Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes, the Junction Canal is more frequently closed, not least because the river in flood (as well as the brook) backs up to the M5 culvert which is low enough headroom at the best of times. Do you know whether the lock the other side (or more likely Lock 4 just below the marina) was also locked? This seems usually done to prevent people ignoring the electronic warning panel at the top lock and then becoming stuck down by the motorway.

Perhaps they do not have enough staff to monitor on an hour-by-hour basis, and adjust accordingly in small steps, but have to use less frequent but larger adjustments?

The sluice gates are automated not manually operated. 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

The sluice gates are automated not manually operated. 

sounds to me like a sticky sensor on the automation

doesn't move until the water level has gone far above / below and then moves in a massive jump prompting a big response from the gates and big overshoots of the target

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Quite a rise in level on the Witham yesterday.

The Bardny level station was showing 0.83m yesterday morning and is now at 2.25m and still rising.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6073?direction=u

Common sense says that with the amount of rain forecast in the next few days that the rivers are going to rise

Monday 12.48...posted by NaughtyCal

Edited by matty40s

Very odd readings from the Stamp End Sluice.

Capture.jpg

If it really has risen 600mm in an hour and a half this morning it will be interesting on the ditch today!

17 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

sounds to me like a sticky sensor on the automation

doesn't move until the water level has gone far above / below and then moves in a massive jump prompting a big response from the gates and big overshoots of the target

Could well be.

It will mean a lot of boats are sitting on the bottom and then rising back up quickly. Should be interesting,

3 hours ago, Proper Charlie said:

Just had a walk along the Greet, which flows into the Trent near Fiskerton. Day before yesterday, there was about 6" of water in it. This morning I reckon there's at least 4'.

Just did Cromwell to Torksey in two and a half hours. All very controlled, but getting into Torksey lock cut across the current zooming around the outside of the bend was quite exhilarating.

Next stop, the wildly oscillating Stamp End sluice.....

MP.

• Greenie 3

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

Interesting :)

Nowhere near me then. Cheers. 

Good info, thanks. I wasn’t living here in ‘76 but was in ‘07 but never even knew about it. I might take a drive down Liberty Way and have a nosey in the morning.  

Might be better to take a boat ?

The Anker passes very near me and is almost bursting its banks. Fortunately there is a railway embankment and the canal between it and my house.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Just did Cromwell to Torksey in two and a half hours. All very controlled, but getting into Torksey lock cut across the current zooming around the outside of the bend was quite exhilarating.

Next stop, the wildly oscillating Stamp End sluice.....

MP.

You might find the lights on red at the exit from Brayford Pool?

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

You might find the lights on red at the exit from Brayford Pool?

They are flicking from static red (proceed with caution) and flashing red (no entry) at the minute.

There is certainly something wrong with the sluice control at Stamp End. 

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They are flicking from static red (proceed with caution) and flashing red (no entry) at the minute.

The massive sluice gate at Holme lock that control the height and flow through Nottingham are automated and go wrong They failed three times whilst I was skippering the Notts Princess. Once in  approaching flood conditions I had passed under Trent bridge ( probably 2 feet plus clearance ) at the time and a few minutes later I noticed the flow had reduced very considerably. I turned only twenty minutes after going under Trent bridge to get back to the ( safe side ) for us. I got the boat smack in the middle of the centre arch and my short vhf areial was smacking the bridge. It was only due to my genius boat handling skills and knowledge of that part of the river that saved the day. The sluices had closed rather than opened as the levels had risen. I had noticed the distinct slowing of the river which gave the game away as it quickly rose. Another time the sluices fully opened and let all the river dissapear and we nearly grounded lol. I had to fone the emergency number on both occasions as the remote located staff had no idea these incidents had happened.

I  recall flooding on the Trent  in early June  a couple of years ago.

It seems we may  be treated to  a repeat performance .

I would  imagine flows are already uncomfortably fast for  narrowboat.

A week from now it will probably all be back to normal.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I  recall flooding on the Trent  in early June  a couple of years ago.

It seems we may  be treated to  a repeat performance .

A week from now it will probably all be back to normal.

Blame Liam. It was his birthday yesterday. It always rains on his birthday which is why we never plan to go anywhere in June :D

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

They were on green when we came through 20 minutes ago. Have moored outside New Look. The behaviour of the sluices may explain why the NB behind us has crazily loose ropes. Will keep an eye. From the graph, it's due for another downswing.

MP.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Newark to Torksey was OK. Fastest I saw on the GPS was 7mph, which is 2.5 mpg faster then the engine was giving us, so upstream we'd be making 2 mph. I'm happy with that current, but anything more is beyond my comfort zone. Cromwell weir from below was quite a sight.

MP.

45 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

They were on green when we came through 20 minutes ago. Have moored outside New Look. The behaviour of the sluices may explain why the NB behind us has crazily loose ropes. Will keep an eye. From the graph, it's due for another downswing.

MP.

Not sure I would have stopped there. The flow may become very fast when the sluices are open.

50 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Newark to Torksey was OK. Fastest I saw on the GPS was 7mph, which is 2.5 mpg faster then the engine was giving us, so upstream we'd be making 2 mph. I'm happy with that current, but anything more is beyond my comfort zone. Cromwell weir from below was quite a sight.

MP.

Photo from said narrowboat taken couple of hours ago showing how the level dropped.

FB-IMG-1560363373970.jpg

If you can you would be better off getting g off where you are moored now and getting in the floating pontoon either above Stamp End, below Stamp End or  bit further on at Washingborough. 

OK, taking all your good advice, we've moved down and Melaleua and Red Wharf are now breasted up against the piling-with-bollards on the right as you exit the lock downstream. There's even enough room for a narrowboat to get on the floating lock landing and use the lock, if necessary :)

When we arrived at the lock the level was above the top of the closed guillotine gate and the nav light was green, Whilst we were in the lock, the centre sluice opened, the light went red and the level has already dropped 5cm or so. The  flow is not silly. I was seriously worried it would open everything as we approached and cause us big problems, but the flow at the moment to perfectly handle-able. 

Anyway, I suspect a better nights sleep will be had here. It's persisting it down, and forecast to continue all night.

MP.

Naughty-cal, where did you find the photo from our erstwhile neighbours?

38 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

This is what happens when they open the sluices at Stamp End.

Can I have a go on your time machine?

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa