River Nene - Moorings

bpboat

Featured Posts

We're planning to take our 43 foot narrowboat on the River Nene this summer.  We share the boat with others and between us are planning to be on the river (and the Middle Levels) for a few weeks or more.   We may need to leave the boat unattended now and then for short periods of time, possibly up to a week, so we're wondering where we can safely do this.  We have the Imray guide, but it's not clear about how long one can stay on the moorings listed in the book.  We have also joined FOTRN and have the moorings booket, but these moorings are limited to 48 hours.  Obviously one option is to go to marinas, but ideally we'd like to avoid that cost!

(NB We're signed up for EA flood alerts for the R.Nene so would be watching the levels and would come back quickly if needed.)

Any ideas please?  Many thanks!

Edited by bpboat
Adding extra info

If you need to leave it for any period get a temporary mooring in a marina.

Other than that look at AWCC clubs assuming you are a member.

I would not leave my boat out on the river for an extended period unless I was sure that the weather was going to be dry.

There were a few spots for wild mooring that I would be happy to leave my boat at for a day or so provided weather forecast was good but this was in 2013 so situation may well have changed. Things can change in a week with weather though and there are enough marinas and bankside mooring clubs that should have space...

Although the chap you pay for mooring at Fotheringhay might let you pay to stay a week as there is so much mooring there I doubt it's ever more than half full...

Edited by Dave123

Hi and thanks to all three of you for your advice.  Especially useful was Loddon's suggestion about the AWCC clubs as I didn't know about them at all and this has given us two extra marina's.  

I've now looked up and have phoned all the marinas to find out availability and costs.  A few marinas don't have visitor moorings and lots of the Imray info is out of date so it's been very important to call to find out.  In case anyone else finds this info useful I've listed these at the bottom of this message.

A couple of other questions: will we be able to turn round in many places on the Nene (we're 43foot)?

Are there any 14 day or 48 hour moorings between Gayton Junction and Northampton, and how safe do people think these are?  Or perhaps it's better to moor in Northampton Marina?

Many thanks, 

BP

MARINAS and MOORINGS in order from Northampton to P’Borough then to Ely

(ABC Leisure, Gayton Junction (Northampton Arm) 01604 858685  Hire, repairs, pumpout, diesel, chandlery )

Northampton Marina 01604 604344 (Mon to Fri). No reply 07867 580129 (Sat & Sun)

Billing Aquadrome Marina, Northampton.  01604 408181/5.  No reply.  Probably £10 per night.

White Mills Marina, Imray p.24, near Earls Barton.  01604 812057. 

£12 per night.  8 spaces and they would fit us in somewhere if those were full.  Very friendly guy on phone. 

[20M and 15 locks=35LM/3=12 hours between W.Mills Marina and Middle Nene Cruising Club

[25M and 16locks = 41/3 = 14 hours between W.Mills Marina and Lilford Marina]

Willy Watt & Blackthorn Marina, Imray p.34 BOTH FULL, unlikely to have free space

Woodfood Riverside Marina, Imray p.38, not marked on map.   07740 169403 no visitor moorings.

Middle Nene Cruising Club, Titchmarsh Lock    http://www.middle-nene-cc.co.uk/

Harbourmaster. Tony Rollings Tel: 07795 124020.  Very friendly and obliging on phone, yes we can stay for one or a few nights, no charge but a donation please – perhaps £5 per night.

[3M and 2 locks from Middle Nene CC at Titchmarsh Lock to Lilford Marina]

Lilford Marina, Imray p.46, 01832 272230.  http://www.lilfordmarina.co.uk/   Will probably have spaces (see email from Dolf), need to book in advance, £10 per night or £50 pw. 

Oundle Marina, Imray p.46          01832 272762

Availability changes day by day, need to book in in advance with Jacky, the manageress, £12 per night or £42 for a week. 

(Peterborough Boating and Stanground do not have moorings)

Peterborough Yacht Club.  Harbour Master: 07787 777 519, Rick Loach.  Yes visitor moorings, give them a few days notice.  Donation instead of a fee.  * NB will need to give them £50 cheque as deposit for key to marina, they’ll rip it up once we’ve returned the key. 

Middle Levels

(Floods Ferry Marina, Middle Levels 4 miles SW of March, 01354 677302. NO VISITOR MOORINGS)

Fox Narrowboats in March (Middle Levels) 01354 652770/3 (Tracy).  Yes no problem, call them 24 hours in advance.  £10 a night or £41.28 for a week. 

Popes Corner Marina/Fish & Duck Marina, 3m S of Ely (R.Cam) 01353 648081.    https://www.fishandduck.co.uk/.  Yes, give them a couple of days notice. £15 a night or £50 for a week. 

And see this page for marinas near Cambridge: https://www.eastcambs.gov.uk/content/marinas

We used to overnight just past 13 where it narrows, now dont bother and use Northampton Marina. Spent 2 weeks there in April waiting for Earls Barton stoppage to come off. :(

Dont even think about stopping between 14 and 17 apart from just above 17, Marina is nicer.

Edited by Loddon

You will have no problem turning round a 43 foot boat on most stretches of the the River Nene . If planning any 'wild mooring ' then a gang plank is handy as often shallow against the bank that also applies to some Friends of the River Nene sites.  The Nene is a lovely river I'm sure you will enjoy your visit .  

16 hours ago, bpboat said:

Thanks, all useful info.

Last question: what are moorings like at Gayton Junction?  OK to leave boat unattended for a few days?

Thanks.

Immediately from Gayton there are some lengthy permanent moorings.