Rivers warning.

matty40s

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

But it is all concrete and tarmac in towns, goes straight into the rivers.

This is very true and all the building in Northampton will make a difference but here in the hills where the Nene and the Leam spring from there’s no flow as of today.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. The ground is very dry, water table low and the rain will be soaking into that before it runs off.  Shoothill gauge maps is a good site for liver revels.

After dry periods the ground can be so hard the rain just runs off rather than soaking in.

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

Although we have had nearly 3 days of rain,heavy at times, the brook in our village which is one of the feeders to the headwaters of the Nene is still hardly flowing think the ground must be soaking it up as is been so dry. 

Last Thu/Fri/Sat was the Royal Cornwall Show (a major event hereabouts) Thursday was reasonably dry, as was Sat but Friday was drenching. By mid morning I had to run a guest up to the ground and went into the nearest car park and immediately wondered whether I was going to get out (a not infrequent problem with fields used as car parks for events like this!) Sat afternoon I had to go up (we live just down the road from the showground) and parked in another car park. As I walked across the field to the show entrance I was struck by how quickly the ground surface had dried out (with accompanying dust storms!) in less than 24 hours since the rain held off.

If the rain raises the levels of navigable rivers very quickly it probably means that not much is going into the reservoirs - shame as we clearly need it.

54 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

A fault with the monitoring station reading at a guess. They can't drop the level that quick.

ETA: oddly the next station upstream in Brayford Pool shows a similar drop in level! Very odd.

Edited by Naughty Cal

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A fault with the monitoring station reading at a guess. They can't drop the level that quick.

A passing Hudson at full chat.....

River Wandle (South London)just been put on flood warning.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

A passing Hudson at full chat.....

River Wandle (South London)just been put on flood warning.

My local river. It rises very quickly and falls just as fast. Has a generally high current speed due to elevation drop. Plenty of old mills on the Wandle too.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

ETA: oddly the next station upstream in Brayford Pool shows a similar drop in level! Very odd.

It's had a second hiccup in the last hour.

Some sites have forward predictions, which I didn't know. This one is interesting.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2102?direction=u

MP.

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

We are in Rugby at the moment going the scenic route back to Barrow,  with all the rain now forecast it looks like it could have been a bad move.

You could be at Shardlow for a while!!, good thing about this time of year is that it tends to go down pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You could be at Shardlow for a while!!, good thing about this time of year is that it tends to go down pretty quickly.

Hopefully the rain totals won't be as bad as forecast,  it rained for most of the day today but only a couple of times it was heavy.

Lets see where we're at on Wednesday. 

13 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Hopefully the rain totals won't be as bad as forecast,  it rained for most of the day today but only a couple of times it was heavy.

Lets see where we're at on Wednesday. 

It has been mostly light rain in Sheffield all day with the odd short heavier burst.

It is absolutely persisting  it down right now in Gateford though and has been for the last couple of hours. Doesn't seem to be any sign of it letting up.

Would have been better if the road gulleys had been unlocked but the water seems to be running away into the site compound so no worries yet!

As far as I can see, London got the worst of the rain today but it's heading northwards for Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm glad I checked the flood risk maps before I bought my house, I'm in the Wandle valley and probably not a lot above the level of the river, but far enough sideways from it to be safe. I think I read once that before the Surrey Iron Railway (horse-drawn, this was before steam railway engines) was built from Croydon to Wandsworth in 1809 people considered canalising the river, but concluded that supplying it with enough water would be too difficult. As Mark99 up in the hills says, rain there tends to sink straight down through the ground.

Getting off a bus this evening was a bit like mooring up on the K&A; leaping across water 4 or 5 feet wide to reach dry ground.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, after all the rain over the last couple of days the Trent is still falling - maybe it will shoot up as the Water in the catchment area runs down.

Watched e a levels for Trent obsessively. Couldn't believe levels still falling or not rising. Even Soar and Derwent only risen again in last few hours.  Listened to rain all night. Set off very early. Derwent mouth in green. Sawley flood lock on but almost level and in green. Sawley green. Cranfleet green. Currently heading for Beeston and confidently expecting it to be green though the guage is useless as doesn't take account of the hydro scheme. 

That said. Conditions are horrendous. Very wet. Extremely windy. Would not recommend inexperienced to risk it. If on a hire boat, the company would prefer you stayed safe. They can sort the boat out. 

The irony of not getting where we wanted because of lock restrictions for water shortages then worrying about getting back because there is too much water is not lost on me. 

No idea what they are doing with the Fossdyke but it is up and down like a fiddlers elbow!

It is still raining in Gateford and Sheffield although there seems to be a brief lull in the intensity. Plenty of surface water on the roads on the way into work but the drainage systems seem to be coping for now at least.

The gauge at Farndon indicates the river level is rising rapidly. 

Not surprising after raining all night and still it's raining. Next doors cat spent the night indoors at our house.

Feels like winter. The cat clearly agrees.

I would  suggest boats on the R.Trent and safely moored should remain where they are and be aware of changing water levels.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Not surprising after raining all night and still it's raining. Next doors cat spent the night indoors at our house.

I would  suggest boats on the R.Trent and safely moored should remain where they are and be aware of changing water levels.

And if you look at all of the tributaries to the Trent along it's length they have all had massive spikes in level. All of this has to flow into the Trent yet.

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Gone up an inch in the last hour.