Moonraker TV aerial experiences.

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Rickent said:

We have one and it works well, it picks up a decent signal in most places and 9 times out of 10 doesn't need moving about when you moor up in different locations.

I agree with that -  just a pity that there's often so little worth watching that I don't bother putting the aerial up. It is attached to a pole so it's about 5ft above boat roof height.

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The only concern I have is that they require a power supply

Yes I wondered about that. Probably a small load, but when living off batteries loads tend to add up.

I think they have a 12V supply?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The only concern I have is that they require a power supply

The power supply is for the aerial amplifier.

My only concern is that they’re omnidirectional and therefore less sensitive than a simple (and cheaper) log periodic. 

You can boost the signal from a unidirectional aerial too...

We have been using a Moonraker  for a few years and it has performed remarkably well; from  Great Ouse area up  to Ripon and across the Pennines.

We even got some useful signals in places where an amplified aerial had not worked previously.

A couple of points:

The voltage regulator for the amp is in the Moonraker DC injector module, UNLIKE normal aerial amps (so DON'T try connecting it on an aerial feed with DC on it! )

It is useful to raise the aerial on a mast and rotate it  (check for polarisation on a relay) if  reception is poor

But generally it just works.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

Here's a YouTube review. I agree with the above comment "But generally it just works" and think that the power it requires must be much less than the TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=3MNEjOxengU

I think "the man with the penetrating glasses" has been very fair and to the point. If you don't mind spending £60 on something that may or may not work - then fine.

If you don't mind spending a lot less then a log periodic with a medium number of elements - such as this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-DIGITAL-TV-AERIAL-WIDEBAND-LOG-PERIODIC-V-CLAMP-AND-2-F-CONNECTORS-FREE/160765181593?hash=item256e59fe99:g:4RwAAOSwkNZUbK6A

If on the move then a signal meter is 'essential' - those made by fringe electronics are best-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fringe-fringetvsat-Electronics-Pro-TV-and-Satellite-Finder/283485852778?epid=2255629319&hash=item420112d46a:g:PjsAAOSwssBc3C~R

The cheap Chinese type I've found are useless to poor....

What folks don't realise is that the signal strength varies from channel to channel, or more correctly from multiplex to multiplex, with the "main channels" being on the higher powered aerial. 

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

23 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I think "the man with the penetrating glasses" has been very fair and to the point. If you don't mind spending £60 on something that may or may not work - then fine.

If you don't mind spending a lot less then a log periodic with a medium number of elements - such as this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-DIGITAL-TV-AERIAL-WIDEBAND-LOG-PERIODIC-V-CLAMP-AND-2-F-CONNECTORS-FREE/160765181593?hash=item256e59fe99:g:4RwAAOSwkNZUbK6A

If on the move then a signal meter is 'essential' - those made by fringe electronics are best-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fringe-fringetvsat-Electronics-Pro-TV-and-Satellite-Finder/283485852778?epid=2255629319&hash=item420112d46a:g:PjsAAOSwssBc3C~R

The cheap Chinese type I've found are useless to poor....

What folks don't realise is that the signal strength varies from channel to channel, or more correctly from multiplex to multiplex, with the "main channels" being on the higher powered aerial. 

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

That signal meter had better be good. I've just bought it. Made an offer that was accepted.

17 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

That signal meter had better be good. I've just bought it. Made an offer that was accepted.

Oh gawd - I'll never live it down if it doesn't.

'Twas the only pic: that I could find, no model number, no nothink.

The ones that I use are labelled "Por TV & SAT signal finder analogue (!) and  digital. The case is white (I think the black ones are even posher...)

It ha a string of LEDs to indicate the strength plus an audio beep.

"works for me", not only on the boat, but also at home if I'm fiddling around with my antennae

A note of 'caution'

The on / off switch on the side is prone to switch itself on when you're not using it - thus I put a lacy band around it to hold it in the off position

14 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Oh gawd - I'll never live it down if it doesn't.

'Twas the only pic: that I could find, no model number, no nothink.

The ones that I use are labelled "Por TV & SAT signal finder analogue (!) and  digital. The case is white (I think the black ones are even posher...)

It ha a string of LEDs to indicate the strength plus an audio beep.

"works for me", not only on the boat, but also at home if I'm fiddling around with my antennae

A note of 'caution'

The on / off switch on the side is prone to switch itself on when you're not using it - thus I put a lacy band around it to hold it in the off position

I'll let you know. Or the boys will.!!!?

Hi.

I make and sell a digital TV aerial kit, specifically for narrow boats, (Steel)  It has a mini log periodic aerial which is directional and has a gain of 7.5dBi , mast, magnetic base with plastic cover (Hence no drilling required and no damage to paintwork) The kit also comes with a coaxial cable that is terminated for both the TV & aerial connections please take a look at :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233164831555

On 09/06/2019 at 09:52, JohnB said:

We have been using a Moonraker  for a few years and it has performed remarkably well; from  Great Ouse area up  to Ripon and across the Pennines.

We even got some useful signals in places where an amplified aerial had not worked previously.

A couple of points:

The voltage regulator for the amp is in the Moonraker DC injector module, UNLIKE normal aerial amps (so DON'T try connecting it on an aerial feed with DC on it! )

It is useful to raise the aerial on a mast and rotate it  (check for polarisation on a relay) if  reception is poor

But generally it just works.

I'm not sure I fully understand but interesting post! I have one of those 'flying saucer' type aerials, which has a booster box connected to 12v. Having read several threads on aerials on here I decided to buy a mini pro logic, hoping to get better signals/ pick up more channels. This was a failure, the pro logic is far worse than the flying saucer. What's interesting, and something I don't understand, is that the booster box has a green light that shines when the it's switched on. This light is on regardless of whether the aerial is connected to it. But when I connect the pro logic aerial to it the light goes out. I'm wondering if this is something to do with the latter part of your post, which I don't really understand. 

Try this I hope it helps...

Most systems use a masthead amplifier near to the  aerial which is powered by  DC on the aerial feeder (which in effect then both carries power and signal; the signal is separated, by capacitors,from the power). Now at some point the DC voltage for the amplifier has to be regulated, usually this is on the amplifier at the masthead but with the Moonraker  the DC is regulated on the DC injector( power supply) rather than the amplifier. ( I have checked this to be so with Moonraker technical.)

What you refer to as a "booster box" is I THINK  in fact  the power supply; so DC goes up the feeder and the connection to the TV just carries the signal which has been amplified at the masthead.   In your case I wonder if there is some issue with the power connection.

For background:: We originally had a masthead amp powered by a DC injector which we then connected to either a Yagi(log periodic) or a little stub antennae depending on signal strength. When we tried out the Moonraker I realised (and checked) the power supply was different and fitted an additional feeder setup. This has worked as well or better than the original aerials which are still stored away, not used now since the new setup!

I find the moonraker is fine in strong signal areas and so easy to put up and not bother with tuning.....but in marginal areas like the stretch from Napton to Warwick a yagi is far better and more reliable. We have just done Hatton to Brum, to Dudley and now Stafford and the moonraker has been great each night - apart from the last few nights at Radford Bridge with no signal on either antenna. Best to have both if you want reliable reception and you bote in marginal signal areas.

I have two them Stan, when I sold the camper I kept it as a spare for the one on the boat. The one on the boat has been swimming on various occasions and still works well, if must be 5 years old by now? I dont think I have never got a signal from it? do take care of the cable connections to it as they seem to be the only issue for me, like others mine can be extended to help in poor reception areas