Test cruise on the F&C

Featured Posts

This was my first time going up the F&C canal a wee bit. I was still trying to get the hang of controlling the boat. I turned to go right, but then the boat decided it wanted to go left, but changed its mind and went right. A bit of a faff, but I got there in the end. I've since been up and down there again (solo no-less!) and getting the hang of it now.  :)

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

Great stuff! Now you have to book yourself a trip up and down the locks.

haggis

I was planning on doing something this coming week, but after this wee shot up and down I realised that I'm NOT experienced enough for it. I'd be going solo.

I'll spend the coming week on the boat and getting more practice (sun willing). But I definitely want to plan a wee jaunt up to Southpark Marina as a test.

Edited by ronnietucker

2 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

I turned to go right, but then the boat decided it wanted to go left, but changed its mind and went right. 

On a NB this diving from side to side is caused by going too fast. Try slowing down, might stop it for you too.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

On a NB this diving from side to side is caused by going too fast. Try slowing down, might stop it for you too.

I think in my case it was because I gave a skoosh of forward to turn, but didn't give another skoosh to finish the turn. So I got half way then probably the wind blew me back around.  :D

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite the opposite on a cruiser. A bit more speed will square them up.

Mind you not see sawing on the helm helps as well. It is easy to over compensate with the wheel at first.

ETA: Not so sure about your mooring technique. The approach angle needs a bit of work.

Excuse the very poor quality footage but and example of how we turn around and moor up here.

Edited by Naughty Cal

23 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

ETA: Not so sure about your mooring technique. The approach angle needs a bit of work.

Oh, the mooring in that video was definitely off. At first, I ended up parallel to the mooring, but about 2ft away.  :D

Got it much better in my (not on video) second try.

• Greenie 1