Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Thanks for that will let folk know ... have you informed cart?

cheers

Rick

They already know, think it might need some heavy lifting gear to move when it starts to be cut up.

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

I travelled the Trent both ways, but I am dammed if I can remember this weir.  Perhaps I never even saw it.  A bit like Marlow weir on the Thames, but without all the white timbers and big notices.

Did you not notice Staythorpe power station? The weir is immediately  downstream

34 minutes ago, Loddon said:

But that's not beer its pisswater ;)

I had a can of Bud at the weekend and thought it had a distinctive taste but couldn't quite figure out what it was.

Thank you for clarifying what that taste was.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Did you not notice Staythorpe power station? The weir is immediately  downstream

The Trent is all power stations to a Southerner.  Didn't have a map or anything, no idea where I was most of the time.

4 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

River Salwarpe has risen high enough to close the Droitwich Barge.

Do you mean the lock or the canal?

The lock us generally closed albeit with minimal change in level. I had not heard if the canal bring closed.

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I see it says  'pint can' .... but I bet esewhere on the can it says 568ml.

Yeah you are probably right.  Bloomin daft eu rules innitt, lets put 568 when one single measurement as in  "Pint "  is understood by all. :banghead:

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah you are probably right.  Bloomin daft eu rules innitt, lets put 568 when one single measurement as in  "Pint "  is understood by all. :banghead:

Damn. I should have taken my pint of Moonshine back at The Parish Oven. It was only 567ml!

Edited by Naughty Cal

The Soar seems to be holding steady, but as the ground gets more saturated, it won't take much to push it over the banks.

It hasnt really stopped in 48 hours in the Nene catchment area, but not been as heavy as further North.

Another 48 hours of this expected in the Severn, Trent and Ouse catchment areas. 

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I see it says  'pint can' .... but I bet esewhere on the can it says 568ml.

Fosters Lager is brewed by Scottish & Newcastle.  Very Australian.  They are now something to do with Heinekin.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

If we do leave the EU we will not revert to imperial measures for everything as it was back in the 1960's.

However it  may be beer in a bottle or can could be marked only as a pint.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Do you mean the lock or the canal?

The lock us generally closed albeit with minimal change in level. I had not heard if the canal bring closed.

The section that is common with the rivers is closed so lock 6 on the Junction Canal is padlocked as is the flood lock in Vines Park. The canal from Vines Park to the Severn is open.

JP

However, looking at the rising levels across N Wales, I wouldn't plan to head towards the Severn, every catchment river continues to rise. The Navigable Severn takes a few days to catch up but it could a biggie. 

Central and N Midlands have also been deluged overnight, the upper Trent catchment is mostly on flood alerts and this will work it's way down in a day or 2. 

The Soar continues to rise, although may peak off tomorrow if not much further rain comes.....however, morbid forecast.

Quite a rise in level on the Witham yesterday.

The Bardny level station was showing 0.83m yesterday morning and is now at 2.25m and still rising.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6073?direction=u

Still not sure what they are playing at with levels on the Fossdyke as they are letting it pick up then dropping it off sharply again! Not seen them do that before. :blink:

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6050?direction=u

This mornings alerts :

Wednesday’s yellow weather warning lasts until 12pm on Thursday, June 13 and warns that “around 20 to 40 mm (0.8 - 1.5inches) of rain could fall widely, with 50 to 80 mm (2 - 3.1 inches) possible over high ground and as much as 100 mm (4 inches) in a few locations.”

The areas impacted by the weather warning are Central, Tayside and Fife, East Midlands, East of England, North East England, North West England, South West Scotland and Lothian Borders, Wales, West Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber. 

The areas with flood alerts are: 

• Alconbury Fords in Cambridgeshire
  • Bain Catchment
  • Bury Brook
  • Chertsey Bourne
  • East and West Fens
  • East and West Glens
  • Hoe Stream
  • Lincolnshire East Coast Rivers
  • Louth Canal and Waithe Beck
  • Lower Avon and tributaries
  • Lower River Loddon at the River Thames confluence at Twyford
  • Lower River Soar in Leicestershire
  • Middle Tame
  • Minor Watercourses of South Forty Foot Drain
  • Rase and Upper Ancholme
  • Rea Brook and Cound Brook
  • River Anker and River Sence
  • River Blackwater and The Cove Brook
  • River Cole
  • River Devon and Smite in Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire
  • River Erewash in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
  • River Esk catchment
  • River Leen and Day Brook in Nottinghamshire
  • River Maun in Nottinghamshire
  • Rivers Clyst and Culm and their tributaries
  • River Sow and River Penk
  • River Steeping
  • River Trent in Derbyshire
  • River Trent Tributaries in Nottinghamshire
  • Severn Vyrnwy Confluence
  • Stoke Trent
  • Tern and Perry Catchments
  • The River Bure, Spixworth Beck and surrounding Becks
  • The River Glaven through Hunworth, Thornage and Letheringsett
  • Upper River Calder catchment
  • Upper Tame
  • Upper Teme

10 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

The section that is common with the rivers is closed so lock 6 on the Junction Canal is padlocked as is the flood lock in Vines Park. The canal from Vines Park to the Severn is open.

JP

Yes, the Junction Canal is more frequently closed, not least because the river in flood (as well as the brook) backs up to the M5 culvert which is low enough headroom at the best of times. Do you know whether the lock the other side (or more likely Lock 4 just below the marina) was also locked? This seems usually done to prevent people ignoring the electronic warning panel at the top lock and then becoming stuck down by the motorway.

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Quite a rise in level on the Witham yesterday.

The Bardny level station was showing 0.83m yesterday morning and is now at 2.25m and still rising.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6073?direction=u

Still not sure what they are playing at with levels on the Fossdyke as they are letting it pick up then dropping it off sharply again! Not seen them do that before. :blink:

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6050?direction=u

Perhaps they do not have enough staff to monitor on an hour-by-hour basis, and adjust accordingly in small steps, but have to use less frequent but larger adjustments?