hostel boats

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Why 12 ?  Anyone know ?   When we were camping with two boats, there was supposed to be 12 on each boat.  I sometimes seemed to have more than the legal number.  and they weren't all boys.

My first introduction to canaling was on a pair of self drive camping boats from UCC at Braunston, organised by a mixed venture scout group in 1973.

For years Belfast was operated as a self-steer hire boat for schools, scouts, youth groups and the like. The boat had 14 berths -12 in the main conversion cabin ( for the youngsters) and two in the back cabin ( for the adult leaders). I have wondered if this arrangement strictly complied with the BoT/ MCA rules on a maximum of 12 passengers - the leaders presumably being designated as crew.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

For years Belfast was operated as a self-steer hire boat for schools, scouts, youth groups and the like. The boat had 14 berths -12 in the main conversion cabin ( for the youngsters) and two in the back cabin ( for the adult leaders). I have wondered if this arrangement strictly complied with the BoT/ MCA rules on a maximum of 12 passengers - the leaders presumably being designated as crew.

Yes, we had 24 kids and two useless teachers, all in the holds.  The crew had the back cabins - it was our home.

I am not sure if it was legal to have an 11 year old boy steering a passenger boat, but he wanted to have a go.  All good fun.