South Oxford Cruise

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You can get a decent pint for as little as £4.00 here, sometimes. 

My mate texted me to say he was supping Bank Top beer at £2.50 a pint last night.

I suppose it's some consolation for being stuck near Burnley waiting for the canal to reopen...

When were you last in the Red Lion in Cropredy, Mike?

A new landlady took over at the tail end of last year, and the beer has improved.

The White Horse in Banbury is an excellent real ale pub with Everards Tiger and at least 4 guest ales always on tap.

Edited by billS

11 minutes ago, Alan B said:

The Duke at Clifton which is half a mile or so away from the canal at Aynho is recommended. In this year’s Good Beer Guide and regularly serves Turpin’s beers

Dick's Bitter and Randolph's Mild?

I have never heard of them!

12 minutes ago, billS said:

When were you last in the Red Lion in Cropredy, Mike?

A new landlady took over at the tail end of last year, and the beer has improved.

As it happens I went for a pint in there with Athy a few months back. We didn't stay for a second, deciding to walk up to the Brasenose. 

Maybe I should try it again. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

As it happens I went for a pint in there with Athy a few months back. We didn't stay for a second, deciding to walk up to the Brasenose. 

Maybe I should try it again. 

You didn't even stay for one, after I had reported that the only real ale available had undertones of floor polish, if memory serves!

15 minutes ago, Alan B said:

The Duke at Clifton which is half a mile or so away from the canal at Aynho is recommended. In this year’s Good Beer Guide and regularly serves Turpin’s beers

I was at their beer festival last weekend.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

You didn't even stay for one, after I had reported that the only real ale available had undertones of floor polish, if memory serves!

I think you're right! 

I'm perhaps being oversensitive, but I always pick up a marked reluctance on the part of the locals who crowd the bar in there to move back and let me get to the bar on the odd occasion I go in there. I do find this off-putting. Maybe its to do with the layout of the bar but I always feel like an unwelcome intruder. 

Many many years ago I had an absolutely fantastic couple of pints and superb round of sandwiches in there one summer's lunchtime. I suppose I go back once in a awhile hoping to repeat the experience. I've always been disappointed so far.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

For the south Oxfords best bargain proper pub, moor at Nell bridge and walk a mile up to Adderbury. Visit the Coach and Horses were Tony keeps a good pint of 6x. You can have a sarnie for £1.50 or a hot sarnie such as bacon or fish fingers at £2.00. If you are feeling flush a full plated meal is £3.50 and a sunday lunch is £4.00. These are standard prices all the time, not occasional gimmicks. The homemade chicken curry with rice or chips is great for £3.50. Dont expect indian quality curry buts its a bloomin bargain. Sort of place to go for a few beers with friends and stop and eat without need of a mortgage. Sunday lunch MUST be booked its always full.

That reminds me I missed off the Great Western at Anyhow. 

I've had some really good Old Hooky in there, but sadly they only have it in winter. 

Better than average food in there too, but at high enough prices to make boaters whinge and whine like they are being cheated, or something. 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

My mate texted me to say he was supping Bank Top beer at £2.50 a pint last night.

I suppose it's some consolation for being stuck near Burnley waiting for the canal to reopen...

I suspect he'll have time to try the fine Moorhouses and Reedley Hallows before it does. In terms of inconvenience, available beer choice may ameliorate his situation.

/G

5 hours ago, Athy said:

It's worth noting that the Co-op in Fenny Compton sells a variety of beers - including, when we visited it at Easter, my current favourite Ubu from the fairly local Purity Brewery. They also sell a range of food, a commodity which many boaters find goes quite well with beer. It's a country mile's walk from the canal (take the track beside the marina and turn left at the bottom), but worth the effort.

Problem with Fenny Compton when traveling south is that when you arrive and no moorings are available then it is a very long way before you can tie up. I always plan not to stop at Fenny Compton but if the opportunity arises then I will take it. 

1 minute ago, reg said:

Problem with Fenny Compton when traveling south is that when you arrive and no moorings are available then it is a very long way before you can tie up. I always plan not to stop at Fenny Compton but if the opportunity arises then I will take it. 

Yes, it's easier going North. If going Southwards, we tend to nip into a space before we reach the twin bridges and one crew member walks forward to investigate moorings further along. If there are spaces, crew member goes back to boat and reports, and we set off and hope that no one coming the other way bags all the spaces before we get there!

We hav ealso moored at the marina's wharf if the shop and office have closed for the day, which they do surprisingly early. We then buy diesel the next morning, so if anyone asks, we're bona fide customers awaiting opening time. (Because of their somewhat restricted opening hours, you could get away with two nights at certain times of the week).

