Adding corrosion inhibitor to antifreeze?

Featured Posts

Does anyone add corrosion inhibitor to antifreeze in their engine to give it a longer lifespan, or isn't it a good idea to mix the antifreeze with anything else? I have red antifreeze in my engine if that makes any difference.

This stuff says it can be used in automotive cooling systems as well as central heating systems.

IMG_20190609_191630_6.jpg

Yep, it's a good idea,  better for your wallet and the planet.

I always recommend taking quite a bit of coolant out and mixing it with the inhibitor then putting it back in rather than just tipping the bottle in the header tank and hoping it mixes.

5 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

So antifreeze doesn't have rust inhibitors in the UK?  In the states that is part of it and lots of people use antifreeze in areas that never freeze because the rust inhibitors instead of straight water.

They do, but it's the inhibitor that dictates the lifespan of the antifreeze.   2 or 5 years are typical.  The ethylene glycol is still fine but the inhibitor is either degraded or used up.

Adding more inhibitor means you can keep using the same antifreeze for longer as long as it's not a nasty rusty sludge!

Edited by TheBiscuits

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Adding more inhibitor means you can keep using the same antifreeze for longer as long as it's not a nasty rusty sludge!

in addition, it means you are not adding a further 5g or 100g of calcium dissolved in the new cooling water you add each few years, to precipitate out on the hottest surfaces in the waterways around the cylinders and combustion chambers, insulating them from the coolant. 

I seem to recall reading that you should only add this to used antifreeze once then it should be changed? I am going to add some to mine next year.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

in addition, it means you are not adding a further 5g or 100g of calcium dissolved in the new cooling water you add each few years, to precipitate out on the hottest surfaces in the waterways around the cylinders and combustion chambers, insulating them from the coolant. 

Where does the calcium come from ? Do you not use deionised water when you mix the antifreeze?

34 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Mine came ready mixed this time. Last time I just mixed it with tap water. Do people generally top up the cooling systems of their car engines with deionised water? I never have.

It is said to be best to use deionised water in a car rad, but I never have in 40 odd years. I do use it in the windscreen washers though, as these tend to block with gunge on my current car, which grows in the washer bottle. Drop of white vinegar too which kills the growth.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Thanks for the replies. My antifreeze states it's not supposed to be mixed with other antifreeze products, so I wondered if it was ok to mix the corrosion inhibitor?

http://www.mannolegypt.com/fb/p/products/operating-service-fluids/mannol-g12/

Does it say this just to stop you mixing it with blue antifreeze?

Some of the older formulation of antifreeze contain lots of silicates and when mixed with some of the newer long life coolants would cause the silicates to come out of solution and form a sand like substance which could block some of the fine tubes in the radiator.  As a supplier of new coolant has no idea what you are going to mix it with it  or what might happen if you do, it is easier to simply advise against mixing, that way you can't blame the supplier. 

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Mine came ready mixed this time. Last time I just mixed it with tap water. Do people generally top up the cooling systems of their car engines with deionised water? I never have.

Sadly I have done for years, its the anorak in me.

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. So you think it's ok to mix my antifreeze with the corrosion inhibitor?

Yes and wait until you see the colour of Ankorsol. It is unbelievably fluorescent green, so don’t spill any. 

As mentioned above, do remove some antifreeze and give it a good mix before putting it in.