshoe falls, but it takes about a day to reach the lower Llangollen, so it is not something CRT can respond to immediately.

I imagine the cross flow at some of the locks from the bywashes would have made going uphill into the locks interesting.

58 minutes ago, dor said:

(snip)

I imagine the cross flow at some of the locks from the bywashes would have made going uphill into the locks interesting.

Not as interesting as stopping to close top gates ?

53 minutes ago, haggis said:

It did indeed! 

Haggis 

A master of understatement! :D

Not really. The bank staff seemed optimistic earlier on,saying probably open tomorrow, but there's a plastic sheet dam gone in at Bridge 21, so someone's either pessimistic, realistic or just cautious.

Just spoken to guys on the ground and they are going to do a proper repair as they feel that anything temporary would not stand up to boats passing 

They reckonned about a week but more engineers coming today. Lots of big gennies at the lift Bridge which I assume is the nearest road access. 

Haggis 

11 hours ago, casper ghost said:

Says they are draining the section for engineers to look, but no photos or details anywhere. I guess we'll see, be quite a few boats, especially hire boats, stuck the wrong side.

Casp'

Yes this must be a real headache for the hire boat companies with boats going out from Chirk Wrenbury and Middlewich.  We got off the canal at the weekend absolutely flying with the increased flow and there's been a lot more rain since.  We were thinking a lot of the hire boats will be first timers and what a week to have chosen.

Iain reversed back this morning and while we filled with water about six boats arrived to go through the lift bridge unaware of the closure. Phoned CRT and suggested a notice in Wrenbury might be be useful. Some boaters took some convincing ?

Haggis 

Mny years ago I recall this happened further up, between Frankton and Maestermyn: it took them about 3 days to fix that. I suspect United Utilities (if it is they) will be watching closely given the water supply function, their predecessors did...

Latest report suggests that the canal and towpath will be closed for two to three weeks.  They are having to restore the bank and it will need piling.

Not good news for the hire companies on the Llangollen.  Or anyone else in the area for that matter.

23 hours ago, dor said:

Latest report suggests that the canal and towpath will be closed for two to three weeks.  They are having to restore the bank and it will need piling.

Not good news for the hire companies on the Llangollen.  Or anyone else in the area for that matter.

Indeed not good news. I am supposed to be taking our boat to Ellesmere dry dock for 8th July.  So, will be calling CRT on Monday to see what they suggest/recommend.