Blacking paint

B2019

Featured Posts

Hi,

I used this paint. Put 4 coats on below the water line, allowing 24 hours between coats. Then 3 days before relaunching to harden up a little. 

3 years later the hull was still in remarkable good order, the boat yard were impressed with how well the hull looked. 

I would have thought that it would not be as good as Ballastic Black, or just plain bitumen, as it is quite thin and susceptible to scrapes, where bitumen is thicker and more resistive.

Amused to see it is not suitable for water tanks, as it used to be the 'go to' odourless and taint free coating before the E U rules required certification. It has painted my tank and I'm not dead yet.

AAAAaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

From the safety data sheet:

Main hazards: Flammable. Limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect. Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.

Does not sound ideal for the job to me!

Normally the safety sheet is for the product in the tin, ie wet & runny.  The solvents used will be harmful to aquatic life, but probably ok when fully dried.  People previously used (probably still do) this type of stuff for water tanks.

Contacted nearby Marina who sell 5 litre tubs of blacking paint for £36. Not as cheap as £18.00 per 5 litres at Toolstation but I would rather not pollute Canal with harmful chemicals. Got to keep the fish and ducks happy ?

• Greenie 1

Every decent hull blacking you can buy is harmful to aquatic life and can have long lasting effects.....

So long as its given time to dry properly, it becomes non harmful....hence the weed growth, freshwater shrimps and mussels which grow on boat hulls.

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Every decent hull blacking you can buy is harmful to aquatic life and can have long lasting effects.....

So long as its given time to dry properly, it becomes non harmful....hence the weed growth, freshwater shrimps and mussels which grow on boat hulls.

When I had my boat surveyed the baseplate was found to be covered in mussels.

Once they were jet washed off the baseplate was found to be unblacked. ?

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Normally the safety sheet is for the product in the tin, ie wet & runny.  The solvents used will be harmful to aquatic life, but probably ok when fully dried.  People previously used (probably still do) this type of stuff for water tanks.

Agreed, but this is roof paint and specifically says not for water tank use.

Why not just use one of the paints that is purpose made for the job,  and tried and tested?

Other "non marine" paints might be a bit cheaper, but by the time you have paid for the drydock/crane and spent some hours in the preparation the small cost saving on cheap paint is insignificant.

or if you are looking for a "better" paint then what about epoxy?

..............Dave

You could try Keelblack, I know my memory is going but I'm pretty sure that some of their original sales patter included "safe for all creatures, our grandma used it as stock in her gravy"....along with all the other wild claims.

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You could try Keelblack, I know my memory is going but I'm pretty sure that some of their original sales patter included "safe for all creatures, our grandma used it as stock in her gravy"....along with all the other wild claims.

Ahh keelblack, where did I put mine?

Oh yes, the skip.

On 10/06/2019 at 18:42, cuthound said:

When I had my boat surveyed the baseplate was found to be covered in mussels.

Once they were jet washed off the baseplate was found to be unblacked. ?

That’ll teach you to leave them in place next time. :P

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

That’ll teach you to leave them in place next time. :P

I did wonder whether their shells conduct electricity or not.

If not they could be a cheap.slternative to a GI or IT. ? 

A few years ago I allowed myself to be talked into buying Midland Chandlers own brand. It had just been introduced and was on special offer.  I left a half used can outside overnight in the rain. The following morning the paper label had half come off. I peeled it off (as you do) to discover it was in fact Black Jack. Identical to stuff I could have bought in B&Q much cheaper. :angry: Didn't prove to be much good 12 months later when the boat was blacked again (I tend to re-black every 12 to 18 months). Now use SML Ballistic.  

4 hours ago, Slim said:

Didn't prove to be much good 12 months later when the boat was blacked again (I tend to re-black every 12 to 18 months). Now use SML Ballistic.  

And how does the SML stuff look after 12-18 months Slim? Are you seeing evidence that you could extend your interval?