BMC 1.5 Glow plug removal

Steve.GB

Featured Posts

Every few hundred hours I remove the glow plugs, clean out the channel and replace the old plugs. They have top be worried out to avoid snapping. I normally warm the engine up a bit first.

My question is does anyone know if they come out easier when the engine is hot or cold or is it possible to just turn the engine over cold to try to get some diesel on the ends as a lubricant?

Whenever possible I always did them hot in the hope the heat would soften the carbon a little but probably just a forlorn hope. I also used to coat the tips in Copaslip when refitting in te hope the copper itself would remain on the tip and form a sheer plane for the carbon next time they were to be removed - probably another forlorn hope

They are just a difficult item to remove, as you say working them in and out is the easiest way.

They come out easier with the head warm I have found, and use a deep socket to turn them without levering sideways. 

Thanks for your comments.  As it happens these came out today sweetly with little effort. The engine was cold. I had fitted reconditioned injectors at the same time the glow plugs were last cleaned, 230 hours ago. I think there has been much less carbon build up as a result.