Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

If you are strong enough to open the gates against the flow

Richard

So long as all paddles are open, and water is flowing over the top, it isnt too hard to open gates at a lock like that.so long as you do the downstream one first....dont ask me how I know this....

Edited by matty40s

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Well, the level above the lock it showing tantalising signs of going down. https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6058?direction=u Whilst the level below is still rising https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6073?direction=u So by tomorrow morning they may have opened all by themselves. Not sure if we'll fit under the railway bridge though.

MP.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

So long as all paddles are open, and water is flowing over the top, it isnt too hard to open gates at a lock like that.....dont ask me how I know this....

I know exactly how you know that!

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

So long as all paddles are open, and water is flowing over the top, it isnt too hard to open gates at a lock like that.....dont ask me how I know this....

You just get one of them working boats to ram them.

15 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

See photo (nicked from FB) of Bardney lock, first order of business tomorrow. What are our chances?

MP.

There are probably still some visitor moorings ,a pontoon, upstream from Bardney lock . There was and may still be electricty available on it but you need a pre paid card.

If you want to move I suggest that pontoon.

Dont attempt the lock until you have seen it is safe beyond.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There are probably still some visitor moorings ,a pontoon, upstream from Bardney lock . There was and may still be electricty available on it but you need a pre paid card.

If you want to move I suggest that pontoon.

Dont attempt the lock until you have seen it is safe beyond.

We've currently on the pontoon at Fiskerton, which is safe and will keep a dry route to the nearest road unless the dyke overtops and the whole of this bit of Lincolnshire floods. Plan is to wind and return here if needs be. I suspect that some of the permanent moorers at Bardney may have relocated to the VM pontoon to avoid wading through a couple of feet of water on the bank next to their moorings. I know I would.

MP.

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

57 roads in Lincolnshire flooded - many villages asking people not to drive thru the villages as the 'tidal wave' is getting into peoples houses.

Floods all around Boston & Louth and South of Sleaford.

4x4 rescue vehicles are getting stuck because of wet electrics (bring back diesel engines !!!)

The River Steeping in Lincolnshire:

_107370852_wwwainfllod.jpg

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48620405

Edited by David Mack

I don't know about going down.

I put a mark on one of the riser posts about an hour ago. Just popped out to have a look and the pontoon has gone up about 2 inches (or 50mm ish if you like)

Looks like I might need to eat three Shredded Wheat for breakfast tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I don't know about going down.

I put a mark on one of the riser posts about an hour ago. Just popped out to have a look and the pontoon has gone up about 2 inches (or 50mm ish if you like)

Looks like I might need to eat three Shredded Wheat for breakfast tomorrow.

It's not looking good, is it?

MP.

35 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Fiskerton Fen this evening:

IMG_1241.JPG.92aa8bceca5ff31cadeabccff9bb97f3.JPGIMG_1244.JPG.50936c9e12b2274a84b4623b567cbc6d.JPG

What it looks like in drier times, stolen borrowed from Naughy-Cal's blog.

31072011547.JPG

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'm grateful to be floating, but sad I don't get to ride in the bucket of a digger.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

The River Steeping in Lincolnshire:

_107370852_wwwainfllod.jpg

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48620405

That could be quickly blocked by using a old lorry loaded with sandbags, It was done at Welney in the 1947 floods

welney gap 1947.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

11 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The flow has increased too.

MP.

Looks like they have been doing odd things with the sluice at Fiskerton overnight.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6058?direction=u

There seems to be a theme occuring of you being in the area of sluices operating oddly. :lol:

Edited by Naughty Cal