Non-return valve in bilge pump hose

Cas446

Featured Posts

Went for my lunchtime walk today and i came across a sinking boat. I helped with a few pumps and pleased to say it was recovered. Anyway, it looked like the boat was aground and the water level dropped so that the bilge outlet went under water, the engine compartment filled up pulling the boat over until the kitchen sink then overtopped and filled the cabin. There are a few issues here with low hull oulets and no auto bilge setup, but the boat sunk due to water through the bilge hose. 

Does anyone have a non return valve fitted to prevent this?

I have one fitted. When I bought my boat I found the bilge pump outlet was so close to the waterline that water entered the outlet pipe and set up a back-syphon into the bilge. So the auto bilge pump kept operating every few minutes. 

I changed the bilge pump pipe so that it now rises above the hull outlet before dropping to the outlet. This alone prevents back-syphoning but I put a non-return valve in the pipe to be sure. 

2 hours ago, RichLech said:

I changed the bilge pump pipe so that it now rises above the hull outlet before dropping to the outlet. This alone prevents back-syphoning but I put a non-return valve in the pipe to be sure. 

I always try to route mine like that. It can save you boat from sinking and it often overlooked. But the valve sounds like a good idea too.

416-170319120117.jpeg

The trouble with a NRV in conjunction with a bilge pump is that it reduces the efficiency of the pump significantly. But I guess that's the lesser of two evils if the outlet is too close to the waterline and/or you can't route the hose up before going down to the outlet.