K and A mooring

Featured Posts

Not sure anywhere in that range is reasonably priced. In order, Foxhangers, Caen Hill, Hilperton, Bradford-on-Avon, Brassknocker Basin (Coal Canal) or in-line (limited). For links search on along on Google maps. Some appear sheltered, others windy. I know availability has been hard to come by, though Brassknocker has been advertising recently and Caen Hill is large enough to have a regular turnover. I also know the pub at Bradford-on-Avon is expensive for lime and soda!

/G

4 hours ago, Psychalist said:

Not sure anywhere in that range is reasonably priced. In order, Foxhangers, Caen Hill, Hilperton, Bradford-on-Avon, Brassknocker Basin (Coal Canal) or in-line (limited). For links search on along on Google maps. Some appear sheltered, others windy. I know availability has been hard to come by, though Brassknocker has been advertising recently and Caen Hill is large enough to have a regular turnover. I also know the pub at Bradford-on-Avon is expensive for lime and soda!

/G

Surely you don't mean the wonderful (though slightly rough) Three Horseshoes?

Actually probably not, it might be risky to order anything other than real ale/strong cider in there :)

..............Dave

26 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

No, I meant the one at the marina .

The problem is that a person drinking Lime and soda utilises just as much space as someone drinking a large G and T and takes just as much serving. Its all about overheads innitt.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The problem is that a person drinking Lime and soda utilises just as much space as someone drinking a large G and T and takes just as much serving. Its all about overheads innitt.

And the glass takes as much washing and putting away, and the soda needs keeping cool in the fridge or in the dispenser, the ice takes just as much 'making' and the table takes the same amount of wiping.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the glass takes as much washing and putting away, and the soda needs keeping cool in the fridge or in the dispenser, the ice takes just as much 'making' and the table takes the same amount of wiping.

Quite. People just don't get it do they? They just focus on the fact they can buy the same soda and lime cordial in Asda for pennies and declare it "Rip off Britain" without looking any further into WHY the price needs to be high.

Same happens for stuff sold as 'marine'. It is high priced because the cataloging, stock control, sales staffing costs etc remain the same but sales volumes are microscopic

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. People just don't get it do they? They just focus on the fact they can buy the same soda and lime cordial in Asda for pennies and declare it "Rip off Britain" without looking any further into WHY the price needs to be high.

Same happens for stuff sold as 'marine'. It is high priced because the cataloging, stock control, sales staffing costs etc remain the same but sales volumes are microscopic

You can normally tell who has 'been in business' and who has been an employee by their understanding of costs.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can normally tell who has 'been in business' and who has been an employee by their understanding of costs.

Precisely. I wish I had a pound for all the times over the years in my pubs when I was told by some numptie they could buy whatever it was for a pound in ASDA or wherever :banghead:

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely. I wish I had a pound for all the times over the years in my pubs when I was told by some numptie they could buy whatever it was for a pound in ASDA or wherever :banghead:

Being a Free House, I often did buy 'stuff' from the local Co-Op, Nisa store etc, rather than from the Wholesaler/Brewery.

It was not uncommon that when we had a Wedding (or other function) I'd send someone out to get 'supplies' if we'd had a run on a certain drink.

But it works both ways - 'Doing' a Wedding reception for 'about' 300 'youngsters' and was told that the 'in-drink' was Kopparberg Cidar and to get at least 5 bottles for each person.

At the end of the night I reckoned we had sold about 100 bottles and had 1400 left 'in stock' - but we did have to the Off-Licence run a couple of times for Whisky, Gin and Bacardi.

I remember a funeral where we were asked to cater for 'about 100' - we had made the sandwiches, sausage rolls, poached the salmon etc and it all looked great.

Problem was over 300 turned up so I sent folks out folks raiding every shop within reach for sausage rolls, bread and sandwich fillings. It all came good in the end.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Problem is, alcohol is heavily taxed, lime and soda is not. I don't expect it at giveaway prices but I do expect the price to reflect it not being taxed 

That said, I often find Lime and Soda IS at a giveaway price - being teetotal this suits me just fine, as I'm also everyone's favourite designated driver

Back to the OP - Brassknocker Basin is a very nice place to moor, that's where I am...

Edited by magpie patrick

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Walking past a Tesco yesterday afternoon I noticed a special offer of 20 cans of something plus 12 cans of another lager for £20. I was then wondering which was cheaper: lager or Cola?