Mppt Small Size Needed

Featured Posts

I have very little space to fit a mppt. This is to fit to two 120W CIGS flexible panels so 240W. This I guess is a 20A mppt device.

Anyone recommend a small sized mppt?

Edited by mark99

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Victron do a good range of compact MPPT controllers.  Typically about 120mm x 120mm x 30mm.

200mm by 200mm. Victron: will check out. Ta.

Mppt controllers do need to disapate some heat. Check the recommendations for surrounding free space and ventilation before buying. Does it have to be in this small space? A bigger controller would be future proof of you decide to get more panels.

Jen

Agree the Victron offerings recommendations.   Bearing in mind you're unlikely to ever see maximum quoted panel wattage output in uk, you could fit a physically tiny 75/15 (Max input volts 75v, max output current 15a) and keep your cost to under 100 quid. In the event of the power available rising above its handling capacity, it simply limits the output to 15a rather than destroys itself! The Bluesmart model and the free Victron Connect app will let you monitor what's going on via Bluetooth on your smartphone. Nice. :)

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That's what I've got, or the very similar looking version they were selling ten years ago. Been very reliable so far...

Very small size and 250W capacity, so ideal for my 3x80W panels. Note that the installation destructions say to leave 6" clearance above and below the module for cooling air, which breaks the OP's 8"x8" space limit.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

37 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That's what I've got, or the very similar looking version they were selling ten years ago. Been very reliable so far...

Very small size and 250W capacity, so ideal for my 3x80W panels. Note that the installation destructions say to leave 6" clearance above and below the module for cooling air, which breaks the OP's 8"x8" space limit.

Jen

Yeah, BSP has my old one which is also around 10yrs and it's still working 

I have a 30 amp cheapy that keeps 12 full tractions charged outside under a cover, it was cheap as chips off ebay and has worked great.

I also have a 12 -48 volt one on the electric truck its fan cooled and I have seen 895 watts of 900 watts of panels so sometimes they do produce the goods even here

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have a 30 amp cheapy that keeps 12 full tractions charged outside under a cover, it was cheap as chips off ebay and has worked great.

I also have a 12 -48 volt one on the electric truck its fan cooled and I have seen 895 watts of 900 watts of panels so sometimes they do produce the goods even here

When I read that heat was an issue due to the limited space for the controller I immediately thought "computer fan" with a ready source of power what's not to like, fans are as cheap as chips.

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

When I read that heat was an issue due to the limited space for the controller I immediately thought "computer fan" with a ready source of power what's not to like, fans are as cheap as chips.

Phil

Exactly Phil, what worries me is the cast immediately choose the most expensive controllers they can think of, the issue is that there are plenty of videos on you tube testing them and they perform no better than cheap ones. Whilst I have two expensive ones [midnite] on my electric boat that is because of the amount of solar on there and the voltages I am using [soon to be 72 volts] I also wanted fan cooling, maybe noisier but it protects the electronics better.

I have fitted a cheap fan cooled controller on the electric truck and it works great, the truck looks strange with its 900 watts of solar on the roof but whats not to like about a free to use runabout?

• Greenie 1