Selby to Birmingham

jckent

Featured Posts

I intend travelling from Selby to Birmingham but cannot decide on the route!

There seems to be at least 4 options. Has anyone advice on either easiest route or 'best' route?

Thanks in advance

John

1 minute ago, jckent said:

I intend travelling from Selby to Birmingham but cannot decide on the route!

There seems to be at least 4 options. Has anyone advice on either easiest route or 'best' route?

Thanks in advance

John

It depends somewhat on boat type and length. If over 62 ish feet you cannot do the l and l. I would do the Trent to Nottingham for starters anyway.

Thanks

My boat is a 57ft narrowboat 

Quickest route is out of Selby turn right onto the Ouse to trent falls, turn right again and go all the way to Nottingham, then along the soar to the grand Union canal all the way to London

3 minutes ago, jckent said:

Thanks

My boat is a 57ft narrowboat 

I would go down the Trent and up the T and M and across to Brum. I dont know why Peter mentioned London bless him. I would do Thorne and Keadby loads of moorings that way and avoids Trent end if u are inexperienced. Once you leave keadby on the tide u can get off at Cromwell in one hit if timed on correct tide or stop over at west stockwith or torksey. Lovely easy trip.

Thanks

I have heard that mooring on this route is difficult, is that not so?

It will mean long days to say the least, and it would be wise to make sure you know what to do on Tidal waters. Last week I was on the Trent and it was a millpond to say the least, this week bigger tides will make it more fun and faster when traveling with the tide. Unless you want to go over the hill to the west you will have to go on the Trent at some point

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I would go down the Trent and up the T and M and across to Brum. I dont know why Peter mentioned London bless him. I would do Thorne and Keadby loads of moorings that way and avoids Trent end if u are inexperienced. Once you leave keadby on the tide u can get off at Cromwell in one hit if timed on correct tide or stop over at west stockwith or torksey. Lovely easy trip.

Thats easy I saw London on his blurb and cocked up!! for speed though I would still go Nottingham the way I said

We went to Selby, well Ripon, last summer.  The direct route I would have said is Selby canal, Aire and Calder, New Junction, Stainforth and Keadby, Trent, Trent and Mersey, Coventry, Birmingham and Fazeley.  Something like 10 days would do it, 2 weeks would make a more leisurely trip.  Obviously all the locks are at the Birmingham end of the trip.

If you use canal plan you need to be careful with the “via” points, as it desperately wants to send you via Trent Falls, no thank you!

Just noticed the comments about mooring, did not have any problem but you will probably want a night on the Trent at Newark or a bit upstream, so if you can avoid being there at a weekend that will help.  Other than than no problem.

Edited by john6767

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

We went to Selby, well Ripon, last summer.  The direct route I would have said is Selby canal, Aire and Calder, New Junction, Stainforth and Keadby, Trent, Trent and Mersey, Coventry, Birmingham and Fazeley.  Something like 10 days would do it, 2 weeks would make a more leisurely trip.  Obviously all the locks are at the Birmingham end of the trip.

If you use canal plan you need to be careful with the “via” points, as it desperately wants to send you via Trent Falls, no thank you!

Went around it 3 times last year easy peasy , get it right and its a doddle, go down the Ouse on a falling tide drop anchor at the place marked on the chart, if you get there to early, and then go up with the flood should get Torksey if you get timings right. If you fancy Keadby, west Stockwith judge how long it will take you to arrive at high tide where you want to be

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Went around it 3 times last year easy peasy , get it right and its a doddle, go down the Ouse on a falling tide drop anchor at the place marked on the chart, if you get there to early, and then go up with the flood should get Torksey if you get timings right. If you fancy Keadby, west Stockwith judge how long it will take you to arrive at high tide where you want to be

It would certainly take time out of the trip, we took 2 days Selby to Keadby, and then a day Keadby to Torksey.  But I was happy to go that way.

51 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We went to Ripon last year and did that route. (well the northern but as we started on The Chesterfield) It's a lovely and varied trip with different rivers and different canals and navigations all with differing character. 

I would add that for me the "best route" would involve a short detour at West Stockwith to visit The Chesterfield Canal. It's the most beautiful canal in the country and yet boaters keep on cruising past West Stockwith without stopping for some reason i can't understand!

30 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

We went to Ripon last year and did that route. (well the northern but as we started on The Chesterfield) It's a lovely and varied trip with different rivers and different canals and navigations all with differing character. 

