Fare well coal boat Roach.

Ray T

Featured Posts

They sold to Chamberlain fuels (I think, also trading as Charlton Whitehouse), who delivered the last lot of coal ordered through John.  Chamberlain operate Mountbatten, and usually worked the Llangollen, but can't get back up through Hurleston No. 4.

Having said that, I've not seen Mountbatten for a while so they may have moved on to another area or are having the summer off.  Also Halsall regularly does much of the area.

Edited by dor

45 minutes ago, dor said:

They sold to Chamberlain fuels (I think, also trading as Charlton Whitehouse), who delivered the last lot of coal ordered through John.  Chamberlain operate Mountbatten, and usually worked the Llangollen, but can't get back up through Hurleston No. 4.

Having said that, I've not seen Mountbatten for a while so they may have moved on to another area or are having the summer off.  Also Halsall regularly does much of the area.

Mountbatten and Jellicoe have come south for the Summer, someones wedding and Foxton festival next week amongst other activities, should be returning late August 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Mountbatten and Jellicoe have come south for the Summer, someones wedding and Foxton festival next week amongst other activities, should be returning late August 

Bought diesel and gas of them in Burton a couple of months, or less, ago. They were on their way to Erewash Canal for a new prop shaft.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Bought diesel and gas of them in Burton a couple of months, or less, ago. They were on their way to Erewash Canal for a new prop shaft.

Chatted with them at Foxton a couple of weeks back, on the way back from the Erewash with a new prop shaft.

MP.

6 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Chatted with them at Foxton a couple of weeks back, on the way back from the Erewash with a new prop shaft.

MP.

Chatted with them at the weekend at Stowe Hill, with a new prop shaft, now on their way back to Foxton....

3 hours ago, dor said:

"Roach" didn't sell to Chamberlain Carrying Co, he sold out to Charlton Whitehouse Fuels. Chamberlain are continuing to supply some customers on the Llangollen & Shropshire Union.

Up until retirement,  John & Jenny Jackson supplied many boat and land based establishments with their products for resale. You would find coal bags with "John Jackson Roach" on them all over the system. John and Jenny supplies many coal boats too such as Richard and Ruth (Chamberlain),  all of the Jules Fuels fleet and of course myself and others.

After all those years building the business to what it is today, must of been a bloody hard decision to make, especially parting with your boat after 30 years of ownership.

Best of luck to them both. Time to kick back and take it easy and enjoy retirement now. They certainly deserve it.

24 minutes ago, Liam said:

"Roach" didn't sell to Chamberlain Carrying Co, he sold out to Charlton Whitehouse Fuels. Chamberlain are continuing to supply some customers on the Llangollen & Shropshire Union.

I understood the general coal business was sold last year, but ROACH has only just been sold - but who to, and is it really going to be a trip boat :captain:

22 minutes ago, Liam said:

You would find coal bags with "John Jackson Roach" on them all over the system.

Yep - I've still got a pair!  Maybe I should hang onto them?

I always liked the idea that even when I couldn't get coal from a boat, I could still be supporting one. Here's to a long and happy retirement! :)

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yep - I've still got a pair!  Maybe I should hang onto them?

I always liked the idea that even when I couldn't get coal from a boat, I could still be supporting one. Here's to a long and happy retirement! :)

I've still got three full bags in the garage.

48 minutes ago, Liam said:

Up until retirement,  John & Jenny Jackson supplied many boat and land based establishments with their products for resale. You would find coal bags with "John Jackson Roach" on them all over the system. John and Jenny supplies many coal boats too such as Richard and Ruth (Chamberlain),  all of the Jules Fuels fleet and of course myself and others.

After all those years building the business to what it is today, must of been a bloody hard decision to make, especially parting with your boat after 30 years of ownership.

Best of luck to them both. Time to kick back and take it easy and enjoy retirement now. They certainly deserve it.

Thanks for the clarification Liam.  I got a bit confused for a while as I would order from Jenny, then it turned up on different boats.

On 11/06/2019 at 17:51, Rob-M said:

Last time I saw Roach on the main line...

20160721123839.JPG.b179e6c6589b46734c3d4a33a35480a5.JPG

I am going to miss seeing John with Roach loaded right down with his paint in the water, ploughing a deepwater channel allover he BCN.

• 1 month later...
On 11/06/2019 at 19:27, Liam said:

As Liam said we have not brought John and Jenny out, we just did some  delivered  for them and the  new owner Charlton Whitehouse Fuels, as well as loading are own stuff. It was a sad moment when they decided to give it all up,the end of a era . John is still helping load and will be doing odd bits for the new owners.

We are having the summer off and will be doing van deliveries up  the golli untill crt fix the bottom lock at Hurleston this winter.