Battery issues - Peterborough.

Thestim

Featured Posts

Hi all. Is there anyone in Peterborough that could help us with some battery/wiring issues. We're currently in our first week of narrowboating, brought her last Friday and crusing back her back to Cambridge. We starting experiencing problems with our inverter and now have complete loss of power except the starter battery. If anyone could help we would be eternally grateful! 

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Thestim said:

Hi all. Is there anyone in Peterborough that could help us with some battery/wiring issues. We're currently in our first week of narrowboating, brought her last Friday and crusing back her back to Cambridge. We starting experiencing problems with our inverter and now have complete loss of power except the starter battery. If anyone could help we would be eternally grateful! 

Thanks in advance.

Have you joined RCR?

what monitoring equipment have you got fitted? How many alternaters? Any equipment with you?

You may find RCR won't help if it is the domestic batteries.

Do you know how your alternator is configured for charging the domestic batteries...? You may have a split charge mechanism that needs to be manually switched, how old is the boat...? Do you have a big rotary switch marked A, B, Both...?

We do have a big rotary switch, which has 2 and  with marked on it. But everytime we switched over it never charged, then yesterday our inverter started making a high pitch noise which I guess is some sort of low voltage alarm? 

9 minutes ago, Thestim said:

We do have a big rotary switch, which has 2 and  with marked on it. But everytime we switched over it never charged, then yesterday our inverter started making a high pitch noise which I guess is some sort of low voltage alarm? 

Upload a picture of the switch - or at least set out all its markings.  And tell us were it has been pointing.

Sounds very much like you have flat batteries - probably due to not charging 

15 minutes ago, Thestim said:

Does it say 1/2 both? 

Switch shold have marked on it     1   2   both   off

Normally 1 is starter, 2 is domestics,  both is 1&2 together

Procedure could be

Start with it switched to 1, then switch it to both while cruising, then switch to 2 when moored.

Do NOT switch it to or through OFF when engine is running.

So start engine and switch it to BOTH this may charge all the batteries. Inverter should stop making a noise after half hour or so.

You will need to run engine for a very long time (8hrs or so) to get any meaningful charge back into the batteries.

1 and 2 may be reversed ;)

ETA

The above assumes that it hasn't been wired up by some muppet that doesnt know how to wire things properly !

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

57 minutes ago, Loddon said:

The above assumes that it hasn't been wired up by some muppet that doesnt know how to wire things properly !

Therefore probably a totally incorrect assumption... ;)

The cable on the alternator is on the rev counter terminal. You should have at least one other thick wire and one thin wire connected but we cant see through whatever is hiding the back of the alternator. I think it is different to the free end, that one looks thicker.

Do you have another alternator tucked away somewhere, possibly on the other side of the engine. With that switch probably not though.

Iv  light of a recent topic - you do leave the ignition switch in the ON position when the engine is running and give it a rev  when        it has started. If not then the alternator may not energise.

Do you get an ignition warning lamp  come on when you turn the ignition on and then go out when the engine starts and is revved?

Use a mirror - how many and what thickness cables are on the back of the alternator or try to get a photo of the area.

I don't think there is another alternator tucked away, I've had a good look around the engine. Yeah always give it a few revs first, and the ignition light comes on when starting. 

I've tried to get a better photo of the alternator

20190607_165020.jpg

The alternator seems to be properly connected so should charge if the charge warning lamp goes out soon after starting bit bets check the drive belt tension.

I think you now need a clamp type ammeter so you can measure the current (amps) coming out of the alternator an going into each battery with the engine running &Charging and the switch in position 1, 2 and both.

If both battery banks are charging then flat domestic batteries are suspected but this could be because they have had it or because you have not been charging for long enough and with sufficient revs. If you have them on a shore line charger all day and they go flat during the evening then it points to either badly sulphated batteries - long term insufficient charging - or an internal short circuit - run out of life.

IT'S FIXED!! Just had a lovely gentleman from RCR come and see what's occurring, basically a faulty split charge relay going to the lesuire bank. A temporary fix and we're back up and running! 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Looks very rusty down there.

I'm looking at the corrosion on the alternator, engine mounts etc.

Its not 'normal' engine room 'air' that's done that.

Just now, Thestim said:

IT'S FIXED!! Just had a lovely gentleman from RCR come and see what's occurring, basically a faulty split charge relay going to the lesuire bank. A temporary fix and we're back up and running! 

Great news.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm looking at the corrosion on the alternator, engine mounts etc.

Me too, it looks like it's been very damp for quite a while at some point.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Has this boat been submerged and recovered ?

I can see why you asked that...

1 hour ago, Thestim said:

IT'S FIXED!!

Good news :)

1 hour ago, Thestim said:

a faulty split charge relay

So you’ll need lots and lots of charging to get the leisures back up. 

Now tell us what battery monitoring you have (if any) and we’ll tell you how to use it.