Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

The Nene the other day apparently wasn't on Strong stream at any point properly.

Contractors had left a coffer dam in place following wier work and as soon as the rain came, it triggered flood sensors at one lock, hence the on off on off messages.

The Nene has plenty of room left for water, weed is clearing nicely and shouldn't go into flood at all this week although there will be a good flow and may go into strong stream for real.

Edited for comedians 

Edited by matty40s

Just now, matty40s said:

Contractors had left a coffee dam in place

Doesn’t it make the water a bit brown? 

And does the caffeine get the fish fish all over excited?

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Nene the other day apparently wasn't on Strong stream at any point properly.

Contractors had left a coffee dam in place following wier work and as soon as the rain came, it triggered flood sensors at one lock, hence the on off on off messages.

The Nene has plenty of room left for water, weed is clearing nicely and shouldn't go into flood at all this week although there will be a food flow.

Dam the coffee, where is the beer?

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Nene has plenty of room left for water, weed is clearing nicely and shouldn't go into flood at all this week although there will be a food flow.

Will that be caused by something like 'bran flakes', or, a dodgy-curry ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

33 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The Nene has plenty of room left for water, weed is clearing nicely and shouldn't go into flood at all this week although there will be a good flow and may go into strong stream for real.

Just had SSA for the Nene today so suppose this time its real !

Floating pontoons are a wonderful thing.

Edited by Loddon

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Just had SSA for the Nene today so suppose this time its real !

Floating pontoons are a wonderful thing.

Yep its real-got as far as into Wansford lock before being told by EA chap that Yarwell was just being reversed! So went back alot quicker to that lovely empty floaty mooring at Wansford station.

I'm at Irthlingborough, having come down from Wellngborough yesterday.  River is a  foot up (and 18in up below the lock), lakes are filling and the sky is still providing more.  Spoke to the EA chap changing the sign to the SSA one, and he expected the alert to be in place for at least the weekend...

Just now, DaveP said:

I'm at Irthlingborough, having come down from Wellngborough yesterday.  River is a  foot up (and 18in up below the lock), lakes are filling and the sky is still providing more.  Spoke to the EA chap changing the sign to the SSA one, and he expected the alert to be in place for at least the weekend...

The other end is great! There is a bit of a flow on it but the level is normal. Expect that will change very shortly ? 

11 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Yep its real-got as far as into Wansford lock before being told by EA chap that Yarwell was just being reversed! So went back alot quicker to that lovely empty floaty mooring at Wansford station.

Wonderful place, spend your time playing on NVR,  at the weekends when its running services its an easy way to get into town.

Ooo good weekend to be stuck there

https://nvr.org.uk/product.php/65/steam-and-vintage-rally

Enjoy it !

• Greenie 1

On 12/06/2019 at 14:46, cuthound said:

Might be better to take a boat ?

The Anker passes very near me and is almost bursting its banks. Fortunately there is a railway embankment and the canal between it and my house.

Drove down Liberty Way this afternoon... a total non-event, fortunately. The Anker didn’t even look particularly high. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Drove down Liberty Way this afternoon... a total non-event, fortunately. The Anker didn’t even look particularly high. 

Yes, I noticed this morning that the Anker has gone down a bit today. Fortunately the canal has come up a fair bit and DQ is afloat again.

All we need is some half decent weather and we can go for a celebratory 5th anniversary of ownership cruise.

• Happy 1

40 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

Sounds pretty bad in the East Midlands. 

I'm keeping an eye on the Stort as I'm moored there currently near Harlow. So far, so good it seems. Anyone else aware of any issues there? 

I'm at the top, Southmill lock. No problem, only slightly higher than normal and slight current.  But Harlow is low and can flood quite easily but I doubt you'll have any probs. Dry tomorrow apparently.

17 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'm at the top, Southmill lock. No problem, only slightly higher than normal and slight current.  But Harlow is low and can flood quite easily but I doubt you'll have any probs. Dry tomorrow apparently.

Thanks alot. So far, so good it seems. 

Keeping an eye on river levels website below. Seems levels at Harlow Mill went up 137mm since lunchtime, not alot but will keep watching. 

https://riverlevels.uk/stort-sawbridgeworth-harlow-mill#.XQFAzFPTU0M

15 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

Thanks alot. So far, so good it seems. 

Keeping an eye on river levels website below. Seems levels at Harlow Mill went up 137mm since lunchtime, not alot but will keep watching. 

https://riverlevels.uk/stort-sawbridgeworth-harlow-mill#.XQFAzFPTU0M

Worst bit to overflow the banks is upstream of Roydon to Latton lock.

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, I noticed this morning that the Anker has gone down a bit today. Fortunately the canal has come up a fair bit and DQ is afloat again.

All we need is some half decent weather and we can go for a celebratory 5th anniversary of ownership cruise.

The first time in at least 12 months the pound has been properly full

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

See photo (nicked from FB) of Bardney lock, first order of business tomorrow. What are our chances?

MP.

64217482_2428692593858252_5635394544330604544_n.jpg

Should be quick as you'll be able to open both ends and boat straight through.

• Haha 2