can anyone identify this please

Featured Posts

We are next to useless on mechanics, so bear with me, the photo below is a borrowed BMC 1.5 photo from ebay, can anyone tell me the purpose the the shiny brass stern gland looking thing, on the  right of photo. We have one on our new boat and also a stern gland near the  prop at the back of the cabin.

thanks in advance

Dizzy

s-l1600.jpg

Correctly identified by Pearley.

Fitted to boats coz you can't easily get under the engine to drain the oil without making an oily mess of your bilge.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a spurious letter.

30 minutes ago, dizzyknits said:

thank you pearley, ray t and cuthound...that makes sense ...not a lot of space under engine

As its new to you a word of advice, ENSURE the sump fitting and connecting pipe are tight and not vibrated loose whilst you can get at it. Some years ago I was sat in the front of  a friends boat with his engine ticking over charging his domestic batteries and there was a noted change in the engine note. A quick sprint to the arse end of the boat and engine off. The sump fitting had come out and all engine oil was deposited in engine bilge!!! Luckily it was a matter of seconds and the engine a japanese thank god Beta ( Kubota ) survived unscathed. Just worth a mention.

On 09/06/2019 at 18:51, mrsmelly said:

As its new to you a word of advice, ENSURE the sump fitting and connecting pipe are tight and not vibrated loose whilst you can get at it. Some years ago I was sat in the front of  a friends boat with his engine ticking over charging his domestic batteries and there was a noted change in the engine note. A quick sprint to the arse end of the boat and engine off. The sump fitting had come out and all engine oil was deposited in engine bilge!!! Luckily it was a matter of seconds and the engine a japanese thank god Beta ( Kubota ) survived unscathed. Just worth a mention.

thank you

On 09/06/2019 at 18:51, mrsmelly said:

Yes well worth mentioning, as this is just the sort of stuff that goes wrong with those horrid buzzy jap engines. Would have wrecked it had you not acted so quick! 

For reliability one needs a lovely old vintage Kelvin or similar... 

?

• Haha 1

Dizzy, if your sump pump doesn't have an on / off valve between the pump body and the hose may I suggest fitting one of these:

Image result for butterfly ball valve
Rare though it may be, but when we bought our boat it didn't have one, something went wrong with the internal washer in the pump, oil pressure forced the handle up and emptied a good amount of oil into the bilge. Fortunately the low oil pressure alarm sounded before any damage was done. 

Some sump pumps have a screw cap on the outlet pipe. ours doesn't.

DSCF3235.JPG

Edited by Ray T

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Rare though it may be, but when we bought our boat it didn't have one, something went wrong with the internal washer in the pump, oil pressure forced the handle up and emptied a good amount of oil into the bilge. Fortunately the low oil pressure alarm sounded before any damage was done. 

Surely the sump shouldn’t be under pressure?  Unless the rings are so worn as to be completely knackered?  Or have I missed something (again)?

Just now, WotEver said:

Surely the sump shouldn’t be under pressure?  Unless the rings are so worn as to be completely knackered?  Or have I missed something (again)?

I didn't carry out a thorough investigation at the time. It is only my guess as to what happened but the pump handle was in the fully up position.

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I didn't carry out a thorough investigation at the time. It is only my guess as to what happened but the pump handle was in the fully up position.

I'd say the pump handle as in the up position BECAUSE there was substantial blow by and pressure in the crank case. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say the pump handle as in the up position BECAUSE there was substantial blow by and pressure in the crank case. 

Indeed, when the 1.4 Mitsubishi engine on our first shareboat reached 9,000 hours, the crankcase pressure used to force the stirrup pump up and blow an oil mist into the engine bay. By putting an isolating valve in line, like RayT has shown we got another 1,000 hours out of it. ?  

I'd say, better still, fit the isolator between sump & hose if that's practical.

Then you can isolate the thing in normal use & obviate any risk of hose failure emptying the sump while the engine is running.