Narrowboat with no engine: no brains or no brainer?

tinyespresso

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, tinyespresso said:

Thanks!

Initially houseboat, maybe considering some cruising after next summer, so the engine isn't a rapid issue. 

You mentioned in the first post it had a pump out and chemical toilet.

What would the arrangements at the mooring be for pumping out with no engine? Maybe extra cost needed to change to a cassette?

Your £3000 a year mooring cost could be a lot higher if you have to renegotiate as others have said.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

As you have written "Gender: female" in your avatar, it was not a difficult assumption to make.

I meant that jovially!! Assumed it came across in the tone of writing! :)

but yes! Give away! Forgot there were profiles!

• Greenie 1

I would be very interested subject to the things others have mentioned. As for the engine, a very quick look on e bay seems to suggest that there are Isuzu engines like yours for around £1200 second hand and I would reckon that you could get a good second hand one for a good bit less than that. A straight swap is so much easier and cheaper than a new installation. Even if the engine has had a really big problem like a snapped cambelt I would repair it. Go and have a look at the boat, find some layabout with a handful of spanners and covered in oil, stick a £20 note in his grubby hand and get his opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

I would be very interested subject to the things others have mentioned. As for the engine, a very quick look on e bay seems to suggest that there are Isuzu engines like yours for around £1200 second hand and I would reckon that you could get a good second hand one for a good bit less than that. A straight swap is so much easier and cheaper than a new installation. Even if the engine has had a really big problem like a snapped cambelt I would repair it. Go and have a look at the boat, find some layabout with a handful of spanners and covered in oil, stick a £20 note in his grubby hand and get his opinion. 

I would always question in a case like this that if repair or replacement wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg, why that is not being done by the seller.

Selling a conventional narrow boat at over £20K when the advert concedes the engine may be scrap is a fairly unusual thing to do.

Boats sold by Virginia Currer at this location are regularly sold with the understanding that a berth may be available as part of the sale.  My assumption is that you would not suddenly face a price hike, and that probably most moorers are charged the same, but I also doubt there is any security of tenure.  However, if you pay an inflated  get that mooring, but subsequently re-sell, I think it would be VC marine and the moorings operator that profited from that, and you would lose any premium you paid buying the boat. (But these are assumptions - check carefully!).

16 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Boats sold by Virginia Currer at this location are regularly sold with the understanding that a berth may be available as part of the sale.  My assumption is that you would not suddenly face a price hike, and that probably most moorers are charged the same, but I also doubt there is any security of tenure.  However, if you pay an inflated  get that mooring, but subsequently re-sell, I think it would be VC marine and the moorings operator that profited from that, and you would lose any premium you paid buying the boat. (But these are assumptions - check carefully!).

This is a very good point. Highline Yachting have an interest in keeping their moorings full so the OP is highly likely to be accepted as a tenant unless she specifically does things at this stage to upset them or put them off having her there. Moorings never have security of tenure but people regularly pay over the odds to get a boat on a good mooring without realising they have no security of tenure, then go on to live on that mooring happily for many years. 

£3k a year for a 47ft boat is also a helluvalot of money though, and although the mooring is being promoted as residential I wouldn't be amazed to find it doesn't have formal residential PP. On the other hand CT seems to be charged and this suggests perhaps it is.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

However, if you pay an inflated  get that mooring, but subsequently re-sell, I think it would be VC marine and the moorings operator that profited from that, and you would lose any premium you paid buying the boat. (But these are assumptions - check carefully!).

Pardon me, but I don't quite understand this bit!

I agree with you that the likelihood is that if they haven't sorted themselves it's a bigger issue, and that's the impression I got from the broker. 

32 minutes ago, Bee said:

Yes! I just wanted to budget in my head for worst case scenario so I don't end up up a creek (or submerged in one)

53 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Have you actually visited this boat you are planning to spend all this money on?

I'm going to! Tomorrow, shifts this week haven't allowed a sooner visit. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is a very good point. Highline Yachting have an interest in keeping their moorings full so the OP is highly likely to be accepted as a tenant unless she specifically does things at this stage to upset them or put them off having her there. Moorings never have security of tenure but people regularly pay over the odds to get a boat on a good mooring without realising they have no security of tenure, then go on to live on that mooring happily for many years. 

£3k a year for a 47ft boat is also a helluvalot of money though, and although the mooring is being promoted as residential I wouldn't be amazed to find it doesn't have formal residential PP. On the other hand CT seems to be charged and this suggests perhaps it is.

What does PP mean? 

With no residential PP the council *could* (but probably won't) serve an Enforcement Notice stopping use of the moorings for residential purposes.

1 minute ago, tinyespresso said:

In boating context what does planning permission represent?

I

am not expert in this field but others here are, and may well contribute later. Or use the search function to find the many other threads where this has been discussed in fine detail.

I believe there are moorings at this location that have residential Planning permission.  But check that's definitely what is being offered, as often places that have it only have it for a limited number of the total berths at that site.

Just now, tinyespresso said:

I see!

It will probably be fine for you to buy this boat and live on it at Highline for many years. People have already been living there on boats for many years! You'll never find a rented mooring with true security of tenure (other that the "Agenda 21" moorings at Oxford) so it is all about 'not making waves', 'staying under the radar' and other clichés. I expect you get the picture. 

Even if you DO get chucked off, you can settle on a leisure mooring somewhere else provided you make it clear you don't 'live on your boat', you simply 'spend a lot of time on it'...

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, tinyespresso said:

I'm going to! Tomorrow, shifts this week haven't allowed a sooner visit. 

Excellent. I have a feeling that will settle a lot of your questions and concerns. If this is the boat for you, you'll sort the issues. If it isn't, another boat will find you

Richard

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It isn't. It's all industrial sites and filthy dirty roads from the incessant tipper lorry traffic. 

But then the OP must know this as its a short bike ride from where she works.

The fish and chip shop there is rubbish too, which is the real test of an area!!

:icecream:

Yes, if the chippy is rubbish then walk. I agree 100%

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It will probably be fine for you to buy this boat and live on it at Highline for many years. People have already been living there on boats for many years! You'll never find a rented mooring with true security of tenure (other that the "Agenda 21" moorings at Oxford) so it is all about 'not making waves', 'staying under the radar' and other clichés. I expect you get the picture. 

Even if you DO get chucked off, you can settle on a leisure mooring somewhere else provided you make it clear you don't 'live on your boat', you simply 'spend a lot of time on it'...

Agree again. We "spend a lot of time" on ours :)

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont know if James and Amy from Lucy Duck days are still on this forum, I thing they now live that way.

They do, (now on Willow).  But I have not seen either on CWDF for a while.