Is it cold in winter?

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And no, it's not cold in winter. Or summer, for that matter. I've just got back into a centrally heated house after six weeks on the boat, and I'm freezing... Some years back, I moved from the boat into a house in the middle of a December ice age and had to have the heating on in the house on max 24 hours a day while I got used to how cold they are comparatively.

Our boiler scared us half to death last night. We were sat having dinner at the table when  it sprang into life.

We wondered why then realised for the first time since we moved in the thermostat had dropped below 21 degrees. :D

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our boiler scared us half to death last night. We were sat having dinner at the table when  it sprang into life.

We wondered why then realised for the first time since we moved in the thermostat had dropped below 21 degrees. :D

Put our central heating back on yesterday.

On 09/06/2019 at 22:29, TheBiscuits said:

Ah. You are CC-ing in that London - it's the most clogged up bit of canal I can think of!

No Wait! You are north of Watford Gap.

I am going for the Leeds Liverpool - "Clogs & Gansey" would appeal to you because a gansey is the Lancashire equivalent of an Arran sweater, and the clogs just confuse people ... but are very traditional mill attire, so the boatmen wore them too.

With regard to knitting, the name Gansey comes from Guernsey, where the garment is knitted on five needles (or a circular needle), and has no seams. It is knitted as a single piece, with the capability of reknitting arms and the lower body areas should they become worn out. They were used extensively by northern boatmen, both on the waterways and on fishing boats. They are NOT similar to Arran sweaters, which have seams. The photo shows Harry Belshaw and I on Kennet in typical L&LC clothing. The pattern for the ganseys was taken from one knitted by a boatwoman from Bootle in the 1930s. There is no specific pattern, and the knitter would try to put as many different ones in as possible to show their skill, which could be the reason for so many 'well built' L&LC boatmen, as they provided a greater circumference for patterns. The lower part of the gansey body and arms are plain knit so that it was easier to reknit. You can download a pattern, made simpler as it is for a Jersey with seams, though easy to convert to gansey style, from http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/Gansey pattern.pdf, but it does need about £40 worth of wool.

IMGP5298.jpg

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

Guys might nerd lessons, gals are fairly well trainied

Never met a female that remembers to leave the seat up though ?

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

Guys might nerd lessons, gals are fairly well trainied

Never met a female that remembers to leave the seat up though ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

With regard to knitting, the name Gansey comes from Guernsey, where the garment is knitted on five needles (or a circular needle), and has no seams. It is knitted as a single piece, with the capability of reknitting arms and the lower body areas should they become worn out. They were used extensively by northern boatmen, both on the waterways and on fishing boats. They are NOT similar to Arran sweaters, which have seams. The photo shows Harry Belshaw and I on Kennet in typical L&LC clothing. The pattern for the ganseys was taken from one knitted by a boatwoman from Bootle in the 1930s. There is no specific pattern, and the knitter would try to put as many different ones in as possible to show their skill, which could be the reason for so many 'well built' L&LC boatmen, as they provided a greater circumference for patterns. The lower part of the gansey body and arms are plain knit so that it was easier to reknit. You can download a pattern, made simpler as it is for a Jersey with seams, though easy to convert to gansey style, from http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/Gansey pattern.pdf, but it does need about £40 worth of wool.

IMGP5298.jpg

Mrs Bob knew all that.

We have 57,000 knitting needles on board, circulars, dpn's etc etc

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I remember seeing a show at a club in Hamburg where the gyrating young lady probably could have done.

Pics or it didn't happen ????

20 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Pics or it didn't happen ????

Cameras were not allowed.

It was called 'Club Salambo' (in Hamburg), it was closed down several times in its history but the final 'show' was in 1997

My Office was just outside Hamburg - the club was a place that our overseas visitors looked forward to visiting (particularly the Japanese)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Yes they can, they just need to use somebody else's writing implement (apparently)

This splashage is a southern thing anyway, Northern rifles being more accurate than southern pistols. 

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

Yes they can, they just need to use somebody else's writing implement (apparently)

Well..... I can write my name in the snow, I just don't have this incessant urge to do it with my pee (or anyone else's for that matter) :sick:

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I hate to break it to ya, but those things ain't that dexterous. ?

A good subject for the old adage - 'proper planning practice prevents pxxx poor performance'- literally 

2 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

A good subject for the old adage - 'proper planning practice prevents pxxx poor performance'- literally 

Oh you can practice sufficiently to do with it what it's meant to do but as for getting artistic with it - good luck with that. ?

13 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

And proper (red opposed to white stitching) Lancashire clogs too?

Made in Clitheroe, so not really proper canal clogs, though a branch canal was proposed originally.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I have seen some startling things in my time in Germany ?

I remember in 1974 as a child of 18 when some mates went to uni ( not many in those days ) and others did other stuff and I went on my first warship to Copenhagen ? Oh my oh my, I reckon my university of life from such an age taught me much more of the world than any uni would have. Add on to that " The Gut " in Malta, Singers etc etc etc etc :D I am sure you get the picture!!

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Made in Clitheroe, so not really proper canal clogs, though a branch canal was proposed originally.

I use to know a chap who had both dress and work clogs. His were made in Waterfoot, and (on-topic), they were not cold in winter.