Renting my narrowboat

Deano1988

Featured Posts

Hi all , just bought a narrowboat and in the process of giving it a bit of a referb, hoping it will be ready in a month or so.

I am thinking of renting it out on a self drive basis holidays (seems to be most profitable)

Im based in Manchester any tips or ideas that would help me or how I could make the experience great for the people hiring it 

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Deano1988 said:

Hi all , just bought a narrowboat and in the process of giving it a bit of a referb, hoping it will be ready in a month or so.

I am thinking of renting it out on a self drive basis holidays (seems to be most profitable)

Im based in Manchester any tips or ideas that would help me or how I could make the experience great for the people hiring it 

Thanks

Do some research before buying a boat - Ooooops too late.

The cost of commercial licences, gas and electric safety certificates, Higher spec boat safety requirements for hire boats, commercial insurance, etc etc etc means that it is unlikely to be a viable project for a single boat.

Have you got the resources and spares and ability to respond to any breakdown 24/7, anywhere where your hirers have got to before breaking down.

Ex private boats are not easy to make compliant with the commercial safety standards (example - hull openings MUST be a minimum of 10" above the water line - very few 'private boats' could comply with this.

Use the search engine on the forum - basically its likely to be a 'non-starter' (many have thought about it before you)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Deano1988 said:

Thanks

As others have said. In reality its a non starter. Try cutting corners and " lending it to mates " will also end up in tears , its all been tried before countless times. If your boat ends up sunk in a lock and insurance company bothers to do some basic checking and doesnt pay out!!!! Doing it correctly will cost more than you will make.

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do some research before buying a boat - Ooooops too late.

The cost of commercial licences, gas and electric safety certificates, Higher spec boat safety requirements for hire boats, commercial insurance, etc etc etc means that it is unlikely to be a viable project for a single boat.

Have you got the resources and spares and ability to respond to any breakdown 24/7, anywhere where your hirers have got to before breaking down.

Ex private boats are not easy to make compliant with the commercial safety standards (example - hull openings MUST be a minimum of 10" above the water line - very few 'private boats' could comply with this.

Use the search engine on the forum - basically its likely to be a 'non-starter' (many have thought about it before you)

If it's an ex hire boat a lot will comply, but will still need insurance and licence.

Neil