South Oxford Cruise

Featured Posts

On 04/06/2019 at 22:00, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hang on a second. WHAT bar is this? They have a bar now? With proper draft ale? !! 

Update. Not only a proper bar but as we speak a bloody good band is being arranged for an evening here. We will also have real ale and oodles of cider and other stuff. Looking like august  7th and already going to be busy. It will be ticket only to control numbers. Not expensive tickets though. Watch this space if yer interested or PM me :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If you have Old Rosie I'm on my way.

We have bloody good scrumpy from Napton old boy.

On 05/06/2019 at 11:53, Athy said:

You didn't even stay for one, after I had reported that the only real ale available had undertones of floor polish, if memory serves!

What's wrong with the taste of floor polish?

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Quick, unpostpone it and get going NOW, the forecast for the second half of this week looks fab. And not too shabby beyond that either.

MInd you, I went out for a walk at about 11 this morning as the BBC told me the probability of rain was 1%. Guess what happened.

I went for a mile walk this morning!!! The boat keep pulling me back. Only took an hour or so. And it chucked it down.

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Update. Not only a proper bar but as we speak a bloody good band is being arranged for an evening here. We will also have real ale and oodles of cider and other stuff. Looking like august  7th and already going to be busy. It will be ticket only to control numbers. Not expensive tickets though. Watch this space if yer interested or PM me :cheers:

We have bloody good scrumpy from Napton old boy.

But not old Rosie? Is this bloody good scrumpy from a Napton a still cider?

22 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I went for a mile walk this morning!!! The boat keep pulling me back. Only took an hour or so. And it chucked it down.

Had I known what you were up to when I was out walking I wouldn't have felt so bad! The upside of my walk was that I popped into Budgens on the way back and found they had 454g packs of Porky Whites back in stock, currently on offer for £1.89.

OK, they may not be as fantastic as The Pig Place sausages but they are a damn good bargain and I reckon they give Braunston Bangers a run for their money and (I think) less than half the price.

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

But not old Rosie? Is this bloody good scrumpy from a Napton a still cider?

Oh yessum, proper still cider.

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Had I known what you were up to when I was out walking I wouldn't have felt so bad! The upside of my walk was that I popped into Budgens on the way back and found they had 454g packs of Porky Whites back in stock, currently on offer for £1.89.

OK, they may not be as fantastic as The Pig Place sausages but they are a damn good bargain and I reckon they give Braunston Bangers a run for their money and (I think) less than half the price.

Ive just had a huge Pork chop from the shop ere. Bloomin awesome, its a tough life :D

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh yessum, proper still cider.

Ive just had a huge Pork chop from the shop ere. Bloomin awesome, its a tough life :D

When we got home from the boat on Sunday Sharon had a pork chop from Braunston Butchers. Her verdict, unsurprisingly, was that it was a lot nicer than those from the supermarket but definitely NOT as nice as the rare breed chops from The Pig Place.

I'm really going to have to pull my finger out and make a detour to TPP on our way to or from the boat soon.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

TPP? You missed an 'S' The Pig n Sheep Place I believe now. 

Strange comment follows. I sometimes have pork that to me tastes like Pig. Maybe a bit strong or summat. But my wife understands. Anyone else?

No Martyn, you're just strange ?

What does it taste like when it doesn't taste like pig?

I think you said you hadn't tried the meat from TPP? I wonder what you'd think their chops taste like, they definitely have a stronger flavour, in a very good way.

Once they put lamb on the menu shouldn't it be TP&LP? Or just TPLP.

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

TPP? You missed an 'S' The Pig n Sheep Place I believe now. 

Strange comment follows. I sometimes have pork that to me tastes like Pig. Maybe a bit strong or summat. But my wife understands. Anyone else?

I know what you mean. It has a taste about it the same as the smell of pigs in the farm yard.

Not particularly nice and a reason I don't find locally slaughtered pork from places like TPP as delicious as I want it to be. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know what you mean. It has a taste about it the same as the smell of pigs in the farm yard.

Not particularly nice and a reason I don't find locally slaughtered pork from places like TPP as delicious as I want it to be. 

Thank you.  Spot on. (And not a Gloucester Spot) Sanity. That's two of us then. At least.

See Sean, I'm not alone.

Edited by Nightwatch

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Thank you.  Sanity. That's two of us then. At least. See Sean I'm not alone.

All that proves is that there are at least two strange blokes on the forum ?

I'm a bit worried that next time I get pork chops from TPP I may also start to think they just a little bit too piggy!

You should try the sausages though, when you get the chance. I'd be surprised if you said the same about them.

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank you.  Spot on. (And not a Gloucester Spot) Sanity. That's two of us then. At least.

See Sean, I'm not alone.

Correct, Oxford Sandy and Black, not Gloucester Old Spot. I think. No doubt Tim will correct me if I've mis-remembered.

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm a bit worried that next time I get pork chops from TPP I may also start to think they just a little bit too piggy!

You should try the sausages though, when you get the chance. I'd be surprised if you said the same about them.

So would I!

6 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

The chops etc do indeed smell very piggy!! We are all used to buying the washed, sanitised crap from sloopermarkets that proper meat sometimes now seems alien. The difference however is in the taste!! By the way the pigs here are Oxford sandy and blacks and yes there are  seven lambs that will be going away for a couple of days in september or october and coming back in " Kit Form " ready for dinner. Blimey Sean was typing same time as myself!!

Edited by mrsmelly

5 hours ago, johnmck said:

https://www.redhillfarm.com/

Undoubtedly,  the very best pork comes from Redhill farm in Lincolnshire. 

It is superb.

Looking at the prices online does it come gift wrapped in 24 ct gold leaf wrapping and delivered by helicopter with free champagne?

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Looking at the prices online does it come gift wrapped in 24 ct gold leaf wrapping and delivered by helicopter with free champagne?

We used to buy it either direct from the farm, or from one of the local farmers markets. Yup, not cheap, but worth every penny. 

15 minutes ago, johnmck said:

We used to buy it either direct from the farm, or from one of the local farmers markets. Yup, not cheap, but worth every penny. 

I agree that good stuff doesnt come cheap, the pork here is moocho more expensive than rubbish from places like waitrose but berlimey the loin per kilo at Redhill Farm is truly an eyewatering price innitt  :o

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree that good stuff doesnt come cheap, the pork here is moocho more expensive than rubbish from places like waitrose but berlimey the loin per kilo at Redhill Farm is truly an eyewatering price innitt  :o

Don't go suggesting to Sara that she should put her prices up Tim!

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Believe me, once you have tasted it, the price is worth it. Never bought it online, but when we pop to Lincoln,  often make a bulk purchase from the shop at the top of steep hill. It's a treat. Yum.