Cost of blackening on a 40ft 'er.........

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the South possibly £20 per foot

In the North £12 per foot

Could be +VAT.

Depends on how many coats and how long it takes in the dock.

Rule of thumb is three coats taking a week in the dock, is it not?

Mines due now and it works out at £10 per foot, plus a dry dock charge of 325.00 all plus vat.

Thats on the G&S canal.

Which don't sound a lot but for a 58fter its near £1100

Thats 2 coats and in for a week

Edited by rustydiver

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Rule of thumb is three coats taking a week in the dock, is it not?

Yes - but I had a quote from one 'yard' who planned to do 2 coats in a single day whilst it was held in the hoist.

Out in the morning and back in, in the afternoon.

I didn't use them.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Last time we had ours done it cost £10 per foot, which included haul-out, pressure washing, two coats of blacking and put-back.

Where was this out of interest ?

Edited by NewCanalBoy

Just now, NewCanalBoy said:

Are there places that allow you to do it yourself ? Maybe hire a pressure washer, then do the blackening yourself ?

Yes but you still need to hire a dry dock for 7 days (that's probably 50% of the cost) - but its not a job I'd do.

Much better to watch someone else do it.

2 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Are there places that allow you to do it yourself ? Maybe hire a pressure washer, then do the blackening yourself ?

There are, but probably not in Kent!

Where is your boat?

Mine is a 40 footer and is out of the water this week for bottom blacking.

The boat was pulled out on Saturday and jet washed.

Very early Sunday I used 2 1/2 litres of Primocon as a base coat.

Later Sunday I used 2 litres of Intertuf bitumen.

On Monday I used another 2 litres of Intertuf bitumen.

Due to the weather I may not be able to do my usual 3rd coat of Intertuf bitumen but may risk another coat along the waterline.

24 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Where was this out of interest ?

The Slipway, on the South Oxford just North of Cropredy. 

Welsh Richard 07790 843865.

I believe they allow self-op blacking but I don't know the charges.

18 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Mine is a 40 footer and is out of the water this week for bottom blacking.

The boat was pulled out on Saturday and jet washed.

Very early Sunday I used 2 1/2 litres of Primocon as a base coat.

Later Sunday I used 2 litres of Intertuf bitumen.

On Monday I used another 2 litres of Intertuf bitumen.

Due to the weather I may not be able to do my usual 3rd coat of Intertuf bitumen but may risk another coat along the waterline.

Was this put on with a roller?  Two litres doesn't sound very much.  We used six litres per coat for 57ft.

We do the boat ourselves using Intertuf 16 and put on with a brush.  Put in a shed after pressure washing, first day to dry off, first coat next day with another day to cure, then second coat with another day to cure, then a wide third coat round the waterline and another day to dry off. Back in the water on day seven.

On the 57ft hull we used six litres each for the first two coats and about three litres on the last coat.

We do it ourselves to make sure it is done properly.  Too many boatyards will maybe put two coats on with a roller on the same day, give it another day (if you are lucky) then back in the water.  We paid £480 for slipping, pressure washing and a week in a shed.  £110 for the Intertuf.

Ours was done last week at http://www.springwoodhaven.co.uk/

From their website: 

Slipway

Our slipway is suitable for narrow boats only.

Hull BlackingBoat Slip, Pressure Wash plus 2 coats of Hull Black Bitumen − £8.25 per foot. (£330.00 minimum charge) Further Coats of Black £1.75 per foot per coat. Intertuf, 2 pack etc. available at extra charge.

DIY SlipwayBoat Slip plus 4 Days (including day in & day out) £250.00. Further Days £50.00 per day.

Hire of Pressure Washer − DIY £38.00 Pressure Washed: £1.75 per foot

Anodes

• 1.5 Kg £36.00 each fitted.
  • 2.8 Kg £46.00 each fitted.
  • 3.5 Kg £52.00 each fitted.
  • 4.5Kg £72.00 each fitted
  • 2.5 Kg (Flat type for hull sides) £50.00 each fitted

Customers may remain onboard their boat whilst on the slipway at their own risk.

John spent a day scraping, wire brushing, and painting rust spots after the marina power washed the hull, The marina also put on two coats of intertuf blacking. 

Tips for a happy relationship.... always wash the shower after showering! That was the first time I've had a shower where I came out blacker than I went in ?

Nip the boat up to Langley Mill boatyard top of the erewash. Nice trip out. Brilliant dock at very good rates or let them do it for you at peanuts rates. £7.50 per foot and do a bloody good job. Ive paid double and had a worse job done. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The Slipway, on the South Oxford just North of Cropredy. 

Welsh Richard 07790 843865.

I believe they allow self-op blacking but I don't know the charges.

Welsh Richard does a good job. Had two boats done there over the years.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Welsh Richard does a good job. Had two boats done there over the years.

....it's actually his rather startling-looking but very affable mate Mark who does most of the blacking work.

We have had various jobs done by Richard and they've always been O.K. Just don't ask him any remotely technical question, or you'll be there for half an hour as he gives an erudite and detailed answer. I tend to glaze over after the first five minutes.

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

....it's actually his rather startling-looking but very affable mate Mark who does most of the blacking work.

We have had various jobs done by Richard and they've always been O.K. Just don't ask him any remotely technical question, or you'll be there for half an hour as he gives an erudite and detailed answer. I tend to glaze over after the first five minutes.

He is fine. Changed a prop for me not too long ago. The glazing over is caused by the smell of burning " Herbs " in the vicinity lol. Yes Mark does the actual blacking and its a reasonable job. Love the way the boat is whizzed out by tractor even though the last few feet get a bit damp lol.