EA East Anglian Division Takes Boaters to Court.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Six boat owners have been fined £4300 for failing to register their vessels.

The EA which bought the prosecutions  to Cambridge Magistrates Court in April is reminding boaters that they are legally required to register any vessel they keep, use, let or hire on EA waterways.

The EA is asking the public to report to them any boats not displaying a registration number.

This brings the total recouped THIS YEAR alone in the Anglian Region to £110,000.

Source : Page 10, "Practical Boat Owner" Summer 2019 Issue.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Does it mean £4300 each, or a total of £4300 between the 6 of them. If the latter, it barely seems more than they saved by not registering over a year.

That was my first thought too. And knowing how journalists' minds seem to work, I'd predict it turns out to be the sum of all six fines. 

Otherwise they'd have said "six boaters fined 25,800".

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Does it mean £4300 each, or a total of £4300 between the 6 of them. If the latter, it barely seems more than they saved by not registering over a year.

I would think it's all together because it says in the paper copy "Six boat owners have been fined a total of more than £4,300....."

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Dunno - but if t was £700 each they'd have to have caught and prosecuted (some) 180 boaters. (£110,000)

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Dunno - but if t was £700 each they'd have to have caught and prosecuted (some) 180 boaters. (£110,000)

That must be a decent percentage of the number of boats registered with EA Anglian!

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That must be a decent percentage of the number of boats registered with EA Anglian!

Going back a few years (2007) The EA Anglian Region had 4948 registered boats.

Of which 4496 were 'private' powered boats & 40 were 'hire' powered boats.

the balance were unpowered boats.

44 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It's the summer issue

...Groan...

28 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The only issue is that the fines seem to be very small.

I imagine the EA has no say in the maximum fine, but I'd suggest the 700 squid certainly isn't "pretty small" for some people, probably including those most likely to dodge the licence fees.  Those of us who could afford it would just have coughed up for the licence in the first place,

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

...Groan...

I imagine the EA has no say in the maximum fine, but I'd suggest the 700 squid certainly isn't "pretty small" for some people, probably including those most likely to dodge the licence fees.  Those of us who could afford it would just have coughed up for the licence in the first place,

You would like to think so but we know of several people who are more than capable of buying their boat licence but choose not too.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do the boaters also have to pay the omitted registration fees?

It does make you wonder why CRT don't bother with doing this, as they regularly quote 4% of 35,000 boats being unlicensed.  (1400 boats)

But this is not about boats that are just unlicenced. They are unregistered too.

And they all seem to have left Cambridge and come here for a stress-free, hassle-free life down on the K&A.