Opinions on generator

CLAN1

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

I had two of those. First one wouldn't start of a few months and was replaced under guarantee. Second lasted beyond guarantee period then expired in a huge cloud of oil smoke. YMMV.

MP.

that is the same design / model as the one i mentioned earlier and in this thread at the top. Assume same factory different colours. 

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that there is a good chance that either will work on a 1kVA generator. Where in Oxfordshire? If around Oxford I could bring my Honda for you to test them.

Thanks Tony, that's a very kind offer. I am near Oxford but the more I think about it the more I realise this would be an unnecessary purchase so I'll probably give it a miss.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/08/2019 at 19:04, bramley said:

I took delivery of a Auto jack 1200 watt genny today. It last 3 mins before it cut out. I spent a hour fault finding and found it has no spark and i have no idea why. 

Did that include checking the oil level? If it’s just a millimetre below the filling hole it’ll shut down (and not give a spark). 

Running for a short while then cutting out sounds exactly like low oil level to me. 

Especially with no spark. 

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Did that include checking the oil level? If it’s just a millimetre below the filling hole it’ll shut down (and not give a spark). 

Running for a short while then cutting out sounds exactly like low oil level to me. 

My recently expired Yamaha generator (22 years service,) did exactly that. If the oil was a tiny bit low, it would stop after a few mins. It did this from being a youngster. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

afraid so yes. 

I bought one of the impax generators from Screwfix but the next size up.

It developed a fuel leak when past its warranty  which was due to a split fuel pipe.  This was due to the pipe being too small andcstretched over  the fitting to which it was attached. 

Replumbing this has been difficult to achieve as there is little space inside the case.  I would not buy another of the same brand.

On 18/08/2019 at 08:50, Lily Rose said:

Sorry, I was a bit of a silly billy. Did the copy but not the paste.

Yes that's the one and here's the missing link

https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im800i-700w-inverter-generator-230v/15760

Oddly a couple of other people replied, they must have psychic powers!

Do you use it for charging your leisure batteries and, if so, how effective is it for that purpose?

How quiet and how thirsty is it?

Cheers.

When I'm thirsty, I'm quite quiet. When I'm not thirsty, I can get a bit noisy.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I bought one of the impax generators from Screwfix but the next size up.

It developed a fuel leak when past its warranty  which was due to a split fuel pipe.  This was due to the pipe being too small andcstretched over  the fitting to which it was attached. 

Replumbing this has been difficult to achieve as there is little space inside the case.  I would not buy another of the same brand.

When you buy a genny half the price of the competition, this IS the sort of thing you can expect.

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

My Honda Eu20i needs to be full of oil to the brim or it cuts out due to low oil. 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

When you buy a genny half the price of the competition, this IS the sort of thing you can expect.

So it seems.

I hesitate to say the generator has worked okay the last time I used it following my last modification to the fuel pipes  but it has been a pain and I have had the case apart more than a few times.