Excessive Smoke at high power

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Took the boat to the nearest lock today to give the engine a good blast.

Checked the oil level (just up to the A on the max mark on the dipstick.Took the engine cover off and the air filter and a cloth pad handy in case of runaway.

Filled the lock and bow against the gate and opened the throttle.

Loads of blue smoke from about three quarter throttle to full.Because of the noise and smoke I only gave short bursts of full throttle,bringing the throttle back to a blue haze setting.This was still faster than I have used on the canal or river.After about half an hour of this I found that the power setting could be increased without the large smokescreen,and it was then only the last inch or so of throttle movement that gave the smokescreen.

I  would have thought that the amount of smoke it was chucking out would have burned a load of oil,but checking the oil level,it was the same as when I started(on the A of max) .

I am now 99% sure that the smoke at high power settings is caused by soot and oil deposits in the exhaust.

It would appear that it is going to take some considerable time to burn off all the muck in the exhaust,so I will just use the engine as normal and when convienient give it a burst.

I now feel more confident that my engine is ok.   Thanks once again for all the replies.

36 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Took the boat to the nearest lock today to give the engine a good blast.

Checked the oil level (just up to the A on the max mark on the dipstick.Took the engine cover off and the air filter and a cloth pad handy in case of runaway.

Filled the lock and bow against the gate and opened the throttle.

Loads of blue smoke from about three quarter throttle to full.Because of the noise and smoke I only gave short bursts of full throttle,bringing the throttle back to a blue haze setting.This was still faster than I have used on the canal or river.After about half an hour of this I found that the power setting could be increased without the large smokescreen,and it was then only the last inch or so of throttle movement that gave the smokescreen.

I  would have thought that the amount of smoke it was chucking out would have burned a load of oil,but checking the oil level,it was the same as when I started(on the A of max) .

I am now 99% sure that the smoke at high power settings is caused by soot and oil deposits in the exhaust.

It would appear that it is going to take some considerable time to burn off all the muck in the exhaust,so I will just use the engine as normal and when convienient give it a burst.

I now feel more confident that my engine is ok.   Thanks once again for all the replies.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully your days as a camouflage vessel, laying smokescreens are over. ?