Four Counties

Philip

Featured Posts

Which direction of the four Counties ring tends to be busier, or more likely to get held up at locks in season?

I've passed a good number of boats heading south on the southern Shroppie today, but then when I was heading south towards the end of last week, nearly 30 boats in one day passed me heading north.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Which direction of the four Counties ring tends to be busier, or more likely to get held up at locks in season?

I've passed a good number of boats heading south on the southern Shroppie today, but then when I was heading south towards the end of last week, nearly 30 boats in one day passed me heading north.

As we all use the same locks whichever way round, its a daft question mate, you get held up with boats going either way!  I prefer to descend the locks at Tyrley and Audlem cos of the bywashes. 

Edited by hider

3 minutes ago, hider said:

As we all use the same locks whichever way round, its a daft question mate, you get held up with boats going either way!  I prefer to descend the locks at Tyrley and Audlem cos of the bywashes. 

Yes but if most of the traffic goes the same way round then you're less likely to encounter queues going the other way.

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes but if most of the traffic goes the same way round then you're less likely to encounter queues going the other way.

And more locks will be set in your favour.

OK try doing it in reverse then. Then you would be the only one going that way!

And all the people going in your opposite direction wont have to keep turning locks then I suppose? That will slow things down a bit.

Edited by hider

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Done these canals many times, both ways, and FWIW it always seems to me there is more traffic going North on the Shroppie.  On the Middlewich branch I reckon you are always more likely to get held up when descending locks, the Staffs & Worcs it's the other way round.  I wouldn't say I've noticed a pattern on the T&M.

So my not very scientific analysis concludes you would encounter more traffic doing the ring clockwise.  

I too have done the 4 Counties several times in each direction, plus various bits of it more often when our share boats were moored on parts of it.

By far the busiest bit on sunny days and bank holidays is the Middlewich Branch. In particular the queues to go up Wardle Lock (Maureen's Lock) can be dificult. This is because boats come from both north and south on the T&M to turn onto the Middlewich Branch, so have to take turns, with not all boaters realising this. Hence my preference is to go clockwise in the summer months, so that you go down  Maureen's Lock and turn right onto the T&M.

I am currently going around for at least the 5th time and, for no particular reason, have always gone anti-clockwise. I'm currently at the bottom of the Shroppy and have had no queuing issues. In the past, as Cuthound mentioned, I have had queues on the Middlewich branch heading West, but it's all about timing really.

Majority of the traffic on the Middlewich Branch usually heading for the Llangollen of course.  

I can't understand the lack of boats on the southern Staffs and Worcs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. This stretch is one of the prettiest on the network and the furniture is full of character, yet it was like a ghost town. Not complaining much mind!

Edited by Philip