New morse cable needed.

Featured Posts

I can’t seem to adjust it any more it just isn’t going in gear when it should it takes takes an extra tweak on the handle to get it in gear before the throttle kicks in. 

Assuming I may need a new one. I only replaced it a few years ago. 

Now looking online at different lengths is the measurement the who cable thread to thread or the sheath. 

I’m measureing 1.8m from thread to thread. 

Its s Teleflex unit. 

Mist as it needs to be a cm shorter. Both ends are adjusted to make the cable the shortest if that makes sense. 

I know it’s a daft question but just want to double check before I order a new one or not missing something daft. 

The length is normally stamped into the cable outer plastic sleeve but I suspect a cable outer anchor has worked loose at one end or the other.

Cables tend not to stretch much, the inner just snaps and then you can not get it into gear. If the outer is properly clamped at both ends then it may be a gearbox fault but check that the trunnion inside the control has not almost worn through - very common.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

I can’t seem to adjust it any more it just isn’t going in gear when it should it takes takes an extra tweak on the handle to get it in gear before the throttle kicks in. 

Assuming I may need a new one. I only replaced it a few years ago. 

Now looking online at different lengths is the measurement the who cable thread to thread or the sheath. 

I’m measureing 1.8m from thread to thread. 

Its s Teleflex unit. 

Mist as it needs to be a cm shorter. Both ends are adjusted to make the cable the shortest if that makes sense. 

I know it’s a daft question but just want to double check before I order a new one or not missing something daft. 

Morse Teleflex cables (now called Seastar) are measured end of thread to end of thread.  Most Teleflex have extra holes in the control unit to vary the throw.

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The length is normally stamped into the cable outer plastic sleeve but I suspect a cable outer anchor has worked loose at one end or the other.

Cables tend not to stretch much, the inner just snaps and then you can not get it into gear. If the outer is properly clamped at both ends then it may be a gearbox fault but check that the trunnion inside the control has not almost worn through - very common.

When you say gearbox fault. 

Its ok in reverse but it’s forward it’s not liking it only by a cm. 

1 hour ago, rustydiver said:

Looks like it’s on the outer one. 

Trunnion not worn replaced a few  years ago along with the one on the gearbox. 8BAD0357-4C4E-4A9F-9442-1F03A8ADE473.jpeg.6a860ca2f64b1198d3b2d6ad0def7743.jpeg

If you put the locknut on the other side of the trunion you could shorten the cable a bit.

1 hour ago, rustydiver said:

When you say gearbox fault. 

Its ok in reverse but it’s forward it’s not liking it only by a cm. 

Are you sure its the cable and not the gearbox?  Disconnect the cable at the gearbox end, then use the lever on the gearbox to select forward or reverse to check the box is working OK.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

If you put the locknut on the other side of the trunion you could shorten the cable a bit.

Good call just done that and it slots into gear now when it’s supposed to. Fingers crossed it stays like it for a while.