I would add that for me the "best route" would involve a short detour at West Stockwith to visit The Chesterfield Canal. It's the most beautiful canal in the country and yet boaters keep on cruising past West Stockwith without stopping for some reason i can't understand!

Its what most boaters do I am afraid. If its not bang in the middle of the country and called " Braunston " most dont seem to venture there. Up to Ripon is fabulous for instance as is Bath and a stay in Bristol. The erewash is passed by countless boats countless times a year but how many actualy visit the Great Northern basin? Not the most beautiful canal, granted but well worth the two day trip there and back or at a more leisurely pace. If its not called " A ring " its not in vogue Im afraid.

I can understand folks wanting to do a ring but ....

As you say The Erewash is missed by many (and I did find it a very attractive canal the twice we have done it) 

Everyone wants to do The Llangollen (which is not a ring) but The Chesterfield is just as pretty but without the crowds. On a really bust day in the school holidays we might see 4 boats moving (and two of them will be boaters from our home moorings.

This weekend we traveled through Braunston. We spent hours on tickover passing moored boats, we spent even more hours not much above tickover following some newby boaters (hirers) who felt it beneficial to slow down for every bridge hole and take long glances up each side of the boat as they lined it up while getting great advise from arms being waved about by the other 6 helms in placed in the bow of the boat. (Yes I know, we all started somewhere) but it is frustrating and it takes a lot of patience to follow such a boat when you know that, even if an opportunity to overtake arose, you were unlikely to take it in case it freaked the hirer out! 

This is why I got glared at for "stealing" a lock at Hillmorton when the boat leaving the lock gave me the all clear to turn it when a boat was just around the corner - I asked them to open the gate and let the boat in but they jumped on board and left when the boat in the adjacent lock shouted not to worry - they can come in here instead. People get frustrated abd fractious and tempers flare. I am glad we are not on the main drag. We hired a car to get back to pick our own car up today after 18 days 266 miles and 173 locks. We stopped to eat a sandwich outside the clubhouse at Clayworth  and I realised that while I have seen some really wonderful sights on our travels, none of them are in any way better than this snap I took while eating lunch. 

Sorry to hijack your thread but I can highly recommend some time in Ripon (we got stuck there when Selby Lock went out of action last year) York is amazing, Selby is too - with some great charity shops and restuarants. Sadly the lovely museaum at Goole is closed now or I would have suggested a short detour there as well. 

61796335_10157116635649070_2555273840519

• Greenie 1

Thank you all.

I should have said that I really wanted to go over the Pennines but there are about 4 options - via Skipton, via Rochdale Canal, via the Huddersfield the either Macclesfield or Bridgewater canals. I know there are lots of either locks and/or swing bridges and a very long tunnel depending upon route so what I would like to know is which of these routes would be easiest for us. I ask because we are both recovering from medical conditions that have set us back a bit and we are both in our 70s now so not quite so sprightly any more. We have done the Skipton to Wigan route before and loved it but to get there involves many heavy swing bridges. 

Any advice would be welcome.  Incidentally the Trent does sound interesting!!!

I would say that if you really want to go over the penines then do it.

If you have the time to enjoy the trip then you can take your time and build yourselves back up slowly. I have twice found that going boating has helped to speed up my recovery from illness/an operation. So much so that last year after an op on my knee when I went boating on a pair the basis that I was there only to make the tea and take the photos my physio declared me to be around 5 weeks ahead of expected recovery upon my return. It was the gentle movement I needed to do do keep my balance in a boat that rocks slightly that was perfect physiotherapy!  So long as you do not over exert yourselves the fresh air, gentle exercise and feel good factor you get from boating will help you recover.

Many of the most difficult and heavily locked sections do have help available if booked in advance and, where they are wide locks wait for another boat to come along and share the load. If the other boat is single handed suggest breasting up through the locks so it gives two to work the locks.

53 minutes ago, jckent said:

Thank you all.

I should have said that I really wanted to go over the Pennines but there are about 4 options - via Skipton, via Rochdale Canal, via the Huddersfield the either Macclesfield or Bridgewater canals. I know there are lots of either locks and/or swing bridges and a very long tunnel depending upon route so what I would like to know is which of these routes would be easiest for us. I ask because we are both recovering from medical conditions that have set us back a bit and we are both in our 70s now so not quite so sprightly any more. We have done the Skipton to Wigan route before and loved it but to get there involves many heavy swing bridges. 

I have done the Huddersfield narrow and the L & L both are hard work but worth it, take your time and it will be an enjoyable journey, do be aware though water is already getting scarce so earlier rather than later might be best

1 hour ago, jckent said:

Thank you all.

