Traditional Boats... a sense of entitlement?

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

Passed a succession of historic boats today (3 or 4) between Anderton and Preston Brook, they were finally escaping from the Rochdale / Hebden. All driven well and populated by cheerful friendly people. So it is dangerous to generalise!

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Passed a succession of historic boats today (3 or 4) between Anderton and Preston Brook, they were finally escaping from the Rochdale / Hebden. All driven well and populated by cheerful friendly people. So it is dangerous to generalise!

As Blackadder says ‘ im a complicated person you see, sometimes im nice and sometimes Im nasty.’

just like everyone then

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Ah, but if you had gone a different way and seen us trying to fight our way away from Manchester via the Ashton & Peak Forest, you would certainly have encountered the more stereotypical miserable git on on historic boat.  It has frankly been nothing short of a nightmare, (probably actually an understatement!), and I'm not sure I've been totally polite to all the many "helpful" people trying to offer us "advice" at times of difficulty.

This particularly applies to the person who parked their mobility scooter on the offside of an Ashton lock, such that the lower end balance beams would sweep it into the canal if the gates were to be pushed open.  You sir, were a bloody nuisance, and the delay caused by you trying to work out where you had put the damned keys for it caused most of the problems that then followed!  (No, seriously people - don't ask!).

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Ah, but if you had gone a different way and seen us trying to fight our way away from Manchester via the Ashton & Peak Forest, you would certainly have encountered the more stereotypical miserable git on on historic boat.  It has frankly been nothing short of a nightmare, (probably actually an understatement!), and I'm not sure I've been totally polite to all the many "helpful" people trying to offer us "advice" at times of difficulty.

This particularly applies to the person who parked their mobility scooter on the offside of an Ashton lock, such that the lower end balance beams would sweep it into the canal if the gates were to be pushed open.  You sir, were a bloody nuisance, and the delay caused by you trying to work out where you had put the damned keys for it caused most of the problems that then followed!  (No, seriously people - don't ask!).

I'm so sorry I missed you.

I would have been more than happy to offer comments from the cheap seats!  Well, that and a windlass ...

(I would have pushed the gate anyway ... You can't differentiate between the able bodied and the more challenged these days ...)

59 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Next time just lift the scooter out of the way!

Never mind, Marple flight is lovely.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

These would be the boats we saw come through Lymm yesterday.All smiles & chatty !

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Ah, but if you had gone a different way and seen us trying to fight our way away from Manchester via the Ashton & Peak Forest, you would certainly have encountered the more stereotypical miserable git on on historic boat. 

Here endeth the lesson ...

4 hours ago, Tuscan said:

Some entitlement remains as a couple of boats are still on the 48 hour moorings at Braunston after the show. Or perhaps the owners are ill, I hope not.

4 hours ago, Tuscan said:

I think the 2 referred to are Raymond and Renfrew. Whatever one things of the Raymond,s rebuild it’s nice to see it back in Braunston even if it is on the Whitlocks mooring. Had a word with Avril on the cafe boat but she doesn’t want to move.

i can almost see Arthur and Ernie again. 

4 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I think the 2 referred to are Raymond and Renfrew. Whatever one things of the Raymond,s rebuild it’s nice to see it back in Braunston even if it is on the Whitlocks mooring. Had a word with Avril on the cafe boat but she doesn’t want to move.

i can almost see Arthur and Ernie again. 

No these have arrived since we came through on Monday. Raymond looks much smarter than it must have done when working. I’m told the two in question were there before the show and are still on the 48 hrs now. But hey who cares.

46 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I can almost see Arthur and Ernie again. 

Arthur Bray at Sutton's.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Raymond has been in the dry dock all weekend getting remedial care for a large area of rotten wood under the steel protective plating. .....along with the team learning how to tar and caulk properly.(although this was not the reason for the leak). 

That would be steel protective coating what we used to call a tingle. Otherwise known as theres a soft  bit, pour in some bitumen , put some felt on top , bang on a bit of zinc covered tin and hope.

it never got better underneath.

i did a lot of work on the Jimmy at one time, i had tingles on tingles.