Broken Down on Staffs and Worcs

Duncs

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Thank you, Callum, for telling us your side of the story. This just goes to show how a post on here can lead us all up the garden path . I can appreciate that the boaters didn't want to lose any of their holiday time but they could have come back on here and told us that the engineer had come out and fixed the rudder and that they were on their way again. 

haggis

Agreed, downright rude to not come back with an update , especially as the engineer went out of hs way to show concern. They can expect very little sympathy if they encounter another problem and ask the forum for help.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Thank you, Callum, for telling us your side of the story. This just goes to show how a post on here can lead us all up the garden path . I can appreciate that the boaters didn't want to lose any of their holiday time but they could have come back on here and told us that the engineer had come out and fixed the rudder and that they were on their way again. 

haggis

Don’t forget to mention the biscuits, as I like biscuits and it was a lovely gesture given the fact that the rudder failure was not the hire companies fault.

I would have tied them up on chairs and force fed them the cherry bakewells ramming them in with a broom handle.  I bet thet dunc their biscuits in tea.:)

Edited by bizzard

2 hours ago, Callum sumner said:

I was the engineer on call for this issue, call received at 6.30pm, talked the customer through the process of relocating the rudder into its cup so they could continue navigating sooner if able to solve easily, about 10 mins later they informed me that they were unable to relocate the rudder, I advised them to moor up for the evening and we could go out to them first thing, they preferred a call out straight away as they had forgot to fill up with water and earlier that day one of them had fallen overboard and needed a shower, I made my way to them, on the way I purchases 3 bottles of mineral water, box of cherry bakewells, 2 cheesecakes and a packet of custard creams so they could at least have a cup of tea while the issue was being resolved, it took 10 mins to relocate, and I navigated the autherley narrows for them as the experience had knocked their confidence, they seemed very happy with the outcome, I arrived home at 9.30pm

Well done sir. 

2 hours ago, Callum sumner said:

I was the engineer on call for this issue, call received at 6.30pm, talked the customer through the process of relocating the rudder into its cup so they could continue navigating sooner if able to solve easily, about 10 mins later they informed me that they were unable to relocate the rudder, I advised them to moor up for the evening and we could go out to them first thing, they preferred a call out straight away as they had forgot to fill up with water and earlier that day one of them had fallen overboard and needed a shower, I made my way to them, on the way I purchases 3 bottles of mineral water, box of cherry bakewells, 2 cheesecakes and a packet of custard creams so they could at least have a cup of tea while the issue was being resolved, it took 10 mins to relocate, and I navigated the autherley narrows for them as the experience had knocked their confidence, they seemed very happy with the outcome, I arrived home at 9.30pm

I take back my earlier post wholeheartedly,  far from being a poor show , it turns out excellent customer service has been given , well done Callum.

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Last time I was in there, they had a basket of white bread cheese sarnies on the bar, sweating away individually wrapped up in clingfilm....

The old BR sandwich may be gone from the railways, but can still be found. Did the landlord used to work for BR?

Home safely, thank you all for the great advice, I did get persistent with the hire company and they came out and did pretty much what quite a few of you suggested, took the guy around 20 minutes and we managed to moor up just before dark. Once again I really appreciate the help I had with planning my week on the water and for all the comments when I had my hiccup yesterday. 

Hope to be cruising again soon, think I have been bitten with the bug ??

Forgive me not mentioning that Callum did indeed go above and beyond, I could not get internet at the mooring to say that all got resolved.

Thank you Callum and I will be giving you a five star review and how you did indeed go above and beyond !!

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Callum sumner said:

Well done and fair play to you 

5 minutes ago, Duncs said:

Forgive me not mentioning that Callum did indeed go above and beyond, I could not get internet at the mooring to say that all got resolved.

Thank you Callum and I will be giving you a five star review and how you did indeed go above and beyond !!

Well said

6 minutes ago, Duncs said:

One of the problems with cruising, hit and miss tinternet.

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:
On 05/06/2019 at 18:46, hider said:

And the name of the hire company who expect hiring pensioners to relocate a rudder is?

.Apologies Callum for suggesting that the attention was wanting. I should know better.

As always the full story is very different from the assumption.  Sorry.

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:
On 05/06/2019 at 18:46, hider said:

And the name of the hire company who expect hiring pensioners to relocate a rudder is?

.Apologies Callum for suggesting that the attention was wanting. I should know better.

As always the full story is very different from the assumption.  Sorry.

Dunc or should it be Dunk?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Callum sumner said:

That should be the norm for all canal breakdown services.

• Greenie 1

On 06/06/2019 at 07:17, Alan de Enfield said:

Why thank you kind Sir, but I claim no originality - it is even in the Collins Dictionary and a word in common usage.

We first hired a NB about 45-50 years ago and took an American friend with us - he unfortunately lost his glasses in the cut, so it was off with the shoes and socks and 'sploging about' with bare feet until we found them.

Origin of Plodge

Late 18th century; earliest use found in Francis Grose (d. 1791), antiquary. Probably an imitative alteration of plod, perhaps after e.g. plunge, trudge.

plodge in British

(plɒdʒ ) Northeast England dialect

verb
1. (intransitive)
to wade in water,
noun
the act of wading

In New Zealand it became splodge, or more commonly used as splodging,  to describe walking through deep mud, in gumboots, (wellys) or tramping boots, (hiking boots) the word becoming nicely onomatopaeic in the process. New Zealand English borrowed more heavily from the North and Scotland then Australia, where convicts and their guards largely from the south contributed more to both language and accent. A kiwi would splodge down a flooded muddy towpath in his gummies.

Edited by DandV

On 06/06/2019 at 08:44, Rickent said:

I can't believe the hire company actually encouraged the op to sort out the problem themselves. 

Something very simple maybe, but in this case , a visit to the boat was essential.

As was said earlier, what if the op put their back out trying to put the rudder back in. Poor show from the hire company. 

It seems all is now well here, and "all's well that end well", particularly if it involves custard creams! Nice one Callum!  :D

The cautionary tale is there for hirers though. Imagine if the OP's reseating of the rudder in the cup is partially successful so he continues his holiday. Later, when the boat it is reverse, the rudder jumps out again and this time impacts the propeller...

Edited by Sea Dog
Custard creams