Rain!

haggis

Featured Posts

What's with all this wet stuff then? We left a lovely sunny Scotland yesterday and came down to kelpie with the intention of cruising the Llangollen as we haven't done that for years. First  job was for iain to change the batteries and no sooner had he done it than the rain started and it hasn't stopped and the forecast doesn't look good. 

That'll teach us to pay more attention to the English weather ?. I was expecting June weather! 

Haggis 

I know! Flaming June! It because they started closing locks for low reservoir levels! Had the stove on last night. At least the Leicester line should get topped up enough to stay open so I can get up there in September ?

All you need to know about the weather. June forecast seems to be accurate.

I didn't see the forecast, or listen to the song and removed the stove collar and flue to deal with the bubbling paint and rust around it last week, so a fire isn't an option at the moment. Wrapped up warm instead.

Jen

Thus far, very reminiscent of the "Summer" of 2012.

Set off with locks on restrictions. Decided to go north as more chance of a drop of the wet stuff.

Never stopped raining for the rest of the summer!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Thus far, very reminiscent of the "Summer" of 2012.

Set off with locks on restrictions. Decided to go north as more chance of a drop of the wet stuff.

Never stopped raining for the rest of the summer!

That was the year that Ange and Dave were going to camp next to Kathy's boat for her 50th in July and ended up on her boat as the water was 3 feet deep where the tent should have been!!

12 minutes ago, Paringa said:

Sorry, it is my fault... I have done the prep and bought the paint.

Although on the plus side it is washing the dust off...

No, It's CRT's fault. Lock restrictions together with doom and gloom prophesies always results in rain. :mellow: 

We had two rather grotty days' cruising in the rain last week, but at least we could consoles ourselves that it should help with water levels. The Ashby was certainly low beforehand, and as we head towards the L&L it could all get a bit nail-biting later in the summer without a bit of rain. 

Easy for us to say just now - the boat's in wet dock all week being painted, while we're staying with relatives in one of those 'house' thingies.

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The Trent was 18 inches down the other week couldnt get the mates boat onto its mooring! bet their is no problem now

18 inches below what ?

Here at Farndon it had been a bit low but not low enough to cause any issues .

Thought the Coventry was low last week, water being 3 or 4 inches below the weirs, we bumped along the bottom of Ashby a few times too (more than normal). Heard a rumour there was a problem with one of the sluices on the Coventry and it lost a lot of water, but can't confirm.  That's a lot of water from Glascote locks, to Sutton Stop, incl the Ashby.

This morning water is cascading over the top of the weirs.

It's not just english weather I should have checked! Just crawled through Middlewich. Apparently there is a festival this weekend and above Wardle lock it was interesting creeping between boats moored on both sides and one coming towards you. Saw a few names we recognised 

Haggis 

I have every faith that the weather will improve when it notices  that we are boating. We seem to have the knack of getting good weather when we are boating to the extent that  it is called "Street weather". Because we didn't plan this trip very far in advance the weather didn't have time to sort out itself out. Give it time! 

Haggis 

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

.  That's a lot of water from Glascote locks, to Sutton Stop, incl the Ashby.

What about Atherstone? But still a lot of water

Edited by Ex Brummie

5 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thought the Coventry was low last week, water being 3 or 4 inches below the weirs, we bumped along the bottom of Ashby a few times too (more than normal). Heard a rumour there was a problem with one of the sluices on the Coventry and it lost a lot of water, but can't confirm.  That's a lot of water from Glascote locks, to Sutton Stop, incl the Ashby.

The Coventry is low, my boat is on the bottom, so it is lower than it was at the end of last August.

Hopefully todays rain will increase the levels, so we can get off the mooring and have a cruise to celebrate 5 years of owning DQ. ?

• Greenie 1