Traditional Boats... a sense of entitlement?

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sure, but would you moor on a 48hr mooring a week before the mooring was reserved for the event, or would you moor somewhere nearby then move the last bit to the event at the appropriate time?

It's not a 48 hour mooring for the week before the event, because CRT have suspended it as such, and put out a notice to say so.

For the week leading up to, and the week after the event it is a nominated mooring for boats attending the show, which ours is, and therefore not infringing anything at all.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's not a 48 hour mooring for the week before the event, because CRT have suspended it as such, and put out a notice to say so.

For the week leading up to, and the week after the event it is a nominated mooring for boats attending the show, which ours is, and therefore not infringing anything at all.

Braunston, Grand Union Canal

Please be aware of restrictions in Braunston between Saturday 22 June and Friday 5 July 2019

for the Braunston Historic Boat Rally which is being held on Sat 29 June and Sun 30 June 2019

Please note the following mooring and cruising restrictions to accommodate the Rally:

Moorings

All the 48-hour moorings in Braunston will be suspended. This includes all the moorings from Braunston Turn to the Marina ladder bridge.

The suspended moorings will be in force as follows:

Braunston Turn to Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) - From Wednesday 26 June until 1800 hours Sunday 30 June for the use of historic and non-historic boats booked into the rally (staff and stall holders).

Between Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) and the Stop House - From 0800 Hours Saturday 22 June until 1800 Hours Sunday 30 June – historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders - excludes permanent moorings).

Marina bridge to the ladder Bridge (Braunston Marina) - From 0800 Hours Saturday 22 June until 1800 Hours Sunday 7 July - historic boats only (unless spaces become available after the show

4 minutes ago, johnmck said:

But it is.

If I moored on a 48 hour mooring for ten days, and you noted my prescence, you would comment on here. Because it's a historic boat, it's ok.

There are miles of moorings outside of Braunston. Why the need to abandon the boat contrary to the mooring restrictions. Its double standards.

No it's OK because CRT have suspended normal use of the mooring, and allocated it to a specific purpose.

If CRT had not made it a legitimate mooring for me to use then I wouldn't use it.

I have explained already why some people would not otherwise be able to exhibit a boat at these events without CRT changing the status of the moorings to make it possible.

2 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Braunston, Grand Union Canal

Please be aware of restrictions in Braunston between Saturday 22 June and Friday 5 July 2019

for the Braunston Historic Boat Rally which is being held on Sat 29 June and Sun 30 June 2019

Please note the following mooring and cruising restrictions to accommodate the Rally:

Moorings

All the 48-hour moorings in Braunston will be suspended. This includes all the moorings from Braunston Turn to the Marina ladder bridge.

The suspended moorings will be in force as follows:

Braunston Turn to Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) - From Wednesday 26 June until 1800 hours Sunday 30 June for the use of historic and non-historic boats booked into the rally (staff and stall holders).

Between Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) and the Stop House - From 0800 Hours Saturday 22 June until 1800 Hours Sunday 30 June – historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders - excludes permanent moorings).

Marina bridge to the ladder Bridge (Braunston Marina) - From 0800 Hours Saturday 22 June until 1800 Hours Sunday 7 July - historic boats only (unless spaces become available after the show

For clarity, what point are you trying to make by reposting that.

It seems to just confirm my statement that it is an official CRT change to normal restrictions at that site?

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

For clarity, what point are you trying to make by reposting that.

It seems to just confirm my statement that it is an official CRT change to normal restrictions at that site?

The boats I am referring to have been in situ for a week prior to the 22nd, allegedly.

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Sure, but the conversation had switched to boats on the event mooring a week before the reservations start, when it just a normal 48hr mooring.

I was suggesting that you wouldn't do that ...

2 minutes ago, johnmck said:

The boats I am referring to have been in situ for a week prior to the 22nd, allegedly.

Well unless they have some special dispensation from CRT that we are unaware of, clearly they should not have been, and could presumably get "ticketed" as a result.special arrangements

Actually, I suppose if they can find a space 2 days before those special arrangements kick in, they could still be legitimate - their allowed 2 days as a "normal moorer" followed by what is allowed under the special arrangements.  I don't actually know how CRT would choose to view that!

19 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I cant get my head round why they suspend it for a week after the event. if the boat is on the moorings then its there, if its left why shouldn't others be able to use the mooring.

