Single handed hire

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

A possible venture at some point...

Do any companies hire to solo individuals? I fancy a trip somewhere new-ish and may be solo (and might prefer that!). I've a feeling the Ashby Boat Co allow their day boats out for single handed short breaks, and that appeals. Any others? 

I did a google search and all that came up was a thread on this forum ten years ago!

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

A possible venture at some point...

Do any companies hire to solo individuals? I fancy a trip somewhere new-ish and may be solo (and might prefer that!). I've a feeling the Ashby Boat Co allow their day boats out for single handed short breaks, and that appeals. Any others? 

I did a google search and all that came up was a thread on this forum ten years ago!

If you can find one I would also love to know. I've had a fair rummage through as many hire company websites as I can find and haven't found one yet that will hire to a single hander, even a really experienced one. 

Having a look at the Ashby Boat Co. when you try to book it won't let you book for less than two people. But they do have descriptions that seem to suggest that the day boats can be hired by a single person. 

Dayboats Badger and Mole for short breaks on a pro-rata dayboat

price as shown below

Badger and Mole can both be booked for short breaks, at any time of the year on a pro rata pricing basis, with a 1 to 4 person rate applying during the Winter months, i.e. October to March inclusive.

During the Summer months the 5 to 10 person rate will apply.

Badger and Mole both have the facility to sleep 2 people on one make up double berth.

I hired from Norbury Wharf last week. Me and 2 kids. They said 2 weeks before they had hired out to a sole gentleman. I plan to hire from there again. They did not ask about experience beforehand. I hired a 58 footer, plenty of space and easy to handle. Mind the ducks there though, they are overly friendly lol

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Hire one with a friend, who has to go home after the first hour. 

Which is no more honest than booking a 4-6 berth boat for 4 people (and paying the lower hire fee), and then meeting two mates at the pub round the corner from the hire base. 

22 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Norbury Wharf hired a boat  out earlier this year to a German guy on his own(he was an experienced boater).Might be worth a call.

Norbury are quite happy to hire out to single handers, and take pets too.

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Which is no more honest than booking a 4-6 berth boat for 4 people (and paying the lower hire fee), and then meeting two mates at the pub round the corner from the hire base. 

I'd say it's less dishonest, your example involves not paying a due fee. Mine possibly involves paying too much. If the boat is £x per week no matter how many on board, up to the limit, then no one loses out.