Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

Yesterday the team took Python up from West Stockwith to Torksey without any problems.

Leaving West Stockwith

Today they will have set off to Cromwell already. They are aware it will be a long day with so much fresh coming down but they have their heads screwed on and while it seems very strange for Dave and I not to be on board I am really happy that this old boat has so many highly motivated crew members that we really do not need to be on board. The team do not have Trent experience but have done their research and talked to all the people who's knowledge and experience we trust and they are enjoying an adventure. 

The Lister has now had a much needed de-coke and another group of the crew understand what we say about how she goes with some water under her prop! 

They tell me that Python was a weeny bit famous among the boaters at Torksey yesterday because nobody had locked out onto The Trent for several days according to the lockies and there were a lot of boaters watching and waiting and wondering whether to go or not. After seeing Python had no problems 3 more booked in for today! 

2 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Unfortunately, Trent still rising at Shardlow. Surely got to start falling eventually?

It's falling steadily at Alrewas, just been up to have a look and the lock landing bollards are now above water.

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is the rest of the Nene really that bad? On the Billing to Cogenhoe reach it rose by about a foot and is now a few inches above where it was before all this rain. But the flow is fairly tame. I guess it's all further downstream by now.

The riverside footpath under the rail bridge in Peterborough is under water, so the level is up a few feet.

Edited by nbfiresprite

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is the rest of the Nene really that bad? On the Billing to Cogenhoe reach it rose by about a foot and is now a few inches above where it was before all this rain. But the flow is fairly tame. I guess it's all further downstream by now.

I don't know. I was quoting third-hand information. I guess there might be complications in getting narrowboats up the tidal Nene and through Dog-in-a-Doublet lock against heavy fresh flow. Our next destination is the Middle Level, and Stanground lock becomes inoperable when the river is up.

MP.

Ironically, we are now hard aground and leaning on the Boston VMs. It will go up again once low tide passes.

MP.

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Its only up a matter of inches although quite a flow on in places at least between Wansford station and Yarwell lock.Above Yarwell lock about 6 inches. The main navigation restriction seems to be that the top gates at Yarwell are padlocked open!

19 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

So. The Soar is now open and the flood lock at redhill allows boats to go through.....onto the Trent which is still in flood. Seems a bit mad not to at least mention that?

crazy, however, there's probably a computer somewhere in a CRT office that doesn't know the 2 are connected - or that there's a weir to the right which will be running like mad dragging unsuspecting boaters towards it.

On 17/06/2019 at 21:38, matty40s said:

crazy, however, there's probably a computer somewhere in a CRT office that doesn't know the 2 are connected - or that there's a weir to the right which will be running like mad dragging unsuspecting boaters towards it.

I didn't think the flood lock was to stop boaters doing dangerous things, but to protect adjoining property. I suspect there is a duty on CaRT to open them up when no longer needed shut for that purpose. 

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I didn't think the flood lock was to stop boaters doing dangerous things, but to protect adjoining property. I suspect there is a duty on CaRT to open them up when no longer needed shut for that purpose. 

With the rain we have had over night I don't expect it will be long before the flood gates are shut again!

I think most of the rain fell further south and east so hopefully it should not affect Python on The Soar but Cranfleet Cut is still closed and they were hoping to reach Trent Lock today.

The fact that when the journey was planned on our in house bit of software Tuesday was left out for some reason we will never know means that they are already a day ahead of schedule ( I know! I dread to think how many times I am many other vounteers trawled over that schedule with diaries open and NONE of us noticed an entire day had been missed ? You really couldn't make it up!)

I have just had a brief chat with our friendly Trent Oracle and he suggests Cranfleet will open by lunchtime or mid afternoon at the latest.

They are thoroughly enjoying the trip so far even though it is not exactly the lovely summer weather we might have hoped for. The river below Holme Lock has been described as being like a Canadian river today as they dodged trees and logs and probably even the odd patio set on it's way down the river

Here is today's little video

https://www.facebook.com/NbPython/videos/304160703821253/

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

I think most of the rain fell further south and east so hopefully it should not affect Python on The Soar but Cranfleet Cut is still closed and they were hoping to reach Trent Lock today.

The fact that when the journey was planned on our in house bit of software Tuesday was left out for some reason we will never know means that they are already a day ahead of schedule ( I know! I dread to think how many times I am many other vounteers trawled over that schedule with diaries open and NONE of us noticed an entire day had been missed ? You really couldn't make it up!)

I have just had a brief chat with our friendly Trent Oracle and he suggests Cranfleet will open by lunchtime or mid afternoon at the latest.

They are thoroughly enjoying the trip so far even though it is not exactly the lovely summer weather we might have hoped for. The river below Holme Lock has been described as being like a Canadian river today as they dodged trees and logs and probably even the odd patio set on it's way down the river

Here is today's little video

https://www.facebook.com/NbPython/videos/304160703821253/

Just had the emails saying cranfleet and sawley are now open.

• Love 1