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well unless they have some special dispensation from CRT that we are unaware of, clearly they should not have been, and could presumably get "ticketed" as a result.special arrangements

Actually, I suppose if they can find a space 2 days before those special arrangements kick in, they could still be legitimate - their allowed 2 days as a "normal moorer" followed by what is allowed under the special arrangements.  I don't actually know how CRT would choose to view that!

At last..

Whatever the event. Whatever the boat type, abide by the rules. 

Trying to justify abuse only reinforces the stereotypical type.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I cant get my head round why they suspend it for a week after the event. if the boat is on the moorings then its there, if its left why shouldn't others be able to use the mooring.

As I understand it the restriction is suspended for the week after to allow those who have attended to leave their boats there legitimately until the following weekend. But the signs setting out the suspension are removed immediately after the event, so that anybody turning up can use any space not occupied in accordance with the normal rules (48 hours in this case).

20 hours ago, David Mack said:

As I understand it the restriction is suspended for the week after to allow those who have attended to leave their boats there legitimately until the following weekend. But the signs setting out the suspension are removed immediately after the event, so that anybody turning up can use any space not occupied in accordance with the normal rules (48 hours in this case).

I'm not sure you or Alan are grasping the fact that CHERTSEY was moored there on the 48hr VMs last weekend on Sat 15th June when we passed. Not dumped, but occupied as we waved at each other as we passed. 

Now it is quite possible that they cruised off in the interim and moored somewhere else for the week then returned to the same spot. I have no idea. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure you or Alan are grasping the fact that CHERTSEY was moored there on the 48hr VMs last weekend on Sat 15th June when we passed. Not dumped, but occupied as we waved at each other as we passed. 

Now it is quite possible that they cruised off in the interim and moored somewhere else for the week then returned to the same spot, but somehow I doubt it.

I wasn't addressing that point. I was responding to Ditchcrawler's observation about what happens after the event.

9 hours ago, johnmck said:

At last..

Whatever the event. Whatever the boat type, abide by the rules. 

Trying to justify abuse only reinforces the stereotypical type.

Please quote any point at which i have tried to justify abuse of the rules.

I'm not aware of having written anything that made any attempt to.

Well last year we were there 4 days early , on the first night we had a springer tied against us , as they couldnt find a spot, the second a hire boat full of dutch people. 

We have a sign we put out saying please feel free to moor alongside if you need to. 

You meet some nice people.

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Winter moorings I believe, having seen a notice to thus effect, say that you cannot add a 14 day onto the end to extend it, without moving off and, I assume, comply with any cc declaration.

It’s a well known calendared event, so I don’t understand why anyone should get all upperty over reserved moorings for the period. And who knows, maybe Chertsey with work commitments needs an additional period and has arranged something. What happened to benefit of the doubt?

Does anyone really give a flying thought about a few extra day anyway? 

I wonder if those sticklers for the rules have never needed to have some slack cut for themselves. 

Braunston is not my thing, I attended once by car. The event is too well attended I don’t enjoy crowds. 

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s a well known calendared event, so I don’t understand why anyone should get all upperty over reserved moorings for the period. 

No-one is getting upperty about the reserved moorings. 

Except those who have misunderstood or not read the thread properly... 

• Greenie 1

So if it's someone you know overstaying and on a historic boat going to a rally, it's okay.

If it's a stranger who's doing something trivial like working or taking the kids to school, it's unforgivable :)

Rog

2 minutes ago, dogless said:

So if it's someone you know overstaying and on a historic boat going to a rally, it's okay.

If it's a stranger who's doing something trivial like working or taking the kids to school, it's unforgivable :)

Rog

Not bothered either way. 

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No-one is getting upperty about the reserved moorings. 

Except those who have misunderstood or not read the thread properly... 

Or are calling into question and naming alledged overstayers 

We now avoid Braunston at boat rally time since we were passing through during the week before the rally one year and needed to do a bit of shopping (not overnight, just an hour or so) . We saw all the signs  but really needed some food shopping. We asked the occupant of a moored boat there for the festival if they thought it would be OK to stop for a short time and were told that yes it was but if the boat whose allocated mooring it was arrived we would need to move. I went shopping while Iain stayed with the  boat and we moved off smartish as soon as I came back. 

We felt very much like second class citizens who shouldn't have the temerity to want to stop on the hallowed moorings ? 

haggis

19 minutes ago, dogless said:

Rog

Chip, shoulder?

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

So just the same as the may timeshare event then and crick and a hundred other events.The organisers assist attendance ,the crowds turn up and it rains. There is a minor reduction in mooring for a minimum period. The boats breast up as much as possible to reduce impact.

I would suggest they are breasted up to double revenue