Inverter recomendation

smiler

Featured Posts

Hi all

Although not for a NB, I'm looking for a new inverter recomendation to power my fridge in my summer house/man cave

I'm using a cheap chinese 1000w at the moment that I want to change to a 500-750w sinewave model with a sleep/standby function. The fridge only comes on for 5 minutes maybe twice per hour so don't need to run 24/7.

Any recomendations?

Thanks in advance

Paul 

Mastervolt are exellent and Victron very good. Ensure whatever you buy that in sleep the fridge will kick it off and have a low draw when in sleep mode. My combi sits switched on 24/7 365 and is never switched off. It draws 0.3 of an amp when doing nowt. I have bought several secondhand and new old stock Mastervolt and victron over the years for ridiculous low prices.

I think a bit more than 500w would be needed for reliable starting. Pure sine will be essential I would think, modern electronics and all that.

Sam mentioned some time back using the thermostat switch in the fridge to switch the inverter on and off so that it only ran when the fridge needed it. Sounds like a good way of saving energy, not keeping the inverter on all the time.

Edited by hider

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure a 500w will be sufficient to take the starting load of a fridge ?

I ran it through a meter and it runs at 260watts but I don't know the starting load. I was estimating it at double ie +/-500 watts 

1 hour ago, hider said:

Sam mentioned some time back using the thermostat switch in the fridge to switch the inverter on and off 

Which of course only works with a mechanical thermostat. I’m not sure how many modern fridges use such these days. 

Much more than double.

If you measure the resistance of the run and start windings you will find the start winding is quite low resistance in relation to the run. And there may be a capacitor charging to consider.

Just now, WotEver said:

Which of course only works with a mechanical thermostat. I’m not sure how many modern fridges use such these days. 

Sadly true, who said progress was good?

Could always fit a capillary thermostat I suppose.

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

I ran it through a meter and it runs at 260watts but I don't know the starting load. I was estimating it at double ie +/-500 watts 

No way it's more like 6 times peak.

I did some tests last year and anything less than 1000w just wouldn't start it. A reasonable quality one will just 'drop out'

Cheap  inverters also tend to have a large standby load as well

Those with a sleep mode tend also to cause 'hunting' - the fridge tries to start but the unit drops out...

5 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Depend on the make and model of fridge, it can be 10 time running load on start up. The Prosinc 1000i (1000 watt continuous power, Surges to 1500 watts peak ) will happly run a undercounter fridge/freezer and has done on my boat for the passed 20 years.

Thanks but they are 110v we have "metric" 230 volts this side of the water - same as uk.

Back to the almost original question can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 1000w continuous pure sinewave inverter with very low standby power consumption.

Ma$tervolt and Victron have been mentioned but are at the very top of the price scale. I know you get what you pay for but hoped there would be something cheaper available.

56 minutes ago, smiler said:

Thanks but they are 110v we have "metric" 230 volts this side of the water - same as uk.

Back to the almost original question can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 1000w continuous pure sinewave inverter with very low standby power consumption.

Ma$tervolt and Victron have been mentioned but are at the very top of the price scale. I know you get what you pay for but hoped there would be something cheaper available.

The link I gave you is for the 230v version. http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-Inverters/PROsine-International/DS20190410_PROsine_international.pdf

The uk dealer is

Adverc B.M. Ltd.
245 Trysull Road
Wolverhampton, England
WV3 7LG
Ph. 01902 380494

France

EFA France
Za la Haute Limougère
3 rue Claude Chappe
F-37230 Fondettes
Ph. +33 2 47 61 78 50