Another leak?

haggis

Featured Posts

Thanks for reporting, at the moment we have plenty of water.

Unfortunately I must name and shame Kelpie.   Yes, it was raining quite hard when you passed me moored yesterday afternoon on  the branch but your stoic forward looking stance did little to excuse the excessive speed and wash. And it is not as though I was the only boat moored there at the time.

2 minutes ago, hider said:

Unfortunately I must name and shame Kelpie.   Yes, it was raining quite hard when you passed me moored yesterday afternoon on  the branch but your stoic forward looking stance did little to excuse the excessive speed and wash. And it is not as though I was the only boat moored there at the time.

Its usualy private boat owners innitt, not those poor hirers :ninja:

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, hider said:

Curious you should take issue with wash rather than the draw. I find the draw of water from under my boat along with and back/forward surge much more of a problem than the wash, when I fail to moor up properly. Even really speeding narrow boats don't usually leave much of a wash. 

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, haggis said:

Oh dear. That might have been me steering and although I may have passed moored boats at more than tick over I don't think I have ever boated with a breaking wash. I remember passing several moored boats yesterday and If I saw they were either on rings or nappy pins or permanently moored I would have slowed down but not to tick over. If a boat is moored on pins I creep past. If your boat was not properly moored and moved I do apologise but I must admit I didn't notice any moving. In fact most boaters acknowledged the fact that I had slowed by waving. 

Haggis 

If you are of the female gender with glasses, it was.

I did wave but you were peering into the rain. Oh, not a breaking wash but as the level is at maximum (wonder why?) we were on tight ropes to our permanent posts with strings and bobbed up and down for a while. Its compounded as we are close to a bridge.

Apology accepted. Next time we shoot.?

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Just left Barbridge and there is a whirlpool in the canal just south of bridge 99. Reported to CRT 

HAGGIS 

I’d fish the Whirlpool out and return it under the Recall. Lol

• Happy 2

4 hours ago, haggis said:

Oh dear. That might have been me steering and although I may have passed moored boats at more than tick over I don't think I have ever boated with a breaking wash. I remember passing several moored boats yesterday and If I saw they were either on rings or nappy pins or permanently moored I would have slowed down but not to tick over. If a boat is moored on pins I creep past. If your boat was not properly moored and moved I do apologise but I must admit I didn't notice any moving. In fact most boaters acknowledged the fact that I had slowed by waving. 

Haggis 

I think you may have passed us a couple of days ago just outside of Middlewich where we are moored by the aqueduct? If indeed it was you, your boat passed us at a very sensible speed.

28 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I think you may have passed us a couple of days ago just outside of Middlewich where we are moored by the aqueduct? If indeed it was you, your boat passed us at a very sensible speed.

When Kelpie was moored at Streethay Wharf she reguarly passed our mooring and never once sped past.

• Greenie 1

We are moored just before the stoppage and engineers have just arrived on site to decide how serious it is and whether the canal needs to be closed and if so how long for. 

It has been an eventful day as Kelpies got stuck on a weir and it took about 8 of us pulling on ropes and lots of engine power to free her. The flow down the canal is very strong and some boats are struggling against it. 

Going back to the start of of this thread, the whirlpool was because CRT had opened a  sluice to off load of some water. We had discounted that theory as the whirlpool was several feet of out from the bank. 

Haggis 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most unusual for a canal to be closed due to too much water!

And fairly typically about the only place in the country that isn't getting hammered with rain are the Leeds Liverpool summit reservoirs at Foulridge - where the locks are already on water restrictions!

It's raining up there, but nothing like everywhere else has been getting.

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

And fairly typically about the only place in the country that isn't getting hammered with rain are the Leeds Liverpool summit reservoirs at Foulridge - where the locks are already on water restrictions!

It's raining up there, but nothing like everywhere else has been getting.

But Foulridge is due to get some tonight. Let’s hope it helps the reservoir as in the May reservoir watch it was down on last year. 

Things just get better ?. In the cotton arms and the draft beer was off as the cellar was flooded! Not long after we started on the red wine the draft came back on. Lucky white Heather ?

Haggis 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, haggis said:

Things just get better ?. In the cotton arms and the draft beer was off as the cellar was flooded! Not long after we started on the red wine the draft came back on. Lucky white Heather ?

Haggis 

Hi Haggis

have you heard anything from crt as to if there is a real problem with a leak?

cheers Mike

Everyone We've spoken to reckons it's normal, and caused by a sluice open at the side weir. Must be a big sluice!

I've seen whirlpools at locks when paddles open, but the only time I've seen anything similar to this one  was a failed culvert under the canal.

The Llangollen one is getting fixed permanently, and guys on the ground reckon a week at least.