Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I think you will find if fruit and veg are being sold in imperial it is against the law.  

It's not illegal to show the price per kg alongside the price per pound. 

30 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

I bet we get a real red flag very soon

& the Nene is back on red flag again ? 

30 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

I bet we get a real red flag very soon

& the Nene is back on red flag again ? 

36 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I think you will find if fruit and veg are being sold in imperial it is against the law.  Unless you were like some farms I knew when farming went metric asked for a gallon of X and were supplied with 5 Litres.

My mum and dad were still getting apples by the box last year, that's imperial.?

11 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Now back on SSA again! For real this time so EA say. 

Wish they'd make their mind up, just had another call, that's 6 today!!!

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

My mum and dad were still getting apples by the box last year, that's imperial.?

Box - etymology

late Old English, probably from late Latin buxis, from Latin pyxis ‘boxwood box’, from Greek puxos (see box3).

Metric, then

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Err I dont know where you live but in my England. I drove here to my mums yesterday with speed limits in miles per hour. Distances are always in miles which equates to feet and inches. We are off for lunch to the pub now and I will be having a pint of beer with it. Nowt metric about that.

At school we learnt about 'Rod, pole or perch', furlongs, firkins, chains, cables, fathoms and all sorts of things. 

It is the 'Metric Brigade' who can't cope with Imperial measurements.

I ran a 21.336 m narrowboat, and it carried 16329.3 kilos of a combustible black or brownish-black sedimentary rock,

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

It is the 'Metric Brigade' who can't cope with Imperial measurements.

No? I learned all my physics and chemistry in metric, and all my engineering degree too (excellent - loads of fudge factors eliminated). I work out my fuel consumption in MPG and fill up my car in litres. I drink pints and make things in inches, metres and millimetres depending on what is convenient

I'm not a member of either brigade

ON_TOPIC

How are the river levels going?

Edited by RLWP

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

No? I learned all my physics and chemistry in metric, and all my engineering degree too (excellent - loads of fudge factors eliminated). I work out my fuel consumption in MPG and fill up my car in litres. I drink pints and make things in inches, metres and millimetres depending on what is convenient

I'm not a member of either brigade

ON_TOPIC

Up

• Greenie 1

Ah, derision regarding the metric system. I was one of you. I used to feign a blank look when someone said ten metres and ask, all cocky, "What's that in real money?" just like you do. I thought I sounded cool rather than a bit retarded.

Then one day about ten or twelve years ago, I measured a piece of metal that was 1ft 5in 5/16 that I was cutting into four lengths. Do that one in your head. I noticed it was 440mm and I stopped using imperial that day. Never used it since. I measure in mm, I cook in grammes. Easy.

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Ah, derision regarding the metric system. I was one of you. I used to feign a blank look when someone said ten metres and ask, all cocky, "What's that in real money?"

Then one day about ten or twelve years ago, I measured a piece of metal that was 1ft 5in 5/16 that I was cutting into four lengths. Do that one in your head. I noticed it was 440mm and I stopped using imperial that day. Never used it since. I measure in mm, I cook in grammes. Easy.

One of the main reasons for the metric system is it is so simple to use.  Britain actually started working towards metrication around the mid 1800s with the introduction of the florin.

Generations of stick in the mud dinosaurs have made it take so long.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, Jerra said:

One of the main reasons for the metric system is it is so simple to use.  Britain actually started working towards metrication around the mid 1800s with the introduction of the florin.

Being a numismatist I have examples of such a coin.

It was actually marked "one-tenth of a pound" and, "One florin" (unlike the later coinage, marked as "two-shillings" or simply "florin"

s-l1600.jpg

As a matter of interest - I also have a "half-farthing" (one nineteen hundred and twentieths of a pound) (1/1,920of £1)

The purchasing power of the "half-farthing" in the mid 1800's is approximately equivalent to todays 5p.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

IMG_20190611_122926.jpg.6f2b1d60a7eb69f63f884507045d37e9.jpg

Strange world innitt. Whilst driving my car with a speedo in mph, passing sped limit signs in miles I drove to the pub with mum which was signposted 4 and a half miles. We each had beer, myself a pint and her a half pint. We then ordered from this menu, note what the steak sizes are, do you need help in understanding? Many of us including this massive brewery dont bow to every whim of Johny foreigner, may be thats why the majority of us voted out the er oh heck wrong thread ;)

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

IMG_20190611_122926.jpg.6f2b1d60a7eb69f63f884507045d37e9.jpg

Lots of Johnny Foreigner items on the menu and metric money, but to get to the point I think you are trying to make.

The butcher will have sold the meat by the metric measure as required by law.    Probably 280 or 290 grams.   The restaurant chooses to describe it as 10 oz.   Perfectly legal it is part of a dish and can be described as anything so long as it is honest.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Strange world innitt. Whilst driving my car with a speedo in mph, passing sped limit signs in miles I drove to the pub with mum which was signposted 4 and a half miles. We each had beer, myself a pint and her a half pint. We then ordered from this menu, note what the steak sizes are, do you need help in understanding? Many of us including this massive brewery dont bow to every whim of Johny foreigner, may be thats why the majority of us voted out the er oh heck wrong thread ;)

Two points first we only use miles etc as stick in the mud dinosaurs who want to keep us back in the 19th century and they get so hot under the collar when it is suggested they try the 21st century for a change..

Try buying your pint of beer in a bottle, you can only buy pints of beer when served from a tap for the reasons outlined above.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Up and forecast higher. We decided Newark was a better bet to wait out the storm and got here no problem, but Averham Weir was a bit buttock-clenching.

MP

40 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Up and forecast higher. We decided Newark was a better bet to wait out the storm and got here no problem, but Averham Weir was a bit buttock-clenching.

MP

Even in good conditions it seems to have a 'magnetic effect', it doesn't matter if you are heading up, or downstream you seem to be attracted to the weir. (Made even worse when someone is passing you)

It always feels 'uncomfortable' passing along the unprotected length of the weir within just a 'few feet' to the edge.

For those who don't know the water - The unprotected weir runs along the whole length of the photo from the 'yellow sign' to the bottom right hand corner of the picture.

A short length of the weir is protected by Dolphins (the orange drums chained together)

Related image

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

More like, hugged the opposite bank past every one of the 350 unprotected metres of weir crest.

MP.

383 yards ish :D

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

fosters-pints.jpg

? he aint doing too well with his Johny Foreigner measurements is he!!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

383 yards ish :D

? he aint doing too well with his Johny Foreigner measurements is he!!

You may not have noticed but Fosters isn't British.  It is a Johnny Foreigner drink.

Quote.

However, it had already been agreed to harmonise our units of measurement by requiring SI, and transition dates were set for phasing out most non-metric units. UK legislation was then amended to enact these changes. 1995 saw the removal of the pound (weight) and pint (volume) for labelling pre-packed goods.

Perhaps the most significant change took place at the end of 1999; as of 1 January 2000 it has no longer been legal to sell loose products (vegetables, fruit, cheese, meat, nails, ground coffee, etc.) by reference to the ounce, pound, pint or gallon (with the exception of draught beer and cider, milk sold in returnable containers, and precious metals). It is interesting to note that those who complain about possible prison sentences for traders who do not use metric do not complain that the same penalties currently exist for any publican who dares to sell beer in litres – one particularly ludicrous anomaly (especially given that nearly all pint bottles of beer on sale in supermarkets have been changed to 500 ml bottles)

Edited by Jerra