Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
matty40s

Rivers warning.

Featured Posts

Today and the next few days are going to see some very large rainfall totals on rivers in the SE and Eastern side of the country.

The met office has just upgraded today's warnings to Amber for quite a large area.

If you are on rivers, or planning to in the near future, take measures to look after yourself and boats.

Lee and Stort, Nene, Great Ouse, Soar, Cherwell, Thames, Wey could all be affected by this weather event.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that. We are, slowly working our way around the Leicester ring anti clock, more valuable info. But we are only as far as Sutton Stop so a long way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Common sense says that with the amount of rain forecast in the next few days that the rivers are going to rise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately not everyone thinks that the river will rise as it may not be raining where they are and they may not realise the catchment area for the river they are on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Common sense says that with the amount of rain forecast in the next few days that the rivers are going to rise!

And, after all the rain over the last couple of days the Trent is still falling - maybe it will shoot up as the Water in the catchment area runs down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, after all the rain over the last couple of days the Trent is still falling - maybe it will shoot up as the Water in the catchment area runs down.

 

They came up a bit according to the EA website.

 

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2185?direction=u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They came up a bit according to the EA website.

 

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2185?direction=u

But that is showing that it has fallen over the last 24 hours, and is falling still.

 

It is showing 0.43m the same as the ones I linked to.

Presumably using the same gauges ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Common sense says that with the amount of rain forecast in the next few days that the rivers are going to rise!

Hire boaters do not necessarily know the risks, and stretches to avoid. The Trent may not be as badly affected as the Soar, and someone could come out of Sawley, Nottingham or the Erewash and not find out until they turned up the Soar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, after all the rain over the last couple of days the Trent is still falling - maybe it will shoot up as the Water in the catchment area runs down.

 

It's possible that the EA have opened up the sluices in preparation for more water coming down. Just done Cranfleet to Beeston and the level was low, but the current was significant. Aiming to get to Torksey by Wednesday, so it could be a bit of a ride!

 

MP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

It's possible that the EA have opened up the sluices in preparation for more water coming down. Just done Cranfleet to Beeston and the level was low, but the current was significant. Aiming to get to Torksey by Wednesday, so it could be a bit of a ride!

 

MP.

 

You had better 'crack-on' or you may get stuck upstream of the flood gates at Newark.

Being so close to the C&RT offices they do get closed fairly quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Hire boaters do not necessarily know the risks, and stretches to avoid. The Trent may not be as badly affected as the Soar, and someone could come out of Sawley, Nottingham or the Erewash and not find out until they turned up the Soar.

Would hire boaters be reading a boating forum?

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

It's possible that the EA have opened up the sluices in preparation for more water coming down. Just done Cranfleet to Beeston and the level was low, but the current was significant. Aiming to get to Torksey by Wednesday, so it could be a bit of a ride!

 

MP.

 

You won't use much fuel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Would hire boaters be reading a boating forum?

 

There are regularly forum members who hire asking about routes and rings they can do in a week or fortnight, there are also many share boat owners on here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Common sense says that with the amount of rain forecast in the next few days that the rivers are going to rise!

And then we’ll have a hosepipe ban by the end of July. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You had better 'crack-on' or you may get stuck upstream of the flood gates at Newark.

Being so close to the C&RT offices they do get closed fairly quickly.

Will keep an eye. Plan is Hazelford tonight, so Newark tomorrow late morning.

 

What does the team think about the chances of problems in Lincoln on Wednesday or early Thursday?

 

MP.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You won't use much fuel!

We're making 6mph without really trying, which is fast for Melaleuca. Just left Stoke, heading to Gunthorpe than Hazelford.

 

MP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

What does the team think about the chances of problems in Lincoln on Wednesday or early Thursday?

 

I don't know if you are familiar with Lincoln ?

 

I would not foresee any problems (I'll be doing my Aldi Shopping on Thursday but that won't affect the canal)

If there is too much water in the 'ditch' it goes over the weir at Stamp-Lock and into the Witham.

The levels in the Witham are controlled by the tidal opening of the lock at Boston, so at Low-water the lock gates open and drain down the Witham, Close the gates and it stops the tide back-filling the Witham.

 

 

IMG_20140428_151514.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends how much rain we get as to if there will be problems in Lincoln. The Fossdyke was very low at the weekend. 

 

Worst case if they shut the section through the Glory Hole while they are sluicing the water away, just find somewhere safe to sit it out for a couple of days. 

 

There are rise and fall poles on the visitors moorings at Torksey and Lincoln. There is a nice high wall to moor against in Saxilby just through the railway bridge. If the flood gates are not shut at Burton Waters there are safe moorings in there or Lincoln Marina have recently put in new rise and fall visitors pontoon.

 

The ditch doesn't rise and fall by too much but most of the moorings have low sides so it comes up and over the banks quite easily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

There is a nice high wall to moor against in Saxilby just through the railway bridge

And a very nice Pizza available just opposite.

They will even deliver to the boat and think its a 'great wheeze' to deliver to a boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And a very nice Pizza available just opposite.

They will even deliver to the boat and think its a 'great wheeze' to deliver to a boat.

Good pizza, cracking chip shop, nice Chinese and an ok curry house. 

 

The Anglers is a decent pub. There is a decent bar at the Pavilion and then there is The Sun Inn as well. None of them do food though. 

 

Then a small local shop and a bigger Coop further up the road.

 

There are worse places to be stuck for a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although we have had nearly 3 days of rain,heavy at times, the brook in our village which is one of the feeders to the headwaters of the Nene is still hardly flowing think the ground must be soaking it up as is been so dry. 

,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. The ground is very dry, water table low and the rain will be soaking into that before it runs off.  Shoothill gauge maps is a good site for liver revels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bizzard said:

  Shoothill gauge maps is a good site for liver revels.

It was showing very high on the liver revels on Sunday morning at Stowe Hill..

 

Roads are already flooding in the Staines/Ashford/Egham areas

 

 

Edited by matty40s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of rain today down here in Croydon, but the EA site is still showing "no stream warnings" for the whole length of the Thames. I guess that might change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

think the ground must be soaking it up as is been so dry. 

But it is all concrete and tarmac in towns, goes straight into the rivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.