Travel from Liverpool Marina to Rufford

All Right Now

Featured Posts

Hi, we are moored in Liverpool Marina and looking to move out onto the Leeds and Liverpool canal to Rufford early July. We're new to boating and this will be the first time we've taken the boat onto the canal and wondered if anyone has done this trip recently. If so, are there any particular things we should consider prior to the trip regarding potential problem areas ? We anticipate moving to a marina within a 2 day trip initially. I realise this is a vague question but as new boaters any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

You'll need to be aware of the time restrictions for the trip out of Liverpool (Stanley Locks and Coxhead Swing Bridge) and familiarise yourself with lock operation if you have not already. Perhaps you know someone who could accompany you out of Liverpool, or buddy-up with a boat leaving Salthouse Dock?

You will also need to swap your aluminium anodes for magnesium ones fairly quickly.  This can be done either at the two marinas in Rufford or at Mayor's Boatyard at Tarleton. 

Aluminium anodes are the correct ones for the brackish water in Liverpool docks but the wrong ones for freshwater on the canal.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Spellink

Whilst having the boat in Liverpool we've gone from not knowing anything about anodes to now fully understanding the differences. It's a bit of a long story but the boat was a new build and magnesium anodes were fitted by the builder. These had to be changed to zinc when the fitted anodes quickly eroded in the marina. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, All Right Now said:

Thanks for the reply. We're heading towards Rufford and expect to moor overnight en-route. Could you suggest a good location for us to do this - preferably near a canal side pub or close to a village ?

If you are happy with a long day's cruise perhaps you could make it to Burscough, but if you don't have time to get there perhaps Scarisbrick or Halsall.

Is this a narrowboat or a widebeam?

You should start at 8a.m. when Crt are manning the half tide lock, as even though they say this is now self-service I don't think it is. You can then get to Coxshead swing bridge in a single longish day. Its currently is only available monday and Friday at midday, but will likely be fixed by the end of the month. Reputed to be a very good (interesting) pub if you are willing to walk about a mile. You can then get to Rufford the next day.

Lots of Swing bridges to work, and be prepared for a weedhatch visit or two. Lots of weed and plastic bags in the canal just out of Liverpool, probly because canal was closed last year. Short blasts of reverse should remove most foulings.

...............Dave

Maybe leave a day early and spend an extra night at Coxshead, its an OK place. If you are not making good time getting out of Liverpool then stop for the first night at Melling just after the little swing bridge, that's an ok place too and usually has a good sunset. There is a pub a little walk away but we have never been in as until recently it was not dog-friendly.

Wango swing bridge is not available from 2pm to 6pm (I think) so if Liverpool is really slow for you you might just miss this (its an easy target in a narrowboat). Some people do overnight there but I would wait till 6 then go on to Melling, its not far.

.............Dave

1 hour ago, John Wareing said:

Using the Ribble Link is not exactly easy for anyone with little boating experience. Can a widebeam even get up Savick Brook? I don't know but it's very narrow in places with some tight bends even for a narrowboat.

Maximum width is 10ft 6", but last month I understand that new widebeam bookings were being temporarily suspended so best to check what the current position is.