Canalside house with two moorings

GUMPY

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

How many anoraks would you need for that!

I have ample anoraks, just not the purchase price for the property!

Edited by alan_fincher

We have admired this property over the years and have been impressed by the rail track, not just the length but it runs into sheds etc. Over my budget, but I think a good price.

As a bit of a footnote. 

My brother in law builds steam engines and also has a track in his back garden in Alton Hampshire. 

I know you get a lot more property for your money away from London, but that's impressive. Not a huge amount more than my 3 bed terrace in Croydon might fetch, but enough that it would be a bit of a stretch for me. Ultimately, I don't think I'd fancy the upheaval or permanently moving away from my roots, but it's nice to dream.

7 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I know you get a lot more property for your money away from London, but that's impressive. Not a huge amount more than my 3 bed terrace in Croydon might fetch, but enough that it would be a bit of a stretch for me. Ultimately, I don't think I'd fancy the upheaval or permanently moving away from my roots, but it's nice to dream.

Its what I did 5 years ago.

I sold my small house in Surrey and bought a bigger canalside house and a boat with the proceeds.

It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. ?

Edited by cuthound

Its offers over £450k. I think they are trying to provoke a feeding frenzy like auctioneers.

If this was in the auction it would be "Guide Price" £450k, then the auctioneer would open the bidding with "Who will offer me the guide price?", drop it a bit to get some offers on the table then have it race off into the stratosphere.

I bet if you offered the EA £450k they would turn you down flat. 

That’s actually quite disappointing. I’ve always liked the look of that place but unfortunately like many other period canalside properties the inside is rather bland. Looks like an old pub that had a modern makeover losing any character it once had. Nice mooring though. 

2 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

That’s actually quite disappointing. I’ve always liked the look of that place but unfortunately like many other period canalside properties the inside is rather bland. Looks like an old pub that had a modern makeover losing any character it once had. Nice mooring though. 

I thought that too. All that grey pint in various shades makes it look like it was decorated in the mid 1980s. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought that too. All that grey pint in various shades makes it look like it was decorated in the mid 1980s. 

It’s all too common unfortunately. I think people are starting to realise now that ripping everything out isn’t the way to go but it’s too late for a lot of old properties.

A Victorian farmhouse was bought near me recently that had stood empty for a while. The “developer” who has turned it into multiple smaller houses was proudly telling me it had “those big skirting boards and panelled doors, but I’ve chucked all that stuff out because nobody wants it..” 

Well they do actually. 

On 06/06/2019 at 16:57, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its offers over £450k. I think they are trying to provoke a feeding frenzy like auctioneers.

If this was in the auction it would be "Guide Price" £450k, then the auctioneer would open the bidding with "Who will offer me the guide price?", drop it a bit to get some offers on the table then have it race off into the stratosphere.

I bet if you offered the EA £450k they would turn you down flat. 

If the EPC has the floor area correct at 2690 sq.ft., even at half a million quid, it seems good value at about £185 per sq. ft., and that doesn’t take account of the value of the mooring/s.