Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

Levels on the Thames seem fairly steady at the moment and no stream warnings. Moored near Newbridge at the moment and reckon it only came up an inch based on some twigs near me...the northerly wind is more of an issue?. Did get an email warning for strong stream on the Bristol Avon though.

2 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Watched e a levels for Trent obsessively. Couldn't believe levels still falling or not rising. Even Soar and Derwent only risen again in last few hours.  Listened to rain all night. Set off very early. Derwent mouth in green. Sawley flood lock on but almost level and in green. Sawley green. Cranfleet green. Currently heading for Beeston and confidently expecting it to be green though the guage is useless as doesn't take account of the hydro scheme. 

That said. Conditions are horrendous. Very wet. Extremely windy. Would not recommend inexperienced to risk it. If on a hire boat, the company would prefer you stayed safe. They can sort the boat out. 

The irony of not getting where we wanted because of lock restrictions for water shortages then worrying about getting back because there is too much water is not lost on me. 

Reach below Hazelford (where we are moored) is up about 30cm overnight.

Soar is closed.

MP.

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Spoke to Moominpapa about half an hour ago.

They're moored at Hazleford. He reckons the Trent went up 30cm overnight.

Its England..............the Trent rose by about a foot.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Looks like it's going to be fun trying to get home.

If I were you I would turn round and head back up Leicester Arm to Kilsby Bridge, at least you can get to work from there.....the alternative cycle ride from either Alrewas or Shardlow is a bit daunting.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If I were you I would turn round and head back up Leicester Arm to Kilsby Bridge, at least you can get to work from there.....the alternative cycle ride from either Alrewas or Shardlow is a bit daunting.

I will keep going, if we get stuck and have to sit it out, it will be a good excuse for an extra couple of days off work.?

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

England went metric officially in 1974.   Of course we were using metric in science and teaching long before that.

Depends on your view....we measure roads in miles and drink pints...i buy fruit and veg in pounds and ounces....oh and I was born in 1971...

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

England went metric officially in 1974.   Of course we were using metric in science and teaching long before that.

Sadly, and I mean sadly, I find myself slipping into metric occasionally. Yards are still yards, but metres become evident depending to who(m) I'm talking to.

We are at Suttons Stop at present. Really need to get on our way, but not in this rain. Fair weather sailor, you ask? Too right I am.

i find it fascinating just how much water can accumulate in our rivers. Seeing pictures of York in flood, amazing amount of water. Truly amazing. 

I'm easily amazed.

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Err I dont know where you live but in my England. I drove here to my mums yesterday with speed limits in miles per hour. Distances are always in miles which equates to feet and inches. We are off for lunch to the pub now and I will be having a pint of beer with it. Nowt metric about that.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Err I dont know where you live but in my England. I drove here to my mums yesterday with speed limits in miles per hour. Distances are always in miles which equates to feet and inches. We are off for lunch to the pub now and I will be having a pint of beer with it. Nowt metric about that.

Sorry I got the dates wrong it was actually 1965.   If I remember rightly beer and milk are the only things allowed to be sold in imperial measurements as the dinosaurs can't cope with metric.

But it was your sovereign government who decided this why are you against their decision.   Don't bother answering as you only agree with decisions which favour what you want.

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

Depends on your view....we measure roads in miles and drink pints...i buy fruit and veg in pounds and ounces....oh and I was born in 1971...

I think you will find if fruit and veg are being sold in imperial it is against the law.  Unless you were like some farms I knew when farming went metric asked for a gallon of X and were supplied with 5 Litres.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

But you will have purchased the fuel for your car (and boat )  by the litre and paid for it with decimal currency .