In my opinion you have answered your own question. The Trent is indeed very interesting and far easier in a physical sense for you and the staff.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In my opinion you have answered your own question. The Trent is indeed very interesting and far easier in a physical sense for you and the staff.

I find the Trent boring Tim, however its a great thing to get to interesting places

Thank you all.

Maybe the Huddersfield will be the choice since they are narrow locks - which we prefer. 

We are starting off in a couple of weeks so hopefully there will still be some water left for us.

41 minutes ago, jckent said:

Thank you all.

Maybe the Huddersfield will be the choice since they are narrow locks - which we prefer. 

We are starting off in a couple of weeks so hopefully there will still be some water left for us.

You will find it an enjoyable experience I would think I know I did

The Huddersfield Narrow is a lovely canal and I found it less physically demanding than the Rochdale. The western end of the Rochdale from Rochdale in to Manchester is a bit grim. You will need to book your Standedge tunnel passage on the CaRT web site. The sooner the better as passages are limited. Also, check your boat height and width against the tunnel guidelines before you start. If the CaRT boys and girls in blue cannot get your boat within gauge, then they won't let you through and you'll have to turn round and come all the way back again. Lots more on CWDF. Do a search. Lack of water and locks failing may put a stop to this route. The earlier in the boating system you go, the higher the probability of success.

The least physically demanding is Selby Canal, Aire&Calder, New Junction, Sheff & S Yorkshire to Keadby, then up the tidal Trent. I've not done the alternative trip around Trent Falls from the Ouse but it has the reputation of being quite hard core in a narrowboat and I am guessing you are relative newbies. The Tidal Trent from Keadby to Cromwell locks still needs some preparation and a boat in good condition. In particular, the cooling system needs to be able to withstand hours of continuous hard engine use without overheating. Lifejackets recommended. Again, search on CWDF if you are interested in this route. If you prepare it can be a very pleasant trip. If not, then things can go very wrong.

Jen

46 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The Huddersfield Narrow is a lovely canal and I found it less physically demanding than the Rochdale. The western end of the Rochdale from Rochdale in to Manchester is a bit grim. You will need to book your Standedge tunnel passage on the CaRT web site. The sooner the better as passages are limited. Also, check your boat height and width against the tunnel guidelines before you start. If the CaRT boys and girls in blue cannot get your boat within gauge, then they won't let you through and you'll have to turn round and come all the way back again. Lots more on CWDF. Do a search. Lack of water and locks failing may put a stop to this route. The earlier in the boating system you go, the higher the probability of success.

The least physically demanding is Selby Canal, Aire&Calder, New Junction, Sheff & S Yorkshire to Keadby, then up the tidal Trent. I've not done the alternative trip around Trent Falls from the Ouse but it has the reputation of being quite hard core in a narrowboat and I am guessing you are relative newbies. The Tidal Trent from Keadby to Cromwell locks still needs some preparation and a boat in good condition. In particular, the cooling system needs to be able to withstand hours of continuous hard engine use without overheating. Lifejackets recommended. Again, search on CWDF if you are interested in this route. If you prepare it can be a very pleasant trip. If not, then things can go very wrong.

Jen

Actually Jen Trent falls is very easy no drama for the three times I did it last year, There is safe anchorage so you can go down say in the day from Selby on the out going tide, anchor up for the evening, then go up the Trent on the next tide to wherever you have decided, best if its Keadby or West Stockworth to arrive at the top of the tide for easy entry. I would do this journey in preference to the long way around, but thats me

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Actually Jen Trent falls is very easy no drama for the three times I did it last year, There is safe anchorage so you can go down say in the day from Selby on the out going tide, anchor up for the evening, then go up the Trent on the next tide to wherever you have decided, best if its Keadby or West Stockworth to arrive at the top of the tide for easy entry. I would do this journey in preference to the long way around, but thats me

Hi Peter,

I am sure it is for you. However, we don't know the boating experience, or the boat of the OP and the questions they have asked suggests they are at the least not familiar with the northern waterways and may possibly not have much boating experience at all. It is no drama for you, but a novice boater in a new to them boat might not have quite that experience. I met a very shook up boater a couple of years ago who went out of Naburn lock heading for Selby on a too powerful a flow. Got swept past Selby Lock, past Barmby Barrage and ran aground on a mud flat. They had to be dragged off and towed in to Goole by the rescue boat. Local knowledge and preparation is everything in making drama free.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies