Another leak?

haggis

Featured Posts

On 12/06/2019 at 09:43, haggis said:

Just left Barbridge and there is a whirlpool in the canal just south of bridge 99. Reported to CRT 

HAGGIS 

Just read on a farcebook incident page that C&RT are working on some sort of 'hole' between bridges 98 & 99.(Yes,they are looking into it !?)

Edited by The Bearwood Boster
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Just read on a farcebook incident page that C&RT are working on some sort of 'hole' between bridges 98 & 99.(Yes,they are looking into it !?)

Ah, so it might not have been the sluice as was suggested 

Haggis 

We are currently at Nantwich, and the canal seems to be down about 3 inches from normal level, judging by wet weed on the concrete edging. I'm pretty sure it was above normal when we were at Barbridge a couple of days ago. Looks like it is a leak after all, despite the "expert opinions" that whirlpools in the middle of the canal are normal when a sluice is open! ?

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

We are currently at Nantwich, and the canal seems to be down about 3 inches from normal level, judging by wet weed on the concrete edging. I'm pretty sure it was above normal when we were at Barbridge a couple of days ago. Looks like it is a leak after all, despite the "expert opinions" that whirlpools in the middle of the canal are normal when a sluice is open! ?

Do you know if they now have stop planks in place Iain?

Cheers Mike

5 minutes ago, MHS said:

Do you know if they now have stop planks in place Iain?

Cheers Mike

We came off the Llangollen and turned right and there were no stop planks between the Llangollen and Nantwich. Don't think there are any further up or we would have had a stoppage notice 

Haggis 

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

You've never heard of the Barbridge Triangle then? ?

• Greenie 1

I had lunch with my daughter at the Barbridge Inn a couple of weeks ago. The service has gone downhill a bit and the food was nothing special. The beer however was very good. 

14 hours ago, Iain_S said:

We are currently at Nantwich, and the canal seems to be down about 3 inches from normal level, judging by wet weed on the concrete edging.  ?

Hi Iain

Hope all well with you. How is the water level in Nantwich this morning?

I was due to come over to our boat on Sunday night, but decided to come over early this morning. Which was fine until our car battery decided to die! The car is 6 1/2 years old, on its original, so can’t complain. 

Hopefully there will be an update this morning. I couldn't believe it when a boater at Wrenbury was complaining at 9 am yesterday that CRT hadn't issued an update. Good grief, the problem happened  on Wednesday afternoon and they said they they would issue an update on Friday. When I reminded him him of this he said they should have issued an update as he needed to know. Unbelievable 

Haggis 

17 hours ago, hider said:

A passing boater has just remarked that the level at Barbridge on the Middlewich branch is down about 8", so there would seem to be a leak somewhere.

Please tell us how fast he was going.

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

Hopefully there will be an update this morning. I couldn't believe it when a boater at Wrenbury was complaining at 9 am yesterday that CRT hadn't issued an update. Good grief, the problem happened  on Wednesday afternoon and they said they they would issue an update on Friday. When I reminded him him of this he said they should have issued an update as he needed to know. Unbelievable 

Haggis 

If he was at Wrenbury he could walk up and ask them! My boat is just below Wrenbury and I walked up to where they have closed the canal (Bridge 21) and spoke to the guys there yesterday. It's not a long walk.

5 minutes ago, steve7a3 said:

If he was at Wrenbury he could walk up and ask them! My boat is just below Wrenbury and I walked up to where they have closed the canal (Bridge 21) and spoke to the guys there yesterday. It's not a long walk.

I know. It was when he was walking past our boat (a couple of hundred yards before the manual lift bridge) that he said it. He obviously didn't think he should  try and find out for himself like everyone else did. 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis

21 hours ago, MHS said:

I had lunch with my daughter at the Barbridge Inn a couple of weeks ago. The service has gone downhill a bit and the food was nothing special. The beer however was very good. 

We had dinner there a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say the food and the service were absolutely first-class.

20 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

We had dinner there a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say the food and the service were absolutely first-class.

Glad you had a good experience. We really do like the pub, so let’s hope we experienced a temporary blip. We are heading off in 3 weeks on a 4 month cruise of the northern canals, so won’t be able to pop in again soon. 

On 12/06/2019 at 09:43, haggis said:

Just left Barbridge and there is a whirlpool in the canal just south of bridge 99. Reported to CRT 

HAGGIS 

In response to Haggis's post here is the story doing the rounds at Middlewich. Allegedly a sluice was opened (as you suggest elsewhere) but when the level had dropped to a safe level, it wouldn't shut again. We heard from passing boaters that the sluice is now shut again. 

41 minutes ago, catweasel said:

In response to Haggis's post here is the story doing the rounds at Middlewich. Allegedly a sluice was opened (as you suggest elsewhere) but when the level had dropped to a safe level, it wouldn't shut again. We heard from passing boaters that the sluice is now shut again. 

Yes it was shut when we came past yesterday. I didn't see the whirlpool but iain said that from the back of the boat he was looking right down it. 

Haggis