Door Draught excluder

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Some years ago, it was possible to buy self adhesive foam door draught excluder tape which was encased in a plastic skin, making it far easier to keep clean. I think I originally bought it from Great Mills, who are no longer with us, and despite searches on the internet and in hardware shops, I no longer seem to be able to find it. Does anyone know whether it is still available and where I might find some. The dimensions of the tape were aprox. 10mm xc 5mm.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Readily available on eBay.

Phil

I can only find the standard open cell foam strip on eBay. The type I am looking for is similar except that it is enclosed in a plastic skin. If you have found that type on eBay, could you please post a link.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

In the radio controlled aircraft world it was called wing band

No luck googling that. Apart from numerous references to Paul McCartney, all I could find were closeable metal fasteners.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen all of those, unfortunately none of them are what I am looking for. The white P section may do the job, but it is rubber and may deteriorate quite quickly, and have tendancy to stick in hot weather. What I am looking for is the same as standard foam draught excluder strip, except that it is encased in thin sleeve of textured plastic, which is easy to clean, and prevents sticking.

The picture below illustrates the construction of the tape I am looking for, but it needs to be rectangular - aprox 5mm x 10mm with a self adhesive strip on one of the 10mm sides.

image.png.a100890c0f0d2261cf1933a8fa9491e0.png

Something like this if a bit narrower and with a white case woud probably do the job

image.png.758aa6bc838aeb082e2fd33dfc1807a7.png

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, stegra said:

Try googling "q-lon" or "q-lon door seal" 

Edit. Or qlon

Thanks for that, I had tried a few sites with q-lon seals, but theyall seem to be designed to fit into a narrow slot in the door frame, whersas I want them to fit into the rebate between a pair of French Doors.

12 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

David, I've used P section both in my house and my boat to great effect, never had an issue with sticking or deterioration.  I think that they are in fact PU "rubber" not actual rubber made from latex.

Phil

Ah, that is helpfull to know.  I may try some in that case, and they seem to be fairly readily available.