Vetus 3.28 sump plug

Featured Posts

Last trip we had a major oil loss, caused by the extended dipstick tube fracturing just above the banjo joint. Some metal epoxy putty from RCR and new oil/filter sent us on our way, but I need a permanent fix.

Does anyone know the thread size of a normal sump plug for a Vetus 3.28? A plug from a motor factor (I'm thinking Mitsubishi?) will be much cheaper and easier to obtain than a yellow one. And I can't remove the banjo joint plug to measure it, as the next oil change is 75 hours away.

I have a second dipstick, so no issues about losing one.

Screenshot_20190605-180853_Gallery.jpg

I should know this, and something keeps saying M14, but I am not confident enough to state it as fact. Had a look in my notes and can't find anything relevant.
What size spanner fits it? Might be a clue.

Edit a quick look on ebay suggests 14 mm dia thread for a lot of Mitsubishi vehicles using an 18mm socket to remove.
Some Honda vehicles also use M14.

Edited by Guest

Just found a pdf that I have for a Sole mini33 marine engine which I believe is the same base engine. It shows a part which is similar to the part that you have temporarily repaired, and states that it is M14

It looks like standard hydraulic banjo for steel tubes. In that case the thread is m14 x 1.5 pitch, you will also need to measure the diameter of the hole and the size off the threaded end to get the correct item as 3 types exist. Light ( L), medium (S) and heavy, they are all probably 1.5 pitch with a choice of 3 sizes relating to each tube size.

Dont rely on the banjo hexagon size as different manufactures have different designs.

Use a copper washer for the seal against the sump as the rubber element in a standard dowty washer will soon give up at engine temperstures.

If the tube thread has stripped then somebody may have force a bsp thread onto it, you should replace the hose anyway. You can have made hoses with metric nuts one end and bsp at the other at any hose place.

Pm if you are stuck - I have a stock of fittings at work.

3 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Thank you both for your very helpful responses. The current fitting is original and never removed, so the thread is fine. I will buy an M14x1.5 with copper washer and all should be good.

They appear to be buttons to buy on eBay etc 

I would be interested to know the outcome. Cheers.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Can't you just unscrew the banjo and throw it away and use the plug that is already in the end of the banjo?

I thought of that, but I suspect the bit that fits within the banjo itself is not threaded - so it would run out of thread without making a seal. I will update when I fit a plug.

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

They appear to be buttons to buy on eBay etc 

I would be interested to know the outcome. Cheers.

Same on Amazon ... I am tempted by the magnetic version. I will definitely update with the outcome, but not until the next oil change (probably August).

56 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

I thought of that, but I suspect the bit that fits within the banjo itself is not threaded - so it would run out of thread without making a seal. I will update when I fit a plug.

Same on Amazon ... I am tempted by the magnetic version. I will definitely update with the outcome, but not until the next oil change (probably August).

I am thinking similar after seeing them. Will be interesting to see how you get on. 

• 2 months later...

Hello again. I bought a new M14x1.5 sump plug but ...

The plug is M18x1.5 so I was unable to replace it this time, as I am currently moored on an island in Shiplake Reach on the Thames. Not clever in terms of possibly needing to source a part during an engine service, but nevertheless quite idyllic.

So I just replaced the original plug with banjo fitting. I was right, the banjo has to be present to make a seal as otherwise the threaded part is too short.