Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes, the Junction Canal is more frequently closed, not least because the river in flood (as well as the brook) backs up to the M5 culvert which is low enough headroom at the best of times. Do you know whether the lock the other side (or more likely Lock 4 just below the marina) was also locked? This seems usually done to prevent people ignoring the electronic warning panel at the top lock and then becoming stuck down by the motorway.

The chain and padlocks are normally left on the gates for locking when required. There’s a winding hole above lock 6 presumably built for the purpose of enabling craft that can’t get through the M5 tunnel to wind. Closure of that section has been routine since long before the warning board was erected at Hanbury top lock. Part of the problem is the canalised river section floods under bridge 8.

I think it would be some feat for the Salwarpe to back up on to the canal as that would be the full height of Hanbury Road lock which isn’t shallow. I’ve never seen those sort of conditions. It’s just the flow from the Body Brook that raises the level under the M5.

It seems some boats that were at Netherwich this morning have departed to somewhere during the day and the Salwarpe wasn’t that high at 6pm but it’s rained hard ever since. Technically I think it’s still on a closure notice.

JP

Stamp End sluice has clearly gone rogue. All three gates are wide open, Witham level way up and Fossdyke level several feet down. In fact the levels are not far off equalised across the sluice. Looking at the online graph the diverging trend of oscillation continues, the new low level is lower than the last downward peak.

I've logged a call with the EA hotline. It's their sluice, and if I call CRT I just risk them messing up the referral.

MP.

9 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Stamp End sluice has clearly gone rogue. All three gates are wide open, Witham level way up and Fossdyke level several feet down. In fact the levels are not far off equalised across the sluice. Looking at the online graph the diverging trend of oscillation continues, the new low level is lower than the last downward peak.

You don't know what the water levels are upstream and downstream of of you ... the choice of p**sing off 20 boats or flooding a town is a fairly easy one for civil servants to make ...

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You don't know what the water levels are upstream and downstream of of you ... the choice of p**sing off 20 boats or flooding a town is a fairly easy one for civil servants to make ...

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6045?direction=u

That doesn't look like a civil servant's work to me. It looks like a negative-feedback servo control system which has gone under-damped and unstable.

MP.

• Greenie 1

Something happened to the Stamp End Sluice overnight  with a large fall in water levels, the rest of the Witham continues to rise dramatically, even with the tide being out so maximum dump available. 

Rained constantly since 3pm yesterday here.

Trent is rising faster than I've seen it since 2012.

Rain all day here in the Fens, according to what I have renamed the BBC Wetter Forecast. Fortunately, water levels on the Middle Level are well controlled and seldom rise or fall be more than a few inches - but getting here along the Nene could be tricky.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Rain all day here in the Fens, according to what I have renamed the BBC Wetter Forecast. Fortunately, water levels on the Middle Level are well controlled and seldom rise or fall be more than a few inches - but getting here along the Nene could be tricky.

I'm expecting the Nene phone calls again at 9.01am

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There is clearly a problem with the sluices. They do not operate as they are currently doing.

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

They don't ususally rise and fall by more than a few inches on the Fossdyke :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

That doesn't look like a civil servant's work to me. It looks like a negative-feedback servo control system which has gone under-damped and unstable.

MP.

The level seems to be coming up more gradually now.

A note on Stamp end. When I went past on Monday there were 5 workmen at the sluice (inside the access area). Not sure what they were planning to do (chatting at the time!), but can't help wondering if this may have something to do with the alleged erratic behaviour?

Just now, RAB said:

A note on Stamp end. When I went past on Monday there were 5 workmen at the sluice (inside the access area). Not sure what they were planning to do (chatting at the time!), but can't help wondering if this may have something to do with the alleged erratic behaviour?

It isn't alleged. It is erratic behaviour.

Look at the water level graphs!

39 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I'm expecting the Nene phone calls again at 9.01am

Me too. Sat at a very soggy Stanground-got optimistic with SSA off yesterday and thought Id make a run for it. Now deciding whether to go back to March again and leaving the boat for a week in the marina...

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It isn't alleged. It is erratic behaviour.

Look at the water level graphs!

Apologies, not seen the graphs. Use to work overlooking the river between stamp end and the Brayford. At times of high rain fall operation of the sluice would vary the water level by 2 + feet quite often during the day, so wasn't sure if it was just this or not. I'll take your experience as the current situation being erratic though. If it wasn't raining and clothes had dried from yesterday I'd go down and take some pictures!

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Something happened to the Stamp End Sluice overnight  with a large fall in water levels, the rest of the Witham continues to rise dramatically, even with the tide being out so maximum dump available. 

Rained constantly since 3pm yesterday here.

Trent is rising faster than I've seen it since 2012.

We had lots of fun on it many times in 2012 I luuurrrrvvvvv the Trent.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We had lots of fun on it many times in 2012 I luuurrrrvvvvv the Trent.

Keep posting those positive things because I know our volunteer crew on Python are reading this thread and they are hoping to leave West Stockwith on Sunday

oh.... and whoever it is that keeps singing please shut up!

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

Keep posting those positive things because I know our volunteer crew on Python are reading this thread and they are hoping to leave West Stockwith on Sunday

I did have two quite chunky engines and a boat shaped boat to play with :D. Spring tides are fun on a narrowboat, they certainly strengthened my buttock muscles over the years ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

They will be making slow progress going upstream this weekend!

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The level seems to be coming up more gradually now.

The sluices are still wide open. The level is going up above the sluice because the level has equalised across the sluices and the level below is high and still rising slowly.

MP.

9 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

I had a similar issue when the hot and cold feeds to a thermostatic shower valve were reversed.....  

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

The sluices are still wide open. The level is going up above the sluice because the level has equalised across the sluices and the level below is high and still rising slowly.

MP.

57 roads in Lincolnshire flooded - many villages asking people not to drive thru the villages as the 'tidal wave' is getting into peoples houses.

Floods all around Boston & Louth and South of Sleaford.

4x4 rescue vehicles are getting stuck because of wet electrics (bring back diesel engines !!!)

Sitrep: All sluices wide open. Levels equal through sluice with moderate flow. Fosssyke above sluice down maybe 35cm, Witham above up well over a metre. Flashing red light active. EA have acknowledged problem and "reset the system".  Photos below. The doozers in hi-viz are not EA, they're from a contractor that will be replacing the sluices in the near future, doing a site recce.

MP.

IMG_20190613_110550123.jpg

IMG_20190613_111037576.jpg

• Horror 1