Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Featured Posts

A great contributor to the sound of New Orleans rhythm & blues - where he was often the only white boy in the band, playing either guitar or piano. I must admit to owning the 'Gris Gris' L.P., on which he invented the spooky voodoo-soaked persona of "Dr. John The Night Tripper' with considerable commercial success. It is a sad loss, and a link with the great era of Fats Domino etc. - but, considering his love of narcotics earlier in his life, we are lucky to have had him for as long as we did.

 

I remember seeing him at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon in the '80s, when he and his band opened for B.B. King. That was quite an evening.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Athy said:

A great contributor to the sound of New Orleans rhythm & blues - where he was often the only white boy in the band, playing either guitar or piano. I must admit to owning the 'Gris Gris' L.P., on which he invented the spooky voodoo-soaked persona of "Dr. John The Night Tripper' with considerable commercial success. It is a sad loss, and a link with the great era of Fats Domino etc. - but, considering his love of narcotics earlier in his life, we are lucky to have had him for as long as we did.

 

I remember seeing him at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon in the '80s, when he and his band opened for B.B. King. That was quite an evening.

 

 

 

 Blimey, yes, that really must have been fun.

My only visit there was to see Gil Scott Heron, some time I the 80s also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

 

My only visit there was to see Gil Scott Heron, some time I the 80s also.

I remember going to the Fairfield a little later to see George McCrae ('Rock Your Baby') and The Crystals. It was the night after the 1987 Hurricane and only about 200 people showed up. McCrae came on, saw the empty seats, went through the motions for 30 minutes and buggered off. Then The Crystals came on, invited all the audience to come down to the front, and had a party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

I remember going to the Fairfield a little later to see George McCrae ('Rock Your Baby') and The Crystals. It was the night after the 1987 Hurricane and only about 200 people showed up. McCrae came on, saw the empty seats, went through the motions for 30 minutes and buggered off. Then The Crystals came on, invited all the audience to come down to the front, and had a party.

It is interesting how different performers react to crowds, or lack of them. Some time not long after Jim Morrison died, the Doors came to Brussels, and played a small hall, I think the Salle de la Madeleine. The three surviving members, with Jack Conrad and Billy May, played an absolute blinder of a gig, to about 100 of us. A highlight I remember was Ray Manzarek doing a Jerry Lee Lewis impersonation. They played some old Doors numbers, and a lot from the excellent Other Voices album. I sat on the floor, perhaps 6 feet from the stage, it was so empty there was space for everyone to relax and spread themselves out.

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.