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, it's easier going North. If going Southwards, we tend to nip into a space before we reach the twin bridges and one crew member walks forward to investigate moorings further along. If there are spaces, crew member goes back to boat and reports, and we set off and hope that no one coming the other way bags all the spaces before we get there!

We hav ealso moored at the marina's wharf if the shop and office have closed for the day, which they do surprisingly early. We then buy diesel the next morning, so if anyone asks, we're bona fide customers awaiting opening time. (Because of their somewhat restricted opening hours, you could get away with two nights at certain times of the week).

Yes there are a number of places that only with experience will you know about them. 

Another that comes to mind is Hinckley on the Ashby in that case it applies both ways although worst if traveling out towards the Marsden entrance. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

For the south Oxfords best bargain proper pub, moor at Nell bridge and walk a mile up to Adderbury. Visit the Coach and Horses were Tony keeps a good pint of 6x. You can have a sarnie for £1.50 or a hot sarnie such as bacon or fish fingers at £2.00. If you are feeling flush a full plated meal is £3.50 and a sunday lunch is £4.00. These are standard prices all the time, not occasional gimmicks. The homemade chicken curry with rice or chips is great for £3.50. Dont expect indian quality curry buts its a bloomin bargain. Sort of place to go for a few beers with friends and stop and eat without need of a mortgage. Sunday lunch MUST be booked its always full.

Just had a look at their menu online, and the TripAdvisor reviews. Blimey, sounds too good to be true but obviously not given your post Tim!

I may have to go via there on the way to or from the boat next time. Not sure when that will be as a rather unfortunate family issue is keeping us at home at the moment. I'm still hoping we can get to the boat in early July so maybe we'll stop for lunch on the way up.

Do you know what the lunchtime food hours are?

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

:D Ive been here this time since september!! minus a few little cruises. pop down for a beer sometime :cheers:

Um off southern oxford now. Didnt stop at piggery it wasnt on our schedule ( why).

bloody hard not living on boat beans in wrong place and milk goes off

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Just had a look at their menu online, and the TripAdvisor reviews. Blimey, sounds too good to be true but obviously not given your post Tim!

I may have to go via there on the way to or from the boat next time. Not sure when that will be as a rather unfortunate family issue is keeping us at home at the moment. I'm still hoping we can get to the boat in early July so maybe we'll stop for lunch on the way up.

Do you know what the lunchtime food hours are?

Not sure. Start at 6 on the evenings til 8 or 9 depends on day. Lunch is 12 till 2 methinks but I will be going in for a beer very soon so will check. Indeed the food prices are amazing, they make thos Wetherspoon dumps look expensive!! Great pub. See you again when u r next here :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

Due to the crap weather over the last few weeks we decided to postpone our South Oxford trip.

Many thanks to everyone who posted info. It will come in handy, I'm certain. :cheers:

Quick, unpostpone it and get going NOW, the forecast for the second half of this week looks fab. And not too shabby beyond that either.

MInd you, I went out for a walk at about 11 this morning as the BBC told me the probability of rain was 1%. Guess what happened.

30 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Quick, unpostpone it and get going NOW, the forecast for the second half of this week looks fab. And not too shabby beyond that either.

MInd you, I went out for a walk at about 11 this morning as the BBC told me the probability of rain was 1%. Guess what happened.

Sure you sure you didn't misread it? Probably said 1% chance of being dry! ??

Edited by cuthound

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Sure you sure you didn't misread it? Probably said 1% chance of being dry! ??

Its going to be fab tomoz I reckon. I have an awful decision to make. Do I slip from my mooring and bimble off for a night or three somewhere in the wilds or near a pub? Do I go off for a night to the New Forest at my mates pub with fab rooms and go to my sons pub down there for free everything? or do we just go somewhere new for a night for a change in a Hotel?  Life is so hard at times innitt. :D

On 04/06/2019 at 22:03, mrsmelly said:

Fraid no draught ale. In fairness though there are some good bottled ale, and fabulouso ciders and stuff. Well worth a visit and magnifico food from the shop or caff!!

If you have Old Rosie I'm on my way.

On 04/06/2019 at 22:05, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm sure if they got a barrel of say London Pride in and advertised it to passing boaters, they'd sell it in a flash such is the drought on the southern Oxford.

They don't need to do the full 'pub' thing, just sell real ale like The Anchor at High Offley does and nothing else. They'd stack the bar out!

(And double their sales from the meat shop!)

London Pride is a very palatable beer, but there are other good ales available on the South Oxford. Banbury is brilliant. Even near the bakeries it's okay. In the main town moorings it's okay.

The South Oxford